Datapoints: DPF Regeneration Frequency

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
For those that wondered how frequently the DPF gets burned out, converting soot to ash, here are two data points.

I spend most of the time driving at slow speeds, idling in traffic and generally breaking all the "keep your EGR soot free" rules.

As time allows I'll post more data points, but I can say that I didn't miss any between the first and the second.

Oh, and I didn't hear or smell anything when it happened.

-Jon

Reading zero
Odometer-Regen-0.JPG

Reading one
Odometer-Regen-1.JPG

autostaretx

Erratic Member
An interesting metric would be the mileage at the time of the two readings, and then correlate that to the "filter load" reading.
If reading Zero was at about 400 miles from the previous DPF purge, and reading One was soon after the one at 12657,
than the example of 0.56 would serve as an indicator of when the next one was going to happen.

And why does it say "yes" about water in fuel? Is that merely reporting that it has a sensor, or that it's damp?

--dick

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Dick,

I think Richard's right: the wording on much of the software could be better. My WIF indicator has never gone off, so I have to assume it's a terse, poorly worded report that there is, infact, a sensor in the fuel filter.

Bruce: In a Jeep CRD with an OM642 will regen every 750 miles, according to reports from a Jeep owner in Auburn, WA.

Some internet forum postings (not Sprinter-Source) suggested the OM642 would regen every few hundred kilometers. Clearly, that is not the case. I think Dick's right. It's all about the PSI differential on either side of the DPF and what may seem to be a good opportunity (highway driving vs idling at rush hour). It takes some time to capture metrics, but I'll try to get some more meaningful information on the conditions which trigger the DPF. I don't think I saw any in the Service Manual. The ECM does know how many gallons of fuel have been consumed since the last DPF.

I can also force one with StarMOBILE.

Last edited:

Top Bottom