cargo area heat ???

whitesplumbing

When our brand new sprinter gets back from the dealer we are going to need to outfit the rear cargo area with a heater as we leave the truck outside and we don't like the idea of grabbing -20 to -35 F tools and parts to make a repair.

What style is everyone using: coolant or a auxiliary diesel air heater?

Were are you mounting them and how difficult was it to install?

What brand do you use and would you buy another one?

We plan to have the van shot with a 1" of urethane between the ribs and the ribs filled before we sheet the inside of the van so that it will heat easier. Our van has the bench seat up front and the full bulkhead I was thinking of installing a diesel air heater under the passenger seat and cut a hole through the bulk head to the cargo area that way it would be protected and out of the way. But I haven't looked under the rig to see whats under that part of the van and I've never seen or installed one of those style heaters so I'm not sure if it will work there or even if it's a goo idea.

Any thoughts??:thinking:

I have a dsl fire auxillary heater in the 2003, Installation took about 2 days for 2 people who are not mechanics. Material cost about $900.00 5 years ago. Works very well. I should have gotten a larger size than was recommended. The heater is mounted in hte cargo area, and has been trouble free.

I have a hot-water heat exchanger in the 2005. the cost about $350.00, plus labor. the fan is noisy, but does a good job of moving the warm air. However, I would not use the hot-water heater in a Sprinter unless you have the factory installed dsl fire heater. I have to run the dsl heater to get any heat from the heat exchanger, my TIN Sprinters just do not produce enough heat to heat the cargo area.

Both of my Sprinters have spray foam insulation. It makes the body tighter, quieter and warmer. I tried the styrofoam sheets in my Step Van and found them not to be as good as the spray foam. Of course, the spray foam is more expensive.

My Sprinters have 1/8" press-board as a liner in the back. That seems to work well.

whitesplumbing

When the van gets back we are definitely getting a rear heating system installed in both trucks. Last night we went out on a service call for some busted pipes in an apartment bldg. -30F outside and our press tool would turn on because it was also -30F and out of the temperature range so not wanting to wait an hour for it to warm up we put it in the tenets electric oven and turned it up to 350 F. In 15min we had a nice toasty press tool and got the job done.:smirk:

rivmin

I plan to mount a air-heater under the middle passenger seat.
Input air will be taken from the front cabin, and the hot output air will go to the cargo area...just as you described.

I will use a Webasto AirTop2000ST 12v diesel air heater.
It's quite simple to mount - I hope :)

Then I'll install a extra battery under the other passenger seat, and use a battery separator, so it will not drain my main start battery.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I fitted an Airtop 2000 several years ago: it was quite straightforward. It's been totally reliable, if anything it gives out more heat than is needed with a bulkhead fitted (i.e. mine is heating the cab space, not the load space although I can imagine it would do that ok).

whitesplumbing

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4955

this is were i installed a D2 it works great.... I will eventually finish the write up.

Tom McD

Tom the D2 was plenty of heat for the cargo area? we are looking at urethaning our box before we install the shelving units but we do see so -20 to -30F days and I would like the unit to keep the area warm. Granted I not living back their so all it needs to do is keep the chill off things.

Nathan

mobileoilchange

hi,
i have a 28000 btu heater in the rear of my cube van. on a 10 degree day it will warm the rear cube cargo area to about 60-70 degrees if the doors are shut. my cargo area is 7' H x 8' W x 14' L non insulated. it usually takes about 1 hour or less to get it to the 60-70 degrees. usually i will let my van run for about 15 minutes before i leave in the morning and by the time i get to my job site its warm and all my tools and equipment are warm. i installed a factory fan switch for the blower motor in the front cab that controlls the speed and turns it on and off. the complete installation took about 2-3 hours. thats including the wiring, routing the hoses, and mounting the heater itself. for less then $200.00 you cant go wrong. its just a heater core with a squirel cage blower. i bought this same one from summit. when i ordered the heater i almost thought i would need 2 but 1 does me good. its been 5 years now and i havent had any problems with it yet.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...art=SUM-991105&N=700+-128255+115&autoview=sku

Whitesplumbing,
You did say "Any thoughts?"

First let me say I can't imagine dealing with the conditions for maintenance in Alaska.

You've probably already considered this. Would it be more effective to set up an insulated box or section within the insulated van for the tools and materials are that are critical? Maybe an adjustable frame and tarp/tarps? It would then take less time to bring up to temperature and would need a smaller heater unit. It would also keep the things you care about warm even if the doors were open for a bit. Hope this helps.

sprintereei

Re: Cargo area heat ???

We use a Wabasco unit in our commercial uninsulated van. It was easy to install. It is floor mounted on the rear wheel well. They are great because they create heat without running the engine. They burn the fuel and are an heat - air exchange type.
Heats a 170" extended van to 65 degrees on about 15 minutes on a 30 degree day. But your tools will take a lot longer. For my tools I wrap them with an electric warming pad in my toolbox. I have an AC inverter.

For Alaska, You will need two units and a well insulated van. Urethane foam I do not recommend. Better to use Dyna Spray everywhere, then 1-1.5" of Dynamat everywhere and to finish the walls with heavy Polythene vapor barrier then 3/4" Pink insulation and 3/8: or 1/2" plywood. Caulk all Joints. You will BE warm ! R20 or better.
We are in Wisconsin. We know COLD. But Alaska does have us beat.
Carry an extra Fuel can.

Also, GET the better remote thermostat control. The basic control is cheap and awkward to use.
Contact me if you have questions.

I got answers.
SprinterEEI@gmail.com

Last edited:

sprintereei

Re: Cargo area heat ???

We use a Wabasto unit model 2000st in our commercial uninsulated van. It was easy to install. It is floor mounted on the rear wheel well. They are great because they create heat without running the engine. They burn the fuel and are an heat - air exchange type.
Heats a 170" extended van to 65 degrees on about 15 minutes on a 30 degree day. But your tools will take a lot longer. For my tools I wrap them with an electric warming pad in my toolbox. I have an AC inverter.

For Alaska, You will need two units and a well insulated van. Urethane foam I do not recommend. Better to use Dyna Spray everywhere, then 1-1.5" of Dynamat everywhere and to finish the walls with heavy Polythene vapor barrier then 3/4" Pink insulation and 3/8: or 1/2" plywood. Caulk all Joints. You will BE warm ! R20 or better.
We are in Wisconsin. We know COLD. But Alaska does have us beat.
Carry an extra Fuel can.

Also, GET the better remote thermostat control. The basic control is cheap and awkward to use.
Contact me if you have questions.

I got answers.
SprinterEEI@gmail.com

wmlog

I suggest an Espar Airtronic heater - either a D2 or a D4 - they are the same except the D4 if physically a little bigger, puts out more heat, and consumes more fuel to do so. All the information you need is available at Espar.com. My D2 keeps my Sprinter sleeper toasty down below 0, and is more readily available, but you might want to go with a D4 for the additional BTUs. Thermotron also sells Espar heaters. Keep in mind that you are going to spill the heat out of the cargo cavity whenever you open the doors. (The D stands for Diesel fueled, and the airtronic are forced air, as opposed to hydronis heaters, which use a water jacket.)

Top Bottom