PDA

View Full Version : Oil filter change question

EvHarris7
09-03-2016, 10:37 PM
I am changing the oil on my 06 t1n, I am doing it at my work and forgot my strap wrench for the filter cap. I can't get the cap off by hand, I am going to keep trying, but my question is with how the sprinter is designed, if I leave the old filter in to drive 10 miles home, can I remove the filter there and replace it with minimal oil loss? I know on most cars this would not work, however the sprinter filter is much higher than most of the oil in the motor?

I already drained the old oil, otherwise I would have just gone back home. Does anyone know if this would work, I don't want to waste the 10 quarts of new oil either.

Thank you

Dpatt
09-03-2016, 11:10 PM
You won't lose any oil when you change the filter, other than the small amount absorbed in it.

autostaretx
09-04-2016, 02:39 AM
Agreed.... the oil loss will be minimal (a pint, perhaps).

Let the Sprinter sit for a minute or three (or five) before removing the filter to allow it to drain internally.
Then remove it sloooowly.... the bottom O-ring seems to cover a drain back into the crankcase, and that will capture some of the remainder in the filter itself.

--dick

Cheyenne
09-04-2016, 10:39 AM
... and forgot my strap wrench for the filter cap.

My advice - DO NOT USE A STRAP WRENCH on the filter housing! It is a thin walled plastic moulding and you risk cracking it.

There is a purpose designed multi sided wrench designed to fit on the flats at the top of the housing. I can't help with a part number but it has come up on the forum many times before.

HTH,
Keith.

lindenengineering
09-04-2016, 11:44 AM
My advice - DO NOT USE A STRAP WRENCH on the filter housing! It is a thin walled plastic moulding and you risk cracking it.

There is a purpose designed multi sided wrench designed to fit on the flats at the top of the housing. I can't help with a part number but it has come up on the forum many times before.

HTH,
Keith.

Second that!:thumbup:
Stroll into a parts store like Advanced--They usually have a rack of these removal caps in different sizes--get your for under $20.
Dennis

Arnie_Oli
09-04-2016, 12:48 PM
I have one of those multi sided sockets for the oil filter. Highly recommend them. I then store it in the passenger foot well with the jack wrapped in a bit of cloth as I won't need it with anything other than our van. I also have a Makita cordless impact wrench for easier wheel changes but that's just me... :)

sailquik
09-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Arnie Oil,
You have a Makita Cordless Impact wrench that will torque your wheel lug bolts/nuts (2500/316/319) to 133 ft/lbs or 177 ft. lbs.?
Or do you simply uses the Impact wrench as a nut runner and then use a calibrated torque wrench for the final
tightening?
Sprinter Wheel Tightening Torques:
Edited from the 2014 USA Spec Sprinter Operator’s Manual

316/319/2500 Series Sprinter w 5 or 6 Lug BOLTS w single rear wheels
Wheel/Lug BOLT tightening torque:
Steel wheels: 177 lb-ft (240 Nm)
Light Alloy wheels: 133 lb-ft (180 Nm)

416/516/519 3500 Series Sprinter w 6 Lug NUTS with DUAL rear wheels
Steel Wheel /Lug NUT tightening torque: 133 lb-ft (180 Nm)
If you have light alloy wheels on your 516/519/3500 Sprinter or Sprinter
based RV use the torque specifications that came with the aftermarket
light alloy wheels!
Roger

Arnie_Oli
09-04-2016, 01:56 PM
I use the impact wrench to take the nuts off and then tighten them close to torque with a calibrated bar. It's a Makita BTW450Z which has a maximum torque of 440Nm.

Not bad for a Lithium 18v cordless. I got it cheap off eBay and I already have a raft of Makita batteries, wouldn't pay full price for it!

Aqua Puttana
09-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Agreed.... the oil loss will be minimal (a pint, perhaps).

Let the Sprinter sit for a minute or three (or five) before removing the filter to allow it to drain internally.
Then remove it sloooowly.... the bottom O-ring seems to cover a drain back into the crankcase, and that will capture some of the remainder in the filter itself.

--dick
I agree.

My method is to loosen the filter cap/stem up until the lip of the cap will rest on the filter housing. I then leave the filter to drip down into the housing for some time while I do other things. That seems to help the oil drip off more completely.

My recollection is that the oil filter cap wrench size is 74.5 mm, 14 flats.

vic

autostaretx
09-04-2016, 07:16 PM
My recollection is that the oil filter cap wrench size is 74.5 mm, 14 flats.

..and is also availble in plastic for less than $10 (Shuck's, now O'Reilly's):

Torque limit is 25 N-m or 18.5 ft-lbs

--dick
p.s. my plastic wrench got stuck on the cap... it wouldn't come off the filter cap after my first usage...
so i left it there. That made it extremely easy to find for future changes.... :thumbup:
(it finally came off on the 3rd change, 26000 miles later)

Cheyenne
09-04-2016, 07:29 PM
..and is also availble in plastic for less than $10 (Shuck's, now O'Reilly's):

Or you could get the genuine MB part in Cast Ally for probably not a lot more...

Keith.

PS I keep a couple of spare Sump Plug Washers cable tied to the wrench in case I ever forget to buy one when I get a new filter.

Aqua Puttana
09-04-2016, 07:37 PM
Or you could get the genuine MB part in Cast Ally for probably not a lot more...

That gen-u-wine tool sho' nuff looks stout.

Are the bolts used to connect a harness for an overhead crane to lift it? :tongue:

Actually, I presume those bolts are for pushing out a stubborn stuck cap.

vic

Old Crows
09-04-2016, 07:48 PM
CarQuest. Assenmacher M0284 84mm Oil Filter Wrench. Somewhere in the range of 20 clams.....

http://www.handsontools.com/Assenmacher-M0284-84mm-Oil-Filter-Wrench_p_18112.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwjK--BRCzv-Wyu4OTosEBEiQAgFp5OMEanqm-m0hFjeugRiDxnGHo-BPm4YQ07ZR_L9aUWvkaAtxS8P8HAQ

autostaretx
09-05-2016, 01:58 AM
CarQuest. Assenmacher M0284 84mm Oil Filter Wrench. Somewhere in the range of 20 clams.....

http://www.handsontools.com/Assenmacher-M0284-84mm-Oil-Filter-Wrench_p_18112.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjwjK--BRCzv-Wyu4OTosEBEiQAgFp5OMEanqm-m0hFjeugRiDxnGHo-BPm4YQ07ZR_L9aUWvkaAtxS8P8HAQ

... lovely, but about 9.5 millimeters too big for a T1N (if i recall correctly... )

--dick

Old Crows
09-05-2016, 03:41 AM
... lovely, but about 9.5 millimeters too big for a T1N (if i recall correctly... )

--dick

Oops! i'm sure they make one to fit...... Had to get one for the Sienna van last month.... Right on the rack. No waiting.

EvHarris7
09-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks for all the help, it was a bit of a guessing game to get the oil level right without replacing the filter, which ended up being 9 quarts after stopping twice in 10 miles to top it off once the oil light came on, I tried to get it close before leaving by warming it up and checking it, but still ended up a quart low.

autostaretx
09-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all the help, it was a bit of a guessing game to get the oil level right without replacing the filter, which ended up being 9 quarts after stopping twice in 10 miles to top it off once the oil light came on, I tried to get it close before leaving by warming it up and checking it, but still ended up a quart low.
While looking up the torque value for the filter cap, i found that the service manual included a "oil capacity without changing filter" specification: 9 quarts.
(with changing filter is 9.5 quarts ... which is suspiciously equal to 10 liters)

--dick (my apologies for not including that number earlier)
service manual download from: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/
.. this particular item is in both the 2003 and 2006 editions.