PDA

View Full Version : advice on a shorty

fredbail
11-28-2008, 09:50 PM
I am looking to buy a short wheel base for a work vehikle, and would appreciate advice on what to look (and to look out) for. Are there places that start to rust first? Buying used is a crap shoot...but I want that short one. It looks like the prices are starting to drop. It seemed like the guys on ebay and dealers could ask whatever they wanted, but it seems recently the market is softening. There is one in New Jersey that looks nice, with low milage, but the dealer won"t get off 26k. There are plenty of used car dealers that bought them at auction to flip. We all got to make a buck, but I am hoping to buy from an original owner. The problem is work trucks tend to be used till they drop...unless there is a "situation". So I guess that's what I an looking for. But I digress...any advice on what to look for good and bad would help me. I would like a 2006 just because that was the last year made. Power windows, or more, the package that has them, one side window, high roof...not shure... low milage, and a partridge in a pear tree. I am in Md. thanks in advanve to all who respond

sikwan
11-29-2008, 03:11 AM
The first thing you should inspect for is injector leak...

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3326&highlight=injector+leak

Second would be to check if the glow plug light goes out before starting the engine. There could be a lot of things that are simple to fix, glow plugs replacement being the worse.

Check for rust. There are a lot of white Sprinters that are prone to rust (depending on region where they reside) more so than Sprinters of other colors. Underneath the mudflaps are one location to inspect.

Those are the major ones that I can't think of now...:hmmm:

jdcaples
11-29-2008, 05:58 AM
If you're able to get a service history, that would be a good idea.

Capture the VIN from the seller and use this web application

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners

to check the VIN against a Chrysler database of recalls and impacted VIN. It works for Sprinters manufactured for the "Freightliner" brand as well.

At least on the west coast, work trucks are discarded by businesses when the warranty expires; ususally not when they've been driven into the ground.

Certainly smaller, one man shows, are different, but business majors out here use actuarial tables and forumlae to set asset management policies and line up depreciation with tax benefits. Translation: they dump vehicles when the numbers say to dump 'em.

I think you're looking for "D1" in the 5th and 6th position of the VIN, as that means 118" WB; so you might be able to use that in a search.

-Jon

fredbail
11-29-2008, 12:46 PM
I will take this to heart. This is exactly the kind of thing I was asking for. much thanks, D. B.

fredbail
11-29-2008, 12:48 PM
You bet I will check.And thanks for extra info. D. B.

BaywoodBill
11-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Check this thread (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1042&highlight=swamp) for a rundown on most rust-prone areas.

I've had rust on the roof gutter and a couple of roof seams. I hope I nipped it.