Turbo lag, occasional LHM

Jamescell

I have a 06 140 passenger that suffers from turbo lag and very rare LHM. The turbo lag is much more pronounced when the engine is cold. I have replaced every charge air hose multiple times, pressure tested the charge air system, torqued all charge air hoses over and over, replaced every sensor I know relates to the charge air calculations, cleaned and lubed the turbo actuator linkage multiple times, removed and inspected the wiring harness from engine to MAF/o2/ intake air temp ect. Nothing has made any difference.
Today I had my daughter blip the throttle while watching the turbo actuator and noticed a noise that sounds like an air leak coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. I can not for the life of my locate the source of this sound, but I have noticed that while the turbo is lagging on acceleration the noise is present, and when the turbo decides to kick back in the noise is gone. The turbo lag is very abrupt, no turbo then push you back in your seat. I have attached a video showing the noise. It sounds to me like it's coming from something near the fuel filter, but I can't see anything in that area that would to my knowledge affect the charge air system. Does anyone have an idea that I may not have thought of? https://vimeo.com/173164563

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Possibly a leak echo/noise deflection from the intercooler to plastic housing pipe that holds the AIT sensor and MAP sensor. I'd spray it with soapy water and look for bubbles. There is usually a fan spray pattern of black oil from the leak

seans

I have a 06 140 passenger that suffers from turbo lag and very rare LHM. The turbo lag is much more pronounced when the engine is cold. I have replaced every charge air hose multiple times, pressure tested the charge air system, torqued all charge air hoses over and over, replaced every sensor I know relates to the charge air calculations, cleaned and lubed the turbo actuator linkage multiple times, removed and inspected the wiring harness from engine to MAF/o2/ intake air temp ect. Nothing has made any difference.
Today I had my daughter blip the throttle while watching the turbo actuator and noticed a noise that sounds like an air leak coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. I can not for the life of my locate the source of this sound, but I have noticed that while the turbo is lagging on acceleration the noise is present, and when the turbo decides to kick back in the noise is gone. The turbo lag is very abrupt, no turbo then push you back in your seat. I have attached a video showing the noise. It sounds to me like it's coming from something near the fuel filter, but I can't see anything in that area that would to my knowledge affect the charge air system. Does anyone have an idea that I may not have thought of? https://vimeo.com/173164563

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1) Have you used a code reader to check for diagnostic codes? If you don't have one, here's a guide.

2) It seems like the sound comes on and stops fairly abruptly and I doubt that the turbo has had enough time to spin up and develop pressure. Leaning out the door with the hood open while tapping the gas, I can kind of hear the same sound. So this may be normal.

3) The description of intermittent LHM reminds me of when my EGR valve wasn't working properly. You might try removing it and turning the vanes slowly by hand to see if it binds when it is springing back to its closed position.

You can also turn the key on and off, without starting the van, with the valve out but plugged into the harness, and see if it wipes fully twice when turning the van off. (That is, it should do the two-wipe thing, if I recall correctly. Because it's been a while since I last tried.)

If the spider coupling inside is shot, it probably won't open all the way when exercised this way. If the bearing inside is shot, it won't close all the way without some help because it is binding internally.

If this is the case, it is easiest to buy a new valve. The coupling is not easily replaced (though it can be - I've done it - I'm running on one fabricated from a piece of copper sheet). The bearing can't be replaced at all - it will wear down on one side and the turning part inside will rub against the housing.)

Hope this gets you closer,

Sean

Last edited:

Jamescell

Thanks Sean! Great advice and great write up! Contrary to what I thought the issue was with the exhaust system. I had the flex coupling replaced and am happy to report, the lag and lhm codes are gone! One more thing to check if your having turbo related codes.

Smbrick

Hi Jamescell, I am experiencing a very noticeable turbo lag as well (but no codes or LHM). Are you saying that swapping out the flex coupling on the exhaust pipe is what fixed your problem?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Hi Jamescell, I am experiencing a very noticeable turbo lag as well (but no codes or LHM). Are you saying that swapping out the flex coupling on the exhaust pipe is what fixed your problem?
I doubt you will get a reply from Jamescell as he hasn't logged onto the forum for well over a year now!

Top Bottom