How do you clean the fuel injector cover?

HelloPitty

I am having fuel injector #1 seal replaced tomorrow, but I'm not sure if the shop will clean the underneath of the cover.
The black parts are shiny, sort of like shellac. Is there a chemical to remove it or some method to remove it?

Right now I have diesel fumes in the cabin, due to the leaky injector seal, but wondered if the cover will cause fumes too? :idunno:

Here's a photo I found, not my cover, but mine looks similar.

Attachments

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Simple Green (or purple power etc) caustic type cleaner and a scrub brush works well, and doesn't have any nasty fumes. If you have a large sink or soaking tub, add the cleaner per the directions, and let the cover soak for an hour. Should clean right up.

I have had good luck with mineral spirits or other light solvent, and a rag. The odor/fumes bother some, make sure to wear gloves if you use a solvent.

If you have hardened carbon, it can be hard to remove. Oven cleaner containing lye (potassium hydroxide) will soften it right up.

Last edited:

HelloPitty

Yes, I believe I have hardened carbon. I will look into oven cleaner first, then purple power, etc.
Thank you!

HelloPitty

Sprinter is in the shop getting the #1 injector seal replaced. Sure hoping for a positive experience since they're only 1 mile from my home.
The guy said he'd use some solvent on the cover.

Meanwhile I bought some purple power, just to have on hand.

HelloPitty

As an update, the shop didn't have the correct injector puller this is after having it sit there for 5 hours, I brought it home.
They said they can get the puller, but I'm not keen on going back there right now.

Instead I called the MB dealer, for $402, they will replace the #1 injector seal. I might just go for it since they will warranty it.
My only other option is to try it myself, I'm just not that confident yet besides, I'm taking a 2,000 mile trip with it soon.

The shop your referring to sounds to me like they are inexperienced with sprinters. If they were, they could do it hot and wouldn't need a puller ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HelloPitty

The shop your referring to sounds to me like they are inexperienced with sprinters. If they were, they could do it hot and wouldn't need a puller ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I picked it up I told him about loosening the screws and let the injector pop up with force, but he said the risk is that the sleeve can pop out and then anti-freeze can get in. :idunno:

Top Bottom