Using Xentry/DAS to Actuate ABS to bleed brakes

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
A fellow member asked if my MB Star C3 could actuate the ABS so I could bleed the brakes in my 2006 2500. So I took a look.

Well first of all, Xentry/DAS reported that no link could be established. Tried firing up the engine, still no luck. (see pic 1)

So I poked around, and under the ESP submenu (that's extra sensory perception to us aliens), there are a bunch of options for ABS (huh?!?!). (see pic 2)

Under the "Exceptional Bleeding" option, any of the wheels can be selected. (see pic 3 and 4)

There is also an option to "Actuate return pump" (see pic 5)

I looked at the Dodge sprinter manual and could not find anything with actuating the ABS for bleeding the brakes. I then checked WIS/ASRA, and found AR42.10-D-0010-07A it talks about using DAS to actual each wheel, but I am not sure of this is the "actuate ABS for bleeding". Anyhoo, thats what I got.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 50714

Have you tried YouTube? I'm going to look.

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
Kid, for the brake bleed, does DBR III have a similar process to DAS as above? Or is it something different?

thanks

Last edited:

Kid347

I don't know what the DAS does I have never used one. But on the DRBIII there is a option for this exceptional brake bleed, works great I always do it with two people on at the DRB and one at the brake bleed wheel. The DRB tells you which wheel to go to. I do need the DAS for our 2008, 2011, and 2015 so if anyone can point me in the right direction please do. we have auto ingenuity now and it is not very helpful, it does read some codes, but most of the DEF where I am having most of my problem it comes up with unable to read code.

calbiker

In order to do a complete job the ESP needs activation. You will know it's activated when the brake pedal starts pulsing while pumping it. You will get brake pedal feedback.

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
I don't know what the DAS does I have never used one. But on the DRBIII there is a option for this exceptional brake bleed, works great I always do it with two people on at the DRB and one at the brake bleed wheel. The DRB tells you which wheel to go to. I do need the DAS for our 2008, 2011, and 2015 so if anyone can point me in the right direction please do. we have auto ingenuity now and it is not very helpful, it does read some codes, but most of the DEF where I am having most of my problem it comes up with unable to read code.
See my pictures at the beginning of this thread. It shows the screens for DAS for brake bleeding. Is this a similar process to your DRB?

Last edited:

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
In order to do a complete job the ESP needs activation. You will know it's activated when the brake pedal starts pulsing while pumping it. You will get brake pedal feedback.
Thats what I have read in a number of posts. What I am trying to determine is where this is done in DAS? Is it any of the pictures I show in the original post?

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
I've done it several times now. Just using that menu you found and following the instructions it gives you. Works a treat. You need 2 people though, one to pump the pedal and one to crawl around and crack the bleed screw each time. Its basically the same as an old school brake bleed, but you are using the ABS pump to shove the fluid and bubbles down the pipes. I guess the ABS pump churning away helps get all the bubbles out.

Last edited:

calbiker

You should be able to try it without opening the bleed screw.

I'm interested in this tester. What was your total cost (tester + laptop)?

Thats what I have read in a number of posts. What I am trying to determine is where this is done in DAS? Is it any of the pictures I show in the original post?

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
I've done it several times now. Just using that menu you found and following the instructions it gives you. Works a treat. You need 2 people though, one to pump the pedal and one to crawl around and crack the bleed screw each time. Its basically the same as an old school brake bleed, but you are using the ABS pump to shove the fluid and bubbles down the pipes. I guess the ABS pump churning away helps get all the bubbles out.
Thanks owner - just what I was looking for.

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
You should be able to try it without opening the bleed screw.

I'm interested in this tester. What was your total cost (tester + laptop)?
I purchased a C3 and cables with a Toughbook C19 laptop preloaded with Xentry, DAS, ST Finder, WIS, AStRA, EPC, etc. Cost me total $550USD. Caution: the C19 is cool and tough, but *very* slow. Takes about 5-7 minutes to boot up. Once it does, it is useable... but slow. But its cool....and tough.

I am using it on a 2003 C230 and a 2006 Sprinter. I am very satisfied.

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
Can the Toughbook's processor be upgraded?
I would not bother. If you want a faster machine, just get the Dell 630 with an SSD. Not as cool, but faster. Many of the suppliers offer this configuration all set up.

If you want to go down a rabbit hole, you can forego what the supplier gives you and setup your own laptop, but be prepared for some dicking around with com ports and such. I do not recommend it unless you are very comfortable with computers and serial ports.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

I would not bother. If you want a faster machine, just get the Dell 630 with an SSD. Not as cool, but faster. Many of the suppliers offer this configuration all set up.

If you want to go down a rabbit hole, you can forego what the supplier gives you and setup your own laptop, but be prepared for some dicking around with com ports and such. I do not recommend it unless you are very comfortable with computers and serial ports.
Yes, I totally agree with pre-installed software being the way to go. I like the toughbook better because of durability. Have you bled your brakes yet? I am curious how it goes.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Can the Toughbook's processor be upgraded?
No it is soldered to the board on those and its passively cooled anyway. You can fit an SSD and up to 8GB of RAM though. But that wont speed it up for this. As long as you've got 2+GB of ram, and a decent HDD, in the CF-19, the bottleneck is the MB software itself.

I have even run it on a VM on a 3GHz quadcore beast of a laptop, and it doesn't get any faster. Worryingly, the MB setup will actually fully 100% rape as many CPUs as you can throw at it, without actually running any faster than dog slow. So its best to just limit it, for heat and battery reasons.

So on my CF19, I run MB star under a VM and only give it one of the CPUs and 2Gb of ram. This is with an SSD. The SSD will make the biggest difference, but what I'm saying is, there is a very low limit to how fast you can make this setup regardless of hardware.

D

Deleted member 50714

No it is soldered to the board on those and its passively cooled anyway. You can fit an SSD and up to 8GB of RAM though. But that wont speed it up for this. As long as you've got 2+GB of ram, and a decent HDD, in the CF-19, the bottleneck is the MB software itself.

I have even run it on a VM on a 3GHz quadcore beast of a laptop, and it doesn't get any faster. Worryingly, the MB setup will actually fully 100% rape as many CPUs as you can throw at it, without actually running any faster than dog slow. So its best to just limit it, for heat and battery reasons.

So on my CF19, I run MB star under a VM and only give it one of the CPUs and 2Gb of ram. This is with an SSD. The SSD will make the biggest difference, but what I'm saying is, there is a very low limit to how fast you can make this setup regardless of hardware.
Thanks Owner! I'll feel better about my purchase. What an awesome forum! And people too!

Bob

Kid347

See my pictures at the beginning of this thread. It shows the screens for DAS for brake bleeding. Is this a similar process to your DRB?
No not at all, The DRBIII is a handheld unit. It is not hookup to a laptop. Only works up to 2006.

Top Bottom