What error code... All of them!

tracktoys

Loves his Sprinter
Hi,

I've wandered over here from the T1N section where I live, as I've had a customer in with a sprinter he asked me to look over - with my limited diesel knowledge (we build race cars!) we popped it on our diagnostic and had a load of codes.

It was recovered to us with an EGR fault, according to breakdown assistance, but we have lots of codes.

The interesting one is:

(Note - on my diagnostic, the codes come up strange, i found by dropping the last two digits, it was about right!)

04091C - P0409 Exhaust Gas ReCircuitulation Sensor A Circuit

033567 - P0335 Crank Pos Sensor Circuit

012200 - P0122 Throttle Pos Sensor Voltage Low

069716 - P0697 Sensor Ref Voltage C Circuit/Open

034431 - P0344 Camshaft Pos Sensor A Circuit Interm Bank1 or Single Sensor

03442F - ?

212714 - ?

211217 - P2112 Boost Pressure Servo Motor Circuit Open Circuit_

008700 - P0087 Fuel Rail/Sys Press-Too Low

Some I do not have a reference for.

Van is a 2010, 4 cyl diesel, I think a 313. All of the codes returned at startup after clearing. If you get to the throttle quickly, it will rev, but then ESP light comes on, sometimes it will not rev at all, other times it will, but take 5 seconds or so to reach 3krpm.

Interesting though, I see the reference 5v error, checked the wiring diagrams thinking there are all on the same ecu pin, and they are not, all of the sensors above have 4.99v at them, so not quite sure what is going on.

Customer wants to replace ECU - not sure if the immobiliser is in it and he would need other parts, but the ECU "used" is £400 - and not sure if that is where I would start, I tend to agree that it is indeed an ECU problem, I have checked the wiring loom and it all looks ok, battery tests ok, fuses, etc...

I saw a post when I searched that the cam / accel sensor use the same reference wire, but I have 5v at these sensors, sadly I do not have the diagnostics to retrieve live data from the engine whilst running...

Any wise thoughts anybody?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
What is the battery voltage when running? It seems that a low voltage can cause a myriad of unrelated problems like you have.

Question then is does the 2010 4 Cylinder have a 'Y' cable like the V6 NAS?

Keith.

tracktoys

Loves his Sprinter
we ran an alternator test which didnt flag anything up when running, so guessing that is ok.

Y cable? Hmm, I didn't have a look at that, but part of the alternator test is a voltage drop when cranking etc, and again, it wasn't flagged by one of my techs.

lindenengineering

For your mental 'elf and safety check yur erfs mate!:laughing:
And it not yer HT leads for sure ! :laughing:
If you rule out the main battery +ve harnesses or y cable then:-

Specifically main battery ground at the bulkhead and earthing (ground strap) at the engine mount to frame rail.
Also take a look at the main engine relay located in the main fuse box under the dash /kick panel.
In fact look at the fuse board itself for corrosion, always potentially present in damp climates and when the doors/windows left open in the rain.
Happy hunting
Dennis
Mechanic

Jimbobspoots

Hey I can see that this is an old thread but I’m having the EXACT codes and problems on my 2010 4 cylinder 313 cdi sprinter as Cheyenne has in his post and am at a total loss as to what to do ! I’ve changed the throttle pedal and am about to change out the cam too to try too fix the ESP problem as it’s shutting the engine rite down in limp mode ! Another strange thing is I’ve noticed on my icarsoft is no voltage to the injectors but it starts ok and does run !! This all started after I replaced the intake manifold which had a sheared bolt and was causing a vacuum leak so to do that fix I had the battery off and the fuel filter for a couple of days plus when I put it all back together and try start up I used a jump pack on the battery to get get her going dog ! I think after much research I may have fried the 5 v resistors in the ECU does anyone have any idea we’re to from here !

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Hi Jimbobspoots and welcome to the forum,

First off I am not the original poster with all these issues, that was 'Tracktoys' who has not been on the forum now for over three months so no conclusion to his problems.

Second, unfortunately you do not have the identical engine to my 2004 313 CDi. I have the OM611 four cylinder with no EGR, catalysts or other emission control equipment. You should have an OM 651 which has EGR and catalysts with all the problems that go with them.

Sorry but I cannot offer any more help with your problems other than to suggest you try and get in touch with Steve Ball, aka 'Mercedes Gen-In'. http://www.mercedes.gen.in/

Keith.

Jimbobspoots

Hey Keith

Thanks for the messages just reading back there you mention battery voltage on my live data with engine running she’s only making 13.8-13.9 volts so I’ve read there should be 14+ volts being made when running ?!? Do you think it’s possible that leaking oil/unburnt diesel running down from when the intake manifold was broken could cause a pull down on voltage ? There is a lot of oil down to were the “y” ground is that is still there ! I didn’t know about this “y” ground connection until I started reading on this forum I’m beginning to think if oil has infiltrated the conduit it might be causing the voltage drop ?? Also thinking that jump starring it on the battery may have damaged the “y” connection

Any ideas ? I really don’t know much about the “y” ground but it looks like it can cause a lot of strange problems

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Jim,

The 'Y' cable is NOT the ground cable!

The 'Y' cable is the POSITIVE cable which connects the alternator output and starter motor to the battery. It suffers from internal corrosion and hence high resistance causing a voltage drop, similar to what you are stating.

The ground cable from engine to chassis also suffers corrosion and high resistance which is why replacement is also recommended.

The quick test for a failing ground cable is to connect a single jumper cable from the battery NEGATIVE terminal directly to the engine.

Keith.

Jimbobspoots

Thanks Keith

I have no idea why I thought it was a cable from the ground side of the battery ! I’ve not had a chance to check it yet I did do the ground test with a jumper cable a while back and it made no difference so I’m hoping it’s this “y” cable that is the problem! Il keep you updated if I find it’s corroded or burnt I’ve already put a new ground strap on so praying it’s the problem!! Miss my sprinter sooo much

Cheers Keith

Top Bottom