PDA

View Full Version : Preventive maintenance for Trans

travelbuds@verizon.net
08-15-2016, 03:52 PM
Like most folks that follow this forum, I go out of my way for preventive maintenance. Should the Trans Conductor late be replaced for $200 or would I be best off just cleaning it up along with the valve body. I did the fluid and filter along with the RSN fix last year.
:hmmm:

Aqua Puttana
08-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Like most folks that follow this forum, I go out of my way for preventive maintenance. Should the Trans Conductor late be replaced for $200 or would I be best off just cleaning it up along with the valve body. I did the fluid and filter along with the RSN fix last year.
:hmmm:
Until you have symptoms I wouldn't mess with the conductor plate. There are some pitfalls involved with mucking about for no reason.

My opinion.

Drain the Torque Converter and pan every 60,000 miles. Refill with MB236.12 transmission fluid (Shell 134 ATFIII for example). Drop the pan and change the transmission filter every second drain/fill. You could easily wait until the third service for the drop pan and change filter, but that will make most people too nervous. I have no data except what I've done with my 2004.

The drain and re-fill is an easy procedure.

vic

AshevilleSprinter
09-26-2016, 06:34 PM
I'm looking to diagnose a whirring/vibrational sensation I'm getting after fluid change on my 2004. I used proper type Shell ATF and an aftermarket filter/gasket package from O'Reilly. The whirring is subtle but seems to be there, and almost seems to have a disturbing metal on metal/something isn't right sensation to it. Trying not to screw up my tranny here! (I changed fluid after I lost drive altogether after not servicing after 50k miles). Thanks in advance for your help or input!!