1 ton to a 3/4 ton

Mtn Tamer

I have a 05 2500 sprinter that I was rear ended in and then bought it back from the insurance company .
I just bought a 06 3500 with 74000 miles. And I would like to convert it to a 2500. The front is just a matter of switching out the spindles. The rear axle looks to be a little bit more challenging. Has anyone ever tackled this?

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
Lucky you.
Anything sold on by the insurance company here in Aus is considered a write off, once its a write off you cant register it for road use ever.

KarlTheMechanic

The front is NOT a matter of switching out the spindles. It's a matter of unbolting the spacers. Even easier than swapping spindles :) As for the rear end, good Luck.
Cheers

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Simply put, it's extremely labor intensive. You must be very good at welding because you will have to fabricate all new shock mounts because the 2500 and 3500 are not the same. Oh, and don't forget to reprogram the ECU because the rear axle ratios are different, too. There's probably more that I'm forgetting, but those are the big two. Not worth it, if you ask me.

Mtn Tamer

I was hoping it would be an easy swap out but after looking under both 2500 and 3500 I see that's not the case. How do the 1tons do in snow?

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
The front is NOT a matter of switching out the spindles. It's a matter of unbolting the spacers. Even easier than swapping spindles :) As for the rear end, good Luck.
Cheers
Karl, when you say "unbolt the spacers", you mean the wheel spacers/adapters, right? It's an interesting 'secret' that the front rotors are exactly the same for the 2500 and 3500 sprinters. Only difference is the wheel spacer/adapter that you bolt on the rotor for the 6 bolt 3500 wheels.
...which means that the front rotors are quite robust and over engineered for the 2500.

Top Bottom