Crew van rear headliner removal question

UpperCrust

How do you remove the rear part of the crew van? The sides are fitted into the body and I feel if i pull on them it will snap.

Can someone help, ive looked at many threads but havent seen anyone address this issue.

DieselFumes

2015 4x4 2500 170 Crew
The sides slot in to the walls. If you push up on the headliner pieces, you'll see that there are "tabs" about 4" (?) long that slot into holes in the metal van wall.

First, undo the clips in the top piece of the headliner. You'll need a plastic trim removal tool to unsnap the plastic clips that hold the headliner against the metal ribs in the ceiling.

Once you've done that, the headliner goes a bit more floppy. With the extra play this gives you, you can push the headliner up at one side to make the tabs in the side come free. Now the other side just lifts out.

I think some of the threads that address this say to start from the back of the van, but I think it's easier to start at the front (the piece just behind the cab).

sprinterPaul

DieselFumes is right. You are supposed to remove it starting at the front. The way the sections overlap to hide the retaining push clips.

I have gotten just the rear section off before because I was too lazy to pull it all which is a major PITA. But you have to finagle it a bit.

jlowe2

I think some of the threads that address this say to start from the back of the van, but I think it's easier to start at the front (the piece just behind the cab).[/QUOTE]

Is it possible to remove the section of headliner from the b-pillar back without removing the forward section or the trim covering the side airbags?

sprinterPaul

You should remove from front to back. The sections overlap such that it is expected to be pulled that way.

You might get away with going other direction. Not by design. And you might damage something.

Once you have done it. The entire headliner can be pulled in 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jlowe2

Thanks! I could tell it was overlapped that way but I was hoping I could avoid all of the window trim and messing around the airbags. I'll save the job for another day when I won't need to drive the van :)

sprinterPaul

I use a plastic lever. Slides across that stuff fast. Going back in takes longer. And you usually need a few replacement clips. However the van is drivable with b pillar covers installed. [emoji1360]

My life right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom