Lack of throttle pedal issue---solved by re-starting???

Moose111

I searched and could not find anyone with the exact same problem.

What used to be a once in a while thing has become a more often than not thing.
When I start my Sprinter there is very minimal throttle pedal response, can't rev and if I try to drive, very very slow acceleration. Turning the van off then on again fixes the problem every time.
Now I find myself checking every time before putting it in gear----just don't want there to be a day when it doesn't re-boot on re-start.

No check engine lights are on and other than the throttle pedal issue at start van is running great.
2006 2500 with 219000 miles

What is causing this???

Thanks

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The Sprinter's throttle pedal moves (turns?) two potentiometers (think "analog volume control knobs").
If they don't agree about how much you pushed, the engine control unit (ECU) either uses the lesser "knob" or neither
(i don't know which way they programmed it).

So my guess is that your throttle pedal potentiometer mechanism is broken/cracked, or there's a loose connector plugged into it.
Cable damage from the throttle gadget to the ECU could do it, too... but that's a pretty short run.

This is one of those things that the ECU may wait for it to happen twice or thrice in a row before flashing the pretty dashboard light.
(i'd think there might be some stored codes)

Pedal, accelerator: dodge/freightliner: 05135510AA MB: A 639 300 07 04

--dick

Last edited:

GaryJ

Here since 2006
I had an issue where when I would floor the accelerator, the engine would go to an idle. If I let off and floored it again immediately, the same thing would happen. If I pushed the pedal down slowly it was OK. This would happen randomly a couple of times a year from a start, or moving. Try pulling out to pass and having that happen!

When I posted about this on the forum, the collective wisdom centered arout the brake light switch, because if the ecu thinks the brakes are engaged it won't allow any power. So I reached under the dash and pulled the switch plunger to the "adjusted" position.

Since then, besides local use, the van has been to the west coast Sprinterfest in Oregon and Bonneville Speed Week in Utah, as well as other minor excursions. Its been flawless since the brake switch adjustment. Time will tell...

Edit: The mechanic at the Sprinterstore also mentioned the possibility of the potentiometers needing to be in agreement for the ecu to get the signal from the accelerator pedal.

Gary

Last edited:

Top Bottom