PDA

View Full Version : Low range option added after delivery?

Bb975d
09-19-2016, 04:42 PM
May be a dumb question but can the $300 low range option be added to a Van that only has high range after the van is built. I assume its the same transfer case. What would it take to do that?

Thanks!

sailquik
09-19-2016, 06:40 PM
Probably NOT!
Changing to the hi/lo range transfer case (probably with a completely different part number and not the same
transfer case at all) would affect your new vehicle warranty, and they would need to install the hi/low transfer
case and the switches inside the Sprinter to control the shifting from hi to lo and back.
Probably some significant programming to go along with the addition of the hi/lo feature in the ESP
/Crosswind Assist/ABS/TSA modules.
Doubtful if you can find a dealer that would undertake that install, and it's probably going to take a dealer level
(MB SDS) diagnostics tool to make all the firmware changes, plus a few calls to MB Engineering in Germany.
And, it would cost at least 10x the $300 (or possibly a lot more) to purchase and change the transfer case.
Remember, MB Sprinter USA decided that safety was more important than 4x4 functionality so the 4x4 Sprinter
has basically the highly computer controlled 4MATIC system found in MB sedans and SUVs with (or without) the
addition of the high/low transfer case which adds a further level of complexity. It's a 35% front axle/65% rear
axle biased system.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Bb975d
09-19-2016, 06:50 PM
Exactly what i needed to know! Thank you!

Probably NOT!
Changing to the hi/lo range transfer case (probably with a completely different part number and not the same
transfer case at all) would affect your new vehicle warranty, and they would need to install the hi/low transfer
case and the switches inside the Sprinter to control the shifting from hi to lo and back.
Probably some significant programming to go along with the addition of the hi/lo feature in the ESP
/Crosswind Assist/ABS/TSA modules.
Doubtful if you can find a dealer that would undertake that install, and it's probably going to take a dealer level
(MB SDS) diagnostics tool to make all the firmware changes, plus a few calls to MB Engineering in Germany.
And, it would cost at least 10x the $300 (or possibly a lot more) to purchase and change the transfer case.
Remember, MB Sprinter USA decided that safety was more important than 4x4 functionality so the 4x4 Sprinter
has basically the highly computer controlled 4MATIC system found in MB sedans and SUVs with (or without) the
addition of the high/low transfer case which adds a further level of complexity. It's a 35% front axle/65% rear
axle biased system.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Highlands
09-20-2016, 03:40 AM
I asked my local dealer same question. He said its not a realistic option