Seat brackets covered under BtB warranty?

lrickley

I have a 2014 Sprinter with a 4 seat in the back and 2 seat bench in the middle (also has a wheelchair lift, thats why the second seat is only a two seater bench). The right bracket (on the seat leg) is missing the closer thing, so the seat is just sitting in the channel and not actually attached. The seat must have been taken out at some time and this piece fell off somehow or got broken and was removed. My question is, since this is a safety issue, much like a broken seat belt would be, would this be covered under the same warranty like a seatbelt or as this is still inside the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty (20,000 miles currently)? I asked the dealer if the part was something that could be ordered and he didn't know, but I didn't think to ask him about the warranty issue until now. I posted about this a few weeks ago in another post asking if anyone knew what the part number was or if it could be ordered, but no one seemed to know for sure. Any MB techs or warranty experts out there, please chime in, thanks!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
T'were me, i'd drop in at the dealer, point at the missing/broken part and say "isn't that a warranty item?"
(note the slight twist from "Is that a warranty item?"

They might just swap in an entire new seat (if they had one sitting around)

--dick (ever hopeful in such matters)(non-expert)
p.s. what does the warranty book say?
(if a primary seat-attachment item can just casually break off, that seems a little beyond "normal wear and tear")
Lean on the thought that it was either a bad casting or a missing/inadequate assembly.

Last edited:

sunnyside

I have a 2014 Sprinter with a 4 seat in the back and 2 seat bench in the middle (also has a wheelchair lift, thats why the second seat is only a two seater bench). The right bracket (on the seat leg) is missing the closer thing, so the seat is just sitting in the channel and not actually attached. The seat must have been taken out at some time and this piece fell off somehow or got broken and was removed. My question is, since this is a safety issue, much like a broken seat belt would be, would this be covered under the same warranty like a seatbelt or as this is still inside the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty (20,000 miles currently)? I asked the dealer if the part was something that could be ordered and he didn't know, but I didn't think to ask him about the warranty issue until now. I posted about this a few weeks ago in another post asking if anyone knew what the part number was or if it could be ordered, but no one seemed to know for sure. Any MB techs or warranty experts out there, please chime in, thanks!
I once bought a so-called 2 seat bench seat from a van up fitter. I got it home and put it in a storage shed without even trying it out or installing it.

The day came when I needed it and tried to install the seat in the van, just like yours, only one latch to secure the seat. After a five minute study I realized that I had actually bought a three or four bench seat that the van up-fitter had cut down and re-upholstered to make a Two place unit.

Problem was that the three place seats all have a dummy center leg that does not have the mounting mechanism hardware WELDED in the base, so just sourcing the lever and latching dog would have done me no good unless I performed major surgery with welding and cutting equipment to remove the needed part to weld back into the leg that was missing the latch.

You need to closely inspect your seat to see if you're wheelchair uplifter did the same thing. If so your probably screwed. You will need a Döner seat to cut apart with welding equipment to remove a outside leg with the hardware you need, and re-weld it in place of the dummy leg.

Or you can find a three seater bench and follow this thread https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37611 he did it right.

I determined it would be easier to follow the above thread than to replace the dummy center leg.

Last edited:

Top Bottom