swapping out rear bumper

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
You can easily do that. Remove the reflectors on the back bumper and the two bolts that hold everything on will be visible. You'll also have to unbolt the metal step that is under the plastic. But the cover is all you'll need.

GoldenGateShark

2005 T1N 118
You can easily do that. Remove the reflectors on the back bumper and the two bolts that hold everything on will be visible. You'll also have to unbolt the metal step that is under the plastic. But the cover is all you'll need.
Thanks so much for your help. Now if only somebody had a used cover for me or was willing to trade even...

Thanks so much for your help. Now if only somebody had a used cover for me or was willing to trade even...
Assuming the OEM unit I'd be willing to trade even, but I'm on the east coast.

Why do you want to get rid of the step bumper? I find the OEM step bumper on my 2004 to be very convenient. I want one for my 2006, but all the parts needed add up to about 300 bucks.

vic

GoldenGateShark

2005 T1N 118
Assuming the OEM unit I'd be willing to trade even, but I'm on the east coast.

Why do you want to get rid of the step bumper? I find the OEM step bumper on my 2004 to be very convenient. I want one for my 2006, but all the parts needed add up to about 300 bucks.

vic
A few reasons really. I like the way it looks without the step bumper (I know that sounds stupid). I live in the San Francisco and parking is very tight, every inch counts when it comes to parking. Lastly, I never climb into the van through the back. You can PM me if you really are interested in a trade, maybe we can figure something out.

Looks can be important.

If you have or plan to install a trailer hitch then changing from the step to standard plastic bumper may not get you as much as you think.

I have identical hitches on my 2004 and 2006. The hitch protrudes quite a bit from the bumper.

I added some pieces of gray Raptor Deck soft deck to the top of the hitch. I have been using the hitch top as a step to help to enter the back. When wet it was very slippery. I don't want to add one of those receiver steps.

Here's a couple not too great pics. I think they help show the two hitches. The first shows the non-step in the background.

StepHitch.jpg

StepHitch1.jpg

vic

GoldenGateShark

2005 T1N 118
thank you for the photographs. I had a hitch on this thing when I got it and there was no spare tire holder. I took it off as soon as i could and it has been sitting in my garage likely never to be used again.

Top Bottom