'02-'03 EGR Valve Charge Oil/Air Leak

talkinghorse43

I have posted several times before about the slight modification I have done to direct the oil drip coming from the drain hole of the tray under the motor/tulip valve linkage. (This modification is to enlarge the drain hole and then tap (1/8 NPT) and add a pipe nipple and hose to direct the drip to the road.) This oil comes from engine blowby and makes its way to the motor linkage area via clearance around the tulip valve stem.

For quite a while (now have ~130k miles on the EGR valve), this drip was under control and making it to the road without soiling the front of the engine. But, over the last ~40k miles, I have been noticing some uncontrolled seepage. I first thought that the tulip valve stem guide was wearing more and that my drain system was just overwhelmed, but I recently discovered that the O-ring on the quick connect on the end of the hose from the intercooler was in fact leaking and was allowing blowby oil to drip.

Looking closer, I discovered that the alignment tabs on the metal end of the hose from the intercooler had worn into the EGR valve hose socket and that this wear allowed the metal end to become misaligned. This misalignment put stress on the top of the O-ring and caused the bottom of the O-ring to loose compression, thus causing the leak.

My fix was to insert shims at the bottom between the EGR valve housing and the hose metal end, restoring proper alignment. For extra insurance, I also built up the O-ring groove in the hose metal end a little by wrapping the O-ring groove with a couple wraps of Teflon thread tape.

williamwyatt

do you have any pictures?
have you noticed any loss of power or less MPG since it started leaking? or did it leak since new?

talkinghorse43

do you have any pictures?
have you noticed any loss of power or less MPG since it started leaking? or did it leak since new?
The below is a pic of the EGR valve mod. The O-ring fix didn't work, so I bought and installed a new O-ring from the dealer. No effect of this oil drip on power or mpg and they don't leak when new, but usually do eventually start to leak. When he was installing 2 new injectors for me, Doktor A noticed a code suggesting that the valve operator (electric positioner) was starting to fail, so I bought and installed a new valve about 5k miles ago - no oil drip yet. I'm keeping the old valve to use if needed.

Attachments

surlyoldbill

What's a new EGR go for these days? I should be looking around for one to replace my 110k one at some point (a lot of dripping, even after cleaning every oil change).

talkinghorse43

What's a new EGR go for these days? I should be looking around for one to replace my 110k one at some point (a lot of dripping, even after cleaning every oil change).
Don't know about the present price, but the Doktor charged $550 when I was there in Nov of '09. If the dripping worries, you could modify it like I did and get most of the drip to the road. I wouldn't have bought except for the indication the valve operator was starting to go south. Mine had 150k on it when I changed.

Top Bottom