Transmission Filter and Torque Converter

HERK

I have some questions about doing the ATF fluid change and draining the converter! Does anyone know what everything supposed to be re-torqued down to? Has anyone tried Royal Purple Max ATF? Is there anything wrong with using the old magnet in the pan? If so where do I get a new one? I am going to get 8 quarts of ATF should I have more on hand? Are ATP Filters any good or should I stick with WIX? Here is my parts list is there anything I am missing or should have on hand?

One Dipstick for a 722.6 Transmission
One Dipstick Filler Cap (just in case the one I have should break)
Five Transmission Filler Lock pins
One Transmission kit with filter and gasket
8 Quarts of ATF Fluid?

SSMaui

Fixer of thangs
I don't think you really need lock pins...I put the cap back on after use without the pin. it sets inside fairly tight due to the O-ring.

Use the old magnet (clean it). Don't know why it has ever been suggested to change it.

Torque pan bolts to: 9Nm
Drain bolt: 22Nm
TC drain bolt: 8Nm (good luck getting a torque wrench in there... :smilewink: )

8quarts is fine.

I only use OEM filters.

I find it easier to remove the cross member and jack up the rear of trans. This give you more room to access the TC drain bolt.

If you do that, you'll need a 13mm socket and a 16mm wrench and socket and a jack and jackstands.

Picoscope

I don't think you really need lock pins...I put the cap back on after use without the pin. it sets inside fairly tight due to the O-ring.

Use the old magnet (clean it). Don't know why it has ever been suggested to change it.

Torque pan bolts to: 9Nm

Drain bolt: 22Nm

TC drain bolt: 8Nm (good luck getting a torque wrench in there... :smilewink: )

8quarts is fine.

I only use OEM filters.

I find it easier to remove the cross member and jack up the rear of trans. This give you more room to access the TC drain bolt.

If you do that, you'll need a 13mm socket and a 16mm wrench and socket and a jack and jackstands.

Don't forget 27mm deep socket for crank rotation to find TCC drain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
Note that Royal Purple Max ATF is 'recommended' (by Royal Purple) for the listed applications, not formally approved for, and there is a big difference. Use a fluid that is marked to meet the appropriate MB specification and is on the MB BeVo list. There is simply no reason to take a chance with anything else.

manwithgun

Unknown member
Don't forget 27mm deep socket for crank rotation to find TCC drain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1-1/16" SAE can be used in place of 27mm and is usually easier to find/buy/borrow. It's actually .013 smaller and provides a great fit.

Last edited:

Top Bottom