Should I do the 10K service at 4250 mile 07 Gas Sprinter ?

double07

Understand that we must do the dealer services according to the service reminder on the dash, but my ODO is only about 4250. And I think that MB put in special oil for breaking in. The first service will due in several days,
I think Warranty for Gas Sprinter is 3years/36K, in my past experience with about 5 cars, if it does not break in the first year it has much beter chance that it won't break within the warranty period. I'm thinking changing the oil myself when it reach around 7500. Any thought ?

Thanks,
Ktran

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Is the 10k recommendation also for gas versions? I thought it was for the diesels only.

Certainly doesn't hurt to the change the oil.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The 2007 service manual indicates the a shorter calendar oil change duty cycle for the M272 (3.5L gas engine) as the OM642 (diesel 3.0): 12 months (vs 24 months) or 10,000 miles - which ever comes first.

Is that what Daimler engineers had in mind? I don't know.

As for changing the oil early, I think MeanInGreen pointed out that factory fill is special break in oil for diesels. I'm not sure if that applies to petrol engines as well. Maybe Chris (SprinterUK) will chime in with a recommendation.

-Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

Builderrdu

Builderrdu
MHO- I never heard of break-in oil, most manufacturers install a high quality motor oil. I always change my oil within the 1st 2500 miles, with 6 quarts or less, and 5000 with more oil. I have had many diesels in the past, I have never had an oil related problem. I understand that MB recommends synthetic oil, so break-in will take much longer than the Dino oil at 20K +/-, I would guess double that with Syn. jmho...

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The oil used for first (factory) fill has an MB spec - I don't have available to me right now - listed on / documented on the MB Workshop Information System. I know this thread is about gas engines, but the break in oil guidance mentioned above applies to the diesel engines. It's in that context that I am posting.

MB techs are strongly informed that they're not to change the break in oil prior to the service interval.

I understand your point of view - and I'd never heard of such a thing either - but I can assure you the manufacturer's documented it. It's just not printed by Chrysler in the owner's manual.

MHO: that Chrysler failed to document the significance of the OM642 break in oil doesn't make it worthless information.

We each own our Sprinters; perhaps even more so now that Fiat is cozying up to Chrysler's diseased body - so we each need to do what we feel is best for our Sprinter, period. We cannot count on MB USA, LLC at all, nor can we necessarily BLINDLY trust dealerships with an agreement to sell and service products like the Sprinter, licensed by Chrysler Vans, LLC.

-Jon

Builderrdu

Builderrdu
Hello...where can I find this documentation on OM642 break in oil , as I NEVER heard of such a thing...I can only believe that if you do not keep it in till the 10K mark you just prolong the seating of the internal engine parts?? Good or bad?? I don't know, however I would like to be educated on this. Thanks for the reply.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Hello...where can I find this documentation on OM642 break in oil , as I NEVER heard of such a thing...I can only believe that if you do not keep it in till the 10K mark you just prolong the seating of the internal engine parts?? Good or bad?? I don't know, however I would like to be educated on this. Thanks for the reply.
http://www.startekinfo.com

You'll have to subscribe (something like $20 for 24 hours) and find other OM642 engine variants in vehicles like the GL-320 CDI or the ML-320CDI.

These vehicles use the same engine family as the diesel Sprinter.

Alternatively, you may order the service DVD for those models or the model R251; the cdi station wagon that also uses the OM642. You can order the service DVDs for any USA MB products from1-800-367-6372. Since the Sprinter is not a product sold and serviced by MB-USA, LLC, they don't have a DVD for it. This is tragically unfortunate since their DVDs are vastly superior to the stuff Chrysler will sell to us.

The catch for the USA is that you have to know a vehicle that uses the same engine as the Sprinter (like the model 251 CDI, or GL320 etc) . The Sprinter is not an "MB" product according to the monoply on MB products in the USA (MB USA, LLC). They don't support or document the Sprinter.

Service information for MB products is not "public." Service info for Chrysler's Sprinter is not "public."

MB service info is better than Chrysler service info, but it is published for professional technicians working for shops that are expected - by MB USA, LLC - to pay for the documentation.

I don't think it's a good MB policy - I think a good policy is one that which would make service info free for everyone - but it is what it is... like college, some information costs money.

MB own the info, they can charge for it.

It took me a lot of time and reading to figure out what I know about the OM642; I spent more time than the average mechanic would spend researching Sprinters in the context of MB.

I wouldn't fault you for not taking the same path I did. I believe you should do what you feel is right for yourself; and I would welcome another mind in the mix. It's a lot of information and I would welcome confirmation that my interpretations are on target or otherwise.

I did receive confirmation from UK Sprinter owners that "break in oil" is special and is required for MB products. You don't have to believe it or lend it any credibility. I chose to after I confirmed it with MB USA service information.
You are free to make whatever choices are right for you.

-Jon

Last edited:

Builderrdu

Builderrdu
Okay...I am believing what you are saying is true. I am wondering if MB is the only car company that does this?? I have owned many Euro cars and have never came accross this. I am going to play the devils advocate for a while on the net to get more useful info. Thanks for you answers.

Top Bottom