convex mirrors - 2007+ wider viewing angle mirrors

Do any convex mirrors exist for the 2007+ Sprinters to replace the standard flat glass? Even the passenger side is missing the beloved "objects in mirror might be closer than they appear". The Sprinter mirrors could be great if they would just show me a bit more, but as they are it's difficult to see much.

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Do any convex mirrors exist for the 2007+ Sprinters to replace the standard flat glass? Even the passenger side is missing the beloved "objects in mirror might be closer than they appear". The Sprinter mirrors could be great if they would just show me a bit more, but as they are it's difficult to see much.
???? The bottom sections of both mirrors on my Sprinter are slightly convex and, when properly adjusted, are very effective at showing vehicles, or other objects, along the side of the van. Stencil the words on the lower mirrors if it makes you happier. :smilewink:

The upper section is great for a more distant view of what is going on behind/side of the van.

I did have to train myself to check both sections, but especially the lower section, when changing lanes.

???? The bottom sections of both mirrors on my Sprinter are slightly convex and, when properly adjusted, are very effective at showing vehicles, or other objects, along the side of the van. Stencil the words on the lower mirrors if it makes you happier. :smilewink:

The upper section is great for a more distant view of what is going on behind/side of the van.

I did have to train myself to check both sections, but especially the lower section, when changing lanes.
Glad they work so well for you =)

They don't work for me, so if anyone knows of a convex solution I'd appreciate hearing about it!

Rensho

Glad they work so well for you =)

They don't work for me, so if anyone knows of a convex solution I'd appreciate hearing about it!
I'm with you. I hate my sad side mirrors on my 2014. I wish we had regular convex glass so i can see vehicles in my blindspot.
The smaller mirrors are too small for the quick glance. i use those for parking curbside.

I'm with you. I hate my sad side mirrors on my 2014. I wish we had regular convex glass so i can see vehicles in my blindspot.
The smaller mirrors are too small for the quick glance. i use those for parking curbside.
I've found a company that will make me some, but they have to make a custom mold, so they're somewhat pricey. If I go that route I'll offer them for sale to others on Ebay, but I might just install some side cameras. I wish Mercedes had the quality of mirrors that the Promaster has, those things are fantastic!

Motodisiac

Moto Terrorist
Just got 2016 and already miss my 04 convex mirrors. I remember I updated them with OEM European versions, I'm surprised no such option exists for NCV3 vans...

NevadaBlue

I am surprised that they can sell vehicles with the flat mirrors to be blunt. I find that flat mirror dangerous. Hopefully a convex replacement will show up.

ptheland

2013 144" low top Passgr
Perhaps some of you are not using the mirrors correctly. My 2013 has a larger flat mirror on top, with a short but wide convex mirror underneath.

The flat mirror is essentially to replace the functionality of the interior rear view mirror. They are meant to see what is well behind you in your lane and the lane next to yours. They aren't for up-close views.

The convex mirrors are to see what is beside you - as in close enough to hit if you were to change lanes - in the lane next to you. And due to their width, they provide some view into the second lane over. The convex mirror isn't for seeing far behind you. The convex shape makes things too small to see once they get more than 20 or 30 feet behind you.

Correctly adjusted, both the flat and convex mirrors should show you the edge of your vehicle so you can get some reference as to distances. And the convex mirror should be pointed somewhat low, so that a car right beside you is clearly visible. You cannot see that spot with the flat mirror. That low adjustment is also helpful for backing. I can see the painted lines of a parking stall and my rear tires in my convex mirrors, which makes backing into a parking spot a snap.

The slightly convex shape of most passenger car mirrors on the side away from the driver is a compromise due to space limitations. With aerodynamics important in meeting CAFE standards for passenger cars, small mirrors are the most desirable. That doesn't leave room for a combination of flat and convex mirrors.

With these dual mirrors in good adjustment, you should have no blind spots beside your vehicle. What you can't see directly should be visible in the convex mirror. And what the convex mirror can't show you will be in the flat mirror.

With these dual mirrors in good adjustment, you should have no blind spots beside your vehicle. What you can't see directly should be visible in the convex mirror. And what the convex mirror can't show you will be in the flat mirror.
Nice explanation and all, but if you ever drive a vehicle with good mirrors you'll know why we're complaining. The sprinter mirrors are some shaky undersized rubbish. A large 3"bubble mirror in the upper corner improved things considerably.

Top Bottom