Coolant loss

phil9560

Hi all.I wonder if anybody can shed light on my problem.I'm losing coolant from my 95 Sprinter 312D.There is no obvious source but it is dripping from behind the alternator.The general opinion seemed to be the water pump (located above the alternator) had failed and was the source.However we've replace the pump and I'm still losing coolant.Has anybody any ideas ? Thanks for reading.

DWalsh

My 2006 2500 was dripping at about 80,000 miles and it was the water pump. The water pump bearing went bad and was leaking. I replaced it my self. Freightliner wanted something like $700.00. I paid like $180.00 for the pump. You can buy it cheaper over the internet just search. It easy but very timely. I just wish they had a core for the old pump. Costing that much you would think they would want the old one back to re-sell as Remanufactured.

Eric Experience

The head gasket can leak on a 312 if the correct coolant has not been used, the way to find the leak is to borrow a radiator pressure tester and pump the radiator up to about 20 psi then get under the vehicle and watch the edge of the gasket. good luck Eric.

Top Bottom