Common wiring harness wear points - Chasing engine cut out and turbo actuator fault

i86o

Hello everyone

chasing some intermittent issues w my 05 140 Tall boy

issues are

- Random engine cut out at load when passing, on ramp climbing or otherwise accelerating quickly,no lights or dash warnings. If i cycle the van on and off it starts right up and drives fine until this cut out occurred again, sometimes i can make it happen some times i cant. Recently did injector test, and replaced fuel filter. re-fastened all connectors in the injector harness after cleaning and greasing, zip tied any culprits tightly in place.

event is returning codes
P0341 CMP Sensor Signal
P2149 Fuel Injector Group 2 Supply Voltage Circuit

- No turbo boost, low engine power, no lights or dash warnings, event occurred twice with heavy rain, once with an engine rinse after spilling some fuel. Seems to be turbo actuator acting up, and i know this could be an internal issue as well

event returning codes
P0245 T/Super Charger Wastage Solenoid A Low
and another i didn't write down related to wastage solenoid ( will dig up later )

So, I'm thinking all signs now after trying some other fixes point to a wiring harness chafe somewhere.

Can anyone advise or point me to photos that illustrate where i should be looking for common issues? I have searched, and the 3 wiring bundles near the fuel filter and where the harness enters the cabin via the firewall are my first two areas to peep. Any further guidance would be awesome.

Thanks
- Ian

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Possible wiring harness shorting area. Cut the Wire ties, Wrap wiring harness in rubber, reattach with wire ties. There is a metal bar here that the wire ties attach to. Any rust here tends to poke holes in the harness, causing random shorts.

Below the fuel filter on all T1Ns (2002 thru 2006).

Attachments

i86o

Checked the above aforementioned area, and yeah, had some chafing going on, no totally bare wires but the insulation seemed worn on a few, cleaned it up, wrapped it in a rubber sheet ( motorcycle inner tube, v handy stuff ) and zip tied up everything neatly.

Also disconnected the turbo actuator solenoid harness cleaned that up, greased and zip tied that shut.

After flooring it all over town for about 20 minutes over bumps, up ramps etc, i cant get it to post a code or stumble,

i86o

I didn't find anything near the bulk head other than the big bundle of wire in loom that enters the firewall just above the battery near the AC high / low lines

Gaspiper

I had harness problems exactly where Jmoller99 said ,shown in the picture + on the main wires two feet before entering the firewall's rubber grommet. My Mechanic replaced the engine harness and that solved all the problems I was having that included " water in fuel ( LIMP MODE ) , Both low and high engine oil pressures " . There was never any water in fuel nor wrong oil pressures per say but rather wrong signals sent to the ECU because of wires touching each other after their insulation were damaged and they shorted either to ground or to each other . The only scenario I can think of that caused wire damage was when I bought the truck brand new I asked the Dodge dealer to install "Cruise Control" which they contracted to an outside not so professional shop and I say that because I saw their wire crimping job at the steering years later and it was less than amateur with copper stranded wires still showing and very close to each other six in total where it plugs into the cruise's harness just under the steering .
Below you will find a picture of before , later I bought new six pins with new plastic connector and crimped them the right way. I tried to upload the after picture but it was too big.

Attachments

B

billintomahawk

I read this post a couple of weeks ago and finally decided to get busy on my '02. Current mileage 95K.

Digging down at the base of the fuel filter this is what I found.

I dug here...

That wrap of half eaten red tape is OEM MB, I cut the zip ties.

Check out the shiny spot on the filter frame next to my finger, my harness covering was in the process of chaffing through.

I wrapped the worn harness with 4 layers of Gorilla tape and lashed this home-made pad to the bottom of the main harness with new zip ties.

Disaster averted.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

mheat

Possible wiring harness shorting area. Cut the Wire ties, Wrap wiring harness in rubber, reattach with wire ties. There is a metal bar here that the wire ties attach to. Any rust here tends to poke holes in the harness, causing random shorts.

Below the fuel filter on all T1Ns (2002 thru 2006).
Yes, had that on my '05. Stuck a rubber glove under it and it was fine. Replaced the rubber glove with a big blob of silicone 4 yrs ago.

Top Bottom