New Transfer Case - Mercedes Asking Dealership for Extra Info

olyhillary

So my 4x4 wouldn't go out of 4x4 the third time I used it, with 1500ish miles on the van, ended up with it making a giant, horrible clunking sound, getting messages to 'return to workshop' and then it finally somehow turning off 4x4 itself. I got it checked out at the dealership two days later (on the 17th) and the verdict was they'd order me a new transfer case, which was supposed to take a week and a half to come in.

I just got a call from someone in the service department saying they need me to bring in the Sprinter so they can do a series of extra inspections on it that Mercedes is asking for to try and determine why it happened at such low mileage. He's pretty sure after they do that, I will indeed get the new transfer case, but it means an extra trip to the dealership and extra time without 4x4. Annoying, but hopefully all this extra inspection means they actually solve the problem so it's not an issue for other people! Maybe the first hint of progress?

Thump_rrr

So my 4x4 wouldn't go out of 4x4 the third time I used it, with 1500ish miles on the van, ended up with it making a giant, horrible clunking sound, getting messages to 'return to workshop' and then it finally somehow turning off 4x4 itself. I got it checked out at the dealership two days later (on the 17th) and the verdict was they'd order me a new transfer case, which was supposed to take a week and a half to come in.

I just got a call from someone in the service department saying they need me to bring in the Sprinter so they can do a series of extra inspections on it that Mercedes is asking for to try and determine why it happened at such low mileage. He's pretty sure after they do that, I will indeed get the new transfer case, but it means an extra trip to the dealership and extra time without 4x4. Annoying, but hopefully all this extra inspection means they actually solve the problem so it's not an issue for other people! Maybe the first hint of progress?
Have you seen this post?
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=394114&postcount=25

olyhillary

Yes, but since then a couple of others have had weird issues and gotten a new transfer case and not had any problems since.

zither99

I think there is progress because they have a fix for the clunking and rear spring vibration. The two most common issues here. I have an issue relating to the front differential, in that it is somewhat loud and produces an oscillating sound when warmed up but it looks like it's across a lot of sprinters and it does not bother a majority of people so it is not an issue. Having driven 2wd sprinters and now a 4x4 makes this an evident noise that I just don't like.

Overall there is nothing like it out on the market, and let's keep in mind this generation of sprinter is nearing its production life so the next generation will be probably even more refined.

Mercedes treats this as a commercial vehicle but a lot of domestics have made luxury versions of their pickups (Denali, platinum) and it wouldn't hurt for Mercedes to have a COMFORTABLE version of the sprinter now that it has 4x4 and is somewhat cross-shopped with those types of vehicles for some people.

olyhillary

So just got a call from the service guy and their verdict is that it's not my transfer case, it's my drive shaft. Won't be picking it up until this afternoon and will find out more then!

kendall69

Here's what I never understand. We have vehicles running perfectly that were built in the 20's, 30's, 40's etc. way before computer and CAD programs were even thought of. So here we are year after year, one manufacturer after another and we have major issues? I just scratch my hear. We have brilliant engineers, the best computers, the times 3D CAD software, measuring tools down to 1000th of an inch, lasers, and we still need to call back millions of vehicles every year from all manufacturers.

Kauluwela

So just got a call from the service guy and their verdict is that it's not my transfer case, it's my drive shaft. Won't be picking it up until this afternoon and will find out more then!
So fascinating. I am very curious how this ended up with the driveshaft being the culprit?

Having rebuilt and converted many transmissions and transfer cases that have included shortening, lengthening, and balancing driveshafts how the driveshaft has caused the transfer case to not properly engage/disengage is something I would like to learn more about.

After you get the vehicle back would be kind enough to take some photos under the vehicle of the transfer case and driveshafts? I'd really like to see this as it sounds like a cover up.

olyhillary

And all the shift noises they're talking about are ones I didn't even notice... As long as I can use 4x4 when they're done I don't really care what they replace! But if I can't use 4x4 for much longer (it will have been a month by the time those parts are in) as we get in to fall and winter and want to venture into snow, I will start to be not so nice. My plan is to drive around and shift in and out of 4x4 multiple times for like a half hour in the dealers parking lot before I leave to make sure it's working...

Kauluwela

And all the shift noises they're talking about are ones I didn't even notice... As long as I can use 4x4 when they're done I don't really care what they replace! But if I can't use 4x4 for much longer (it will have been a month by the time those parts are in) as we get in to fall and winter and want to venture into snow, I will start to be not so nice. My plan is to drive around and shift in and out of 4x4 multiple times for like a half hour in the dealers parking lot before I leave to make sure it's working...
With the tech in the vehicle. Lock the doors and don't let them out until you are satisfied!!! Haha.

Top Bottom