PDA

View Full Version : Axle Nut Socket Size ?

Tcalp
09-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Hi Guys,

I need to change my front lower ball joints, I've been looking around and can't seem to find what size the axle nut is. It's a 2006 Dodge Sprinter with a 158" Wheel base.

Cheyenne
09-07-2016, 12:49 PM
First a question, are you absolutely certain that you need to change your ball joints?

From reading posts on the forum it seems many garages say the ball joints need changing when in reality they do not!

Have a read of the attached bulletin then go back and check if they really do need changing.

Keith.

Tcalp
09-07-2016, 01:25 PM
Oh, I'm sure my ball joints are just fine, but here in Ontario we have RIDICULOUS safety inspection laws as of earlier this year.

sailquik
09-07-2016, 03:15 PM
TCalp,
Check this out:
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49604&highlight=ball+joints
If you change the ball joints what happens if the new ball joints have the same
vertical looseness as the old ones?
Roger

Tcalp
09-07-2016, 03:21 PM
I just need to document that they have been changed, I already have the new parts on the way, just need to go to the local auto parts shop and loan out the tools I need and buy the right socket for the axle nut.

Midwestdrifter
09-07-2016, 03:32 PM
The sad truth is that you will replace the ball joints just to fail the inspection again! :bash: There is a Daimler service notice that instructs not to check the joints using the standard method, as they will always show "excessive" play using this method.

Cheyenne
09-07-2016, 04:51 PM
There is a Daimler service notice that instructs not to check the joints using the standard method, as they will always show "excessive" play using this method.

This is the document I attached above in post #2.

Keith.

Tcalp
09-10-2016, 02:03 AM
I was told i needed new Inner Tie Rods, Lower Front Ball Joints, and Rear Saw Bar Link Kits. Is it likely that the mechanic just didn't know how to test properly for a Sprinter or ?

lindenengineering
09-10-2016, 03:35 AM
Checking inner and outer tie rod ends is fairly elementary!
The same goes for sway bar links.
So far as lower control ball joints are are concerned I usually see them so badly mashed up that replacement is almost a safety related item!
It all boils down to neglect and not wanting to spend money!
Now
Remember Keith is posting from a UK perspective where invasive annual safety tests are the norm!
Fix it or off the road it goes and be taxed, unless you have a SORN.:thumbdown:

If that type of system (MOT) was implemented here there would be howls of protestation I assure you!
From my observations many Sprinter on this side would be getting Red Failure notices in the UK!
A Red 'Un?
Failure to test on safety grounds--must be towed from the test site!
Dennis
(UK MOT Inspector 1971 to 1973)
Fond memories of having sent many Morris', Vauxhalls, & Fiat Oxidizers all to the crusher!
D

Tcalp
09-10-2016, 05:55 AM
I asked as the replacement sway bar links are looser than the ones currently installed (installed one of them today). From my personal inspection, nothing seems to be wrong with the existing links, they look to be in perfect shape.

slowgsr
09-10-2016, 01:09 PM
End links aren't needed for safety anyways, and min pad thickness is 1.5mm for safety. It's not all that strict. However, I still keep up with the end links among other things.

Are you after a yellow annual?

Tcalp
09-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Are you after a yellow annual?

I'm in Ontario, Canada looking to get initial plating after buying the car used out of province.