DMV Registration in California

Mrdi

The good:laughing: Governor of CA has proposed a 2% charge on the registration of vehicles in CA.
If you have purchased a Sprinter/Ford/Chevy from a retrofit company including the camper conversion, then the value of your vehicle upon registration may approach $100.000.
.02 X $100,000 = $2,000 license fees per year. OUCH!!

How many ways can one register a vehicle in CA?
Passenger
Commercial
RV?

Which would be the most finacially effecient way to Register a converted Sprinter?

All comments welcome.

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
You don't want commercial because you'll have to pay an extra fee just to have that commercial license. For my 140, 2500, it was $80 extra annually before I changed it. It's based on weight.

I'm not sure about RV vs passenger.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Seek, I think RVs are charged the same as passenger vans. Our 2005 was $386 this year. $430 in 2007, and $477 in 2006. I guess, though, that you can't compare that with a cargo van or a passenger van because there's probably a "value component" in there based on the original purchase price.

If someone had a 2005 passenger car that cost $75,000 then maybe the license fee would be like this RV?

And, while I'm not standing in line to increase the cost of registering my vehicle, we must bear in mind that the fees were reduced at a time when those lacking adequate fiscal conservatism decided to reduce the fee in order to encourage people to buy expensive gas-guzzling SUVs (like our good Gov's 3 HumVees) and because there was a temporary surplus of revenue falling into the state's coffers.

Last edited:

Top Bottom