Driveshaft Clunk

j5th

I've got an '11 2500 with 15k miles and its my first Sprinter. When I stop at a red light and then accelerate I often feel a "thunk" which I feel through the seat. It seems like the driveshaft is loose, but maybe it is normal with these Sprinters? Do any of you guys notice anything similar?

Thanks

sailquik

Nope.....I've had a T1N and 4 NCV3's.....at least 2 of them with > 100k miles.
Never had any sort of "driveshaft clunk".
Are you sitting at the red light with your Sprinter in gear, or out of gear in neutral?
The all "groan" a bit if you lighten up on the brake pedal that the discs creep within the brake
pads, but a little more pressure on the brake pedal and it locks the wheels.
Might want to check the front U-joint spline that goes into the transmission for spline wear, and
also check the rear U joint where it goes over the differential pinion shaft for spline wear as well.
Hope this helps,
Roger

j5th

The issue happens when I am in gear. Engine idle at a stop light. It doesn't happen when I am crawling to a stop and and then go. It didn't seem normal to me either. I will have to take it in to the dealership as I am having some issues with the steering as well

Kind of shocked it would be having any issues with such low mileage but it was never really driven.

MercedesGenIn

Mercedes-Benz Resource
If we forget the mileage for a moment and what should not be worn out at this mileage, it leaves the possibility of something possibly being loose. The main culprits for this could be U bolt tightness rear axle, spare wheel and carrier, shock absorber mounting eyes, exhaust mount missing or detached or even fuel in the tank 'sloshing' at certain fill levels. Maybe even worth a look in the battery box under the floor covering in the cab to make sure the battery is held down secure.
All the best
Steve

... or even fuel in the tank 'sloshing' at certain fill levels. ...
I'm convinced that my 2004 T1N has a fuel slosh "clunk". It isn't consistent and has been happening for over 130 miles since purchase. I suspect that the inconsistency is related to fuel level (as you mentioned) and the clunk is related to minimal baffling in the tank. That is if there's any baffles at all. :idunno:

Edit: While over 130 miles is technically correct, it has been doing the "clunk" for over 130,000 miles since purchase. At 305,000 now. :rolleyes:

vic

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I'm convinced that my 2004 T1N has a fuel slosh "clunk". It isn't consistent and has been happening for over 130 miles since purchase. I suspect that the inconsistency is related to fuel level (as you mentioned) and the clunk is related to minimal baffling in the tank. That is if there's any baffles at all. :idunno:

vic

Hmm, there are no baffles in the tank (that I saw). However the mounting straps could be loose. The sender float could be hitting something as well.

Check your rear axles U bolts (they attach the axle to the springs). If they are loose the axle will shift some. In some cases the locating stud can shear. If this is happening there will usually be telltale rub marks on the spring perch.

Last edited:

jbm-sd

Did you ever get this resolved? I have a new-to-me 2016 144" High Roof Passenger van with the 2.1l/7sp, and I notice a clunk sometimes when starting from a stop. It seems more prominent the harder I brake into the stop. I'm still under warranty, so I'll likely take it in to the dealer but it would be nice to have suggestions on the cause.

Top Bottom