PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used the Chinese replacement turbos?

brewfox
11-03-2016, 06:04 PM
I have a 2005 sprinter that is losing power occasionally while driving. Mechanic says the turbo is damaged from not replacing the air filters (I just bought it) and that it might be the longest running original turbo ever (240k miles).

Regardless, it works ok most of the time. I have to remove the turbo to extract 3 exhaust manifold bolts the mechanic broke trying to replace the gasket (time to do my own work from now on, jeeze).

Since I'm taking it out anyway, these $330 new turbos seem like a fantastic deal. Has anyone successfully run with one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-07-Dodge-Mercedes-Benz-Sprinter-2-7L-Diesel-736088-3-GT2256V-Turbo-Charger-/182101990096?hash=item2a661fdad0:g:jZYAAOSw~oFXGca-&vxp=mtr

Midwestdrifter
11-03-2016, 06:23 PM
Search turbo replacement on this forum. Turbo failures are rare and often vehicles run the entire life of the engine with the same turbo. The only reason to replace a turbo is because of physical damage. Easy to inspect for this for this kind of damage. Remove the intake and check the compressor wheel for obvious damage or contact with the walls. If it passes and spins freely you have little to worry about. You cannot use side to side play as a measurement of turbo wear. Unless it has contacted the sides.

Intermittent issues as you describe are usually referred to as lhm. This can be caused by a number of things. The most common of which is leaks in the intake plumbing. Even a small leak can cause intermittent lhm as you described.

terra_firma
11-03-2016, 06:25 PM
There are many more people on here that are more mechanically knowledgeable but id recken you should run away fron that mechanic as fast as you can! i believe the turbos on these trucks should run for that long, probably longer so strike one. Strike two is he broke three bolts on your van and didnt fix them! Strike three is recommending anything that did not come the mercedes dealership!

If you pay $1000 for an oem turbo is will most likely last 3 times as long as whatever china has to offer

smiller
11-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Yeah... Chinese turbo... what could go wrong?

Midwestdrifter
11-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Yeah... Chinese turbo... what could go wrong?

The turbo could dump oil in the intake causing a runaway and engine destruction. :shhh: :frown:

smiller
11-03-2016, 07:07 PM
The turbo could dump oil in the intake causing a runaway and engine of destruction.
Oil, seals, chunks of metal, you name it. I think I'll save money elsewhere thank you.

brewfox
11-03-2016, 07:48 PM
The turbo could dump oil in the intake causing a runaway and engine destruction. :shhh: :frown:

Hmm, that bad huh.

Is this one made in China?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Turbocharger-Freightliner-Dodge-Sprinter-2500-3500-2006-2005-2004-/272340628337?fits=Year%3A2005%7CMake%3ADodge%7CMod el%3ASprinter+2500%7CSubmodel%3ABase%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.7L&hash=item3f68c43371:g:RpkAAOSwLnBX8qqj&vxp=mtr

Interchange Part Number: RL142494AA

I can't quite seem to find manufacture info. This one at least comes with bronze bolts. I'm guessing that if it's cheap, it's probably scary to use.

I've read all the turbo posts on this forum I could find. It seems like if it's mostly working, just leave it alone. I'm hoping it's not too tough to take out (I have a problem with rust).

brewfox
11-03-2016, 08:12 PM
I found this turbo for $550 on Amazon:
http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2005/Dodge/Sprinter_Van/Turbocharger_and_Installation_Accessory_Kit/40-80114_IL.html?xref=359522

I called and they said it's manufactured for them, out of Taiwan. They sold 189 of them last year without problem. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the pickup and replacement, since I'm taking out my turbo anyway to get to the exhaust manifold and extract these broken bolts, or if I should just keep this one till it dies. Multiple repair shops have said the turbo is kind of damaged. Maybe I'll take a look myself before ordering.

Thanks everyone for the words of warning :D

Oilburner
11-03-2016, 08:25 PM
I would stay away from non MB turbo. Keep in mind, that your turbo has electronic actuator designated and calibrated for that turbo. The new you want to buy has nothing.
Never heard of turbo " kind of damaged"
:wtf:

Gaspiping Sprinter
11-03-2016, 10:17 PM
I found this turbo for $550 on Amazon:
http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/2005/Dodge/Sprinter_Van/Turbocharger_and_Installation_Accessory_Kit/40-80114_IL.html?xref=359522

I called and they said it's manufactured for them, out of Taiwan. They sold 189 of them last year without problem. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the pickup and replacement, since I'm taking out my turbo anyway to get to the exhaust manifold and extract these broken bolts, or if I should just keep this one till it dies. Multiple repair shops have said the turbo is kind of damaged. Maybe I'll take a look myself before ordering.

Thanks everyone for the words of warning :D

I bought from them before and was told nothing but lies , they sold me a rad and intercooler and assured me they were BEHR OEM and when I got them they were not BEHR ::thumbdown:
Buy an OEM Garrett and only cry once

flman
11-03-2016, 10:43 PM
The people that buy Chinese turbos are the ones that pony up the OE price after the Chinese turbo fails, if they are lucky it does not destroy their engine. Penny wise, pound foolish.

Aqua Puttana
11-04-2016, 02:35 PM
There are many more people on here that are more mechanically knowledgeable but id recken you should run away from that mechanic as fast as you can! i believe the turbos on these trucks should run for that long, probably longer so strike one. Strike two is he broke three bolts on your van and didn't fix them! Strike three is recommending anything that did not come the Mercedes dealership!

If you pay $1000 for an oem turbo is will most likely last 3 times as long as whatever china has to offer
:thumbup:

Except a Garrett brand turbo would be acceptable for me. Mercedes doesn't manufacture turbos, they buy them from Garrett.

A simple visual inspection of the turbo blades can tell a bunch.

There should be no scuffing on the scroll cage. The turbo blades should be clean and sharp. Dirt getting into the air stream will cause visible wear and less sharp edges.

A calibrated finger wiggle of the turbo blades will always reveal quite a bit of play. That is often used with the customer to show that the turbo is "bad". The calibrated finger wiggle tells NOTHING.

The turbo turns at tens of thousand rpm. The shaft floats in oil. A bad bearing in that service doesn't make noise for very long. A bad bearing will be revealed by scroll cage scuffing.

I wouldn't trust anyone who doesn't know the above to diagnose my turbo as "bad".

:2cents: vic