3rd brake light cameras on Amazon

tailspinshea

when searching I see a lot of people have installed the Rear View Safety model which looks solid and has mostly good reviews but when I search amazon there are several other cameras that look almost exactly the same for a decent amount less. I'm wondering if this is the same camera just branded different and if anyone has any experience with them? a couple examples below. I'm willing to pay for the RVS one if there is a compelling reason to but if the hardware and support are similar then ill save the $60-$70 and get one of the others.

https://www.amazon.com/Vardsafe-Bac...4294053&sr=8-3&keywords=sprinter+brake+camera

https://www.amazon.com/Backup-Camer...4294077&sr=8-4&keywords=sprinter+brake+camera

https://www.amazon.com/Navinio®-Mer...4294077&sr=8-6&keywords=sprinter+brake+camera

https://www.amazon.com/Car-special-...4294077&sr=8-7&keywords=sprinter+brake+camera

GSWatson

2013 144
I bought the Vardsafe, though through EBay; I think it was around $110. Very happy with it; I like that it uses the factory lights (it's basically a new light cover with a camera). I read reviews how others came with lights but not behind the camera housing, so the lesser # of lights set off a 'bulb out' warning light on the dash. Installation was easy, comes with 3M foam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tailspinshea

That one is the cheapest on Amazon at $80. I think I might give it a try. I went to their website and it uses a Sony camera just like the more expensive ones and has the low light LEDs. The yantech is $123 and it has a slightly higher resolution but I don't think that it would make much difference considering its going through RCA which maxes out at 480p. I think the vardsafe is 410p. Good to know someone has bought it and is happy with it. There are no Amazon reviews on it

GSWatson

2013 144
Sorry, just checked my history and it was the Yantech. Looks identical - might be the same, who knows...

tailspinshea

Dang, I'd like to hear from someone with the vardsafe. The yantech is still a good deal but it's another $40 over the vardsafe.

tailspinshea

This is the response I got from vardsafe on amazon. It looks like it does come with new insulation

Q: Does this come with a new gasket to fit around the light housing?

A: Yes, it comes with a 3M gasket to fit around the light housing. Other accessories including 10meters cable and power cable. It uses RCA connector by default.

tailspinshea

I'm going to go ahead and buy the YanTech. I added the Vardsafe to my shopping cart only to notice it ships from China. I think ill pay the extra money and not deal with international shipping and possible return issues should something be broken.

Last edited:

tailspinshea

got the YanTech installed last night. First impressions are good. the daytime image quality is excellent, the night time image quality is also very good, much brighter then I expected. the install was very straightforward. I recommend watching a youtube video as the supplied instructions are practically nonexistent. The build quality of the housing is as good if not better then OEM.

Verdict: save your money and buy this one over the rear view safety.

ScottC

Hi all,
Do these kits come with a new brake LIGHT itself, i.e. the LED lamp assembly?

I ask because mine is smashed and I have to replace the LEDs and cover anyway, so why not buy one of these camera kits while I'm at it...

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
I got the YanTech too (the 580TVL). Paid $130 shipped through eBay "make an offer". Arrived quickly from the USA (NJ?).

It does the job well, and looks plausibly factory. No complaints. Agree with the comment that it works quite well at night.

I've had to adjust to the almost bird-eye view from the 3rd brake light- When parallel parking in front of a car, I often think I'm leaving 4-5 feet and it turns out to be more like 24".

ScottC-
I can't speak fo all of them, but the yantech came with a new red lens which reuses the existing bulb holder/reflector assembly. You unscrew the old light, separate it into two halves and then the new part (with camera) basically just snaps in where the old lens went.

If only your lens is cracked you might as well buy the camera. If the bulb holder/reflector is cracked, you'll need to replace that separately as well.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
I'm skeptical.. I don't see the bulb/reflector assembly in their photos and the PDF instructions don't show it either.

If you think about it, it doesn't really make sense for them to include this additional part as the vast majority of customers won't need to replace it.

Just my take..

GSWatson

2013 144
I seem to remember someone buying one that included the LED's, but since it didn't have the same number of LED's as the OEM it caused a 'bulb out' error. I bet you could find an OEM one on here easy; maybe Ron R as he recently crashed his (fortunately everyone was ok).

ScottC

Thanks all, I too have not found one that appears to come with the LEDs.

I seem to remember someone buying one that included the LED's, but since it didn't have the same number of LED's as the OEM it caused a 'bulb out' error. I bet you could find an OEM one on here easy; maybe Ron R as he recently crashed his (fortunately everyone was ok).
Yup, found that post. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth to get that model. Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom