Cost to do oil change?

Gleaton

Hey guys, im curious what the cost is to do a oil change on one of these bad boys. im still in the research phase.
Include the cost to do it yourself and the cost to have it done for you.
Thanks!

icarus

14 qt of oil, ~$8@ if you buy right, oil filter und $10 (OEM) so ~$120. I had a dealer do it once, including a new fuel and air filter and cabin wirfor $199, so tht was a pretty good bargain. (Try admitted the promo was in error, but they honored it, used the proper oil as well.

Icarus

4wheels

Buy 229.51 oil at Napa now at $5 /quart
13x5=$65 , plus $10 for oil filter from dealer .
$75- $80

pfflyer

Where you are located is a factor but at the dealer expect to pay in the $200-300 range. A multi-point inspection and possibly a tire rotation is included.

sailquik

Also, if you have the service done at an authorized Mercedes Benz or Freightliner dealer you get the benefit of
the latest service bulletins and software upgrades that are applicable to your Sprinter.
Wonder how many of the DIY Sprinters have NEVER received these upgrades as they have never been back to
an authorized dealer to get them when the computer is hooked up to reset the service mileage?
Unless it's a major safety recall, MB Sprinter USA will not notify you of these upgrades/fixes.
Roger

Also, if you have the service done at an authorized Mercedes Benz or Freightliner dealer you get the benefit of
the latest service bulletins and software upgrades that are applicable to your Sprinter.
Wonder how many of the DIY Sprinters have NEVER received these upgrades as they have never been back to
an authorized dealer to get them when the computer is hooked up to reset the service mileage?
Unless it's a major safety recall, MB Sprinter USA will not notify you of these upgrades/fixes.
Roger
Will they do the updates while under warranty without an oil change? My guess is that most times the more critical updates will happen within the first three years of ownership. After that important updates seem less likely.

That said, the path of least resistance is to get oil changes and service done by a dealership while under warranty. That can save some arguments should something go wrong.

vic

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
There's no reason to pay $300 for an oil change to get the vehicle updated nor to maintain warranty coverage (as long as you document properly), that fact has been gone over 1,000 times in the past.

showkey

There is also a better than equal chance the dealer will send it the lube tech ( making $8 per hour) charge you $300-$400 and NOT connect to the scan tool and NOT do any updates. Especially if you have no current complaints, concerns or CEL light.

MB like most manufactures do NOT pay the dealer to go looking for problems or updates. No complaint or concern on the work order no charging Warranty for looking.

There's no reason to pay $300 for an oil change to get the vehicle updated nor to maintain warranty coverage (as long as you document properly), that fact has been gone over 1,000 times in the past.
:idunno:

I said path of least resistance. I didn't mean to imply that it was required.

I don't believe that anyone can argue that having the dealer service your vehicle won't reduce complications in the event of a warranty claim.

vic

smiller

Wan't arguing with you, just pointing out that as you noted it isn't required by any means. I don't know if it would reduce complications or not but it has never had any effect in my own experience.

sailquik

showkey,
Guess it depends on the authorized dealer you use.
There no "lube techs" in the Sprinter specific service bays where I have all my services done.
Only trained Sprinter techs work in the dedicated Sprinter high bays with the heavier duty
racks/alignment tree/wheel balancing equipment.
The dealer is as close to a "commercial Sprinter" dealer as you will find anywhere I've looked.
Roger

smiller

That's great if you happen to have a good facility near you. My local MB dealer doesn't sell or work on Sprinters, closest place (a Freightliner dealer that has a good rep) is about 75 miles away. It's a serious problem for a lot of Sprinter owners.

sunnyside

MB has a toll free customer service line, I call once or twice per year, I give them my vin and they inform me of any recalls or Ecu reflash updates or recalls. There is nox sensor issue recall campaign that requires a ECU reflash that has been talked about a lot around here but MB will not send you a letter, you have to be proactive.

showkey

There is nothing especially different or difficult on the Sprinter oil change that does not exist on almost every car or truck. My '65 Chev 283 had a canister filter that was easy to double gasket. Double gasket puts 5 quarts on the driveway just a quick as the Sprinter puts 13 quarts down. Modern can filters are common for gasket to stick to the block.......same results, oily mess or junk engine or both.

Just likey not torqueing the lugs nuts might cause the wheel to come at a the worst possible time.

The are bad things that happen at the dealer, jiffy change places and DIY. One of the best is draining the transmission adding 5 quarts to the engine and sending the car down the road.....a quick lube special package. Second favorite is the loose drain plug that falls out two weeks after the service. On the up side better hope the hired help is a standup place or has insurance to cover their mistakes.

:hmmm::hmmm::hmmm:Guess its important to work within your limitations and double check your work. Even if your installing your own water heater, new faucet, dishwasher, installing a 240 outlet in the garage, putting a new roof, overhauling your garden tractor or doing a ground up restoration on an old car:thumbup::thumbup::

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Top Bottom