Help/Advice with Transmission Issues

jjrubino

I have a 2008 with 35,000 miles. I was having no transmission issues, but decided to have the transmission serviced while at a good mechanic. When I went to pick up the van, the mechanic was taking fluid out of the transmission. He said he put in the specified amount but it was reading high. However, I think he was putting the newly purchased dip-stick in all the way. In short, I started having slippage shortly after - especially when making right-hand turns.

I measured and added 2 1/2 quarts of fluid, but I, too, was measuring wrong due to the horrible dip stick. I over-filled and now have a transmission leak. You simply cannot find qualified people to work on these things in my area. I do not trust dealers and there are none in my area.

Any advice on what the leak might be so that I can either fix it myself or know what to expect at a shop? It seems to be coming from the front of the transmission. Could be the electronic thing in the front. Thanks for the help!!!

lindenengineering

Your problem arises from carelessness and most likely lack of profound knowledge of the unit.

I suspect the transmission is over filled.
If so it will pewk out of a breather on top of the case! Hence your leak!
In the likely hood of a suspect dip stick or no dipstick I suggest the following.
Drain the transmission pan ONLY allowing the contents to drain into a CLEAN tray.

With a qrt fluid bottle decant THREE qrts into the bottle(s) refit the drain plug and refill with that qty only for the 906 V6 unit.
4 qrts only if a T1N model.
Now scud it up the street and try the shift!
Dennis
Mechanic--who has a hard time with carelessness.
If I could lawfully use a cat 'o nine tails I would!:bash:
It would be in my leather bound brass buggery box containing my own special tools like micrometers and radius gauges etc.
Together with books and manuals about how to rebuild an Hispsano Suiza or Rolls Royce engine.
D

jjrubino

Thanks, Dennis! I did as you suggested. Sure enough, draining the pan only yielded 4 1/2 quarts of fluid. I put back three quarts and it seems to be working fine with no leaks! I then used my dip stick and now think I understand when it is properly inserted. Mine is an aftermarket. I ordered an OEM from Mopar, but the wrong part was delivered. I do not know what I'd do without this forum and contributors such as you, who take the time to help others.

Top Bottom