fuel filter water drain

dmcwethy

I have an 2007, and have tried to check for water in the fuel, following instructions on page 311 of the owner's manual.

I place the drain hose into the container, switch on the ignition (but not starting the engine), and unscrew the drain plug, following the steps in the manual.

Nothing comes out of the drain hose.

Any suggestions of what I might be missing?

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Do you know there's water in the fuel filter?

Here are the service manual instructions. I'm not sure if - or how - these instructions may differ from what is in the owners manual.

STANDARD PROCEDURES - DRAINING WATER FROM FUEL FILTER
Connect a hose to the Water in Fuel (WIF) drain (2) and place it in a clearly marked and suitable container. Open the WIF drain by turning counterclockwise. Turn the ignition key on for 20 seconds (Refer to low pressure fuel pump operation). Repeat the procedure until all water is removed, close the drain and remove the hose.​

I've never had my water in fuel sensor light up.

-Jon

Last edited:

dmcwethy

My van has 15k miles, so water draining was precautionary and educational, not from a warning light.

Even if there were no water in the filter, I assumed some diesel fuel would dribble out, but I got nothing. I'd be happy if that indicated all is well, but I don't know, and I find the owner's manual not too helpful.

What Next

I have a T1N so it may be different but on mine I have to open it at least 3 complete turns on drain valve. I thought my drain was plugged until someone told me to really crank it open.

Top Bottom