03 sprinter wont start

Rodney

I own a 2003 sprinter and all I get is a single click when trying to start the vehicle. I replaced the battery & thought it cured the problem, but it has occurred once again. The alternator is charging the battery just fine when running.

Anyone else experienced this sort of starting problem before? If so what was the cure?

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Easy things:

Check the fuses under the seat

Check the loom plugs are tight where they meet the ECU under the dash

Check the fuses to the CR unit - two under the steering column

Am a bit unclear: if the you know the alternator is charging fine when it's running how did you start it? (-jumped?)

You don't say that you're getting an error message on the dash, so I'd be hopeful it's one of the above or the starter motor, assuming the new battery is fully charged. Test the starter motor with a hot wire from battery.

If you've just had a cheap new key it may well not be coded (or be programmable) to the vehicle. Try starting it with the other key.

Last edited:

Rodney

Easy things:

Check the fuses under the seat

Check the loom plugs are tight where they meet the ECU under the dash

Check the fuses to the CR unit - two under the steering column

Am a bit unclear: if the you know the alternator is charging fine when it's running how did you start it? (-jumped?)

You don't say that you're getting an error message on the dash, so I'd be hopeful it's one of the above or the starter motor, assuming the new battery is fully charged. Test the starter motor with a hot wire from battery.

If you've just had a cheap new key it may well not be coded (or be programmable) to the vehicle. Try starting it with the other key.

Thanks for the fast response. I should've given more details.

The vehicle will start when jumped. Although there is like a 3 second delay when jumping before starter turns over. The battery is brand new (2 days old) I get no code or error message.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
New batteries can still have manufacturing defects (or shipping damage), such as a broken inter-cell connection.
It could be making enough contact to read 12v at low loads (such as "just a voltmeter"), but have inadequate current-passing capability for the starter.

good luck
--dick

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
If you're able to use another battery to get the Sprinter started, then it's reasonable to suspect that the Sprinter is able to do its job, but the installed battery is not.

When in doubt, swap it out.

-Jon

Rodney

FWIW: Replacing the starter cured my problem.

What threw me for a loop was the ability to jump start the vehicle with a bad stater. I've never had a vehicle with a bad starter that I was able to start by jumping.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Seriously, thanks for the valuable tip.

Not so seriously: that's mean, unfair and just plain vicious. A bad starter should just be bad and not coy.

Last edited:

Top Bottom