PDA

View Full Version : New to me 2013 Sprinter with code P20EE

gholbrow
06-30-2016, 10:50 PM
Hi, y'all, just joined after lurking for a while and already I have my first question.

I just bought this 2013 Sprinter from a dealer, the engine light went on, and it failed the emissions test, code P20EE. A diesel mechanic tells me it needs a new catalytic converter, $3200, while the dealer says it's just the upstream temperature sensor and they'll replace it for me by Tuesday. However, I only have one more day until the lemon law runs out, until then I can still return it for a refund. After tomorrow, I'm stuck with it.

I was satisfied with the deal up to now, but for $3200 more, I'd rather get a newer Transit. So who to believe? Do I exercise my lemon law rights, or trust the dealer, who does have a good reputation, but is still a used car salesman?

Your advice about the significance of that code will be much appreciated!

pfflyer
06-30-2016, 11:05 PM
How many miles? Dealer a MB Sprinter dealer? Emmisions have a 100k warranty. Unless either the dealer or diesel mechanic has a Propper scanner they are both guessing as would anyone here.

gholbrow
07-01-2016, 01:01 AM
150K and a brand new DEF. The dealer specializes in MB and Audi, and works with a MB dealer who would do the repair.

pfflyer
07-01-2016, 03:53 AM
It would be a hard call. Can they guarantee in writing that this will fix the problem and no more lights. Let them know you are thinking of turning it back in. Maybe try to get an extension in writing for a few days past the day they fix it signed by someone with the authority to do so.

Good luck.

sailquik
07-01-2016, 04:08 AM
What does "brand new DEF" mean?
Does it mean that you refilled the DEF tank with fresh DEF Fluid that meets ISO 22241.1?
Or did the dealer replace some of the DEF emissions devices?
Roger

gholbrow
07-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Good question, I am being educated! The mechanic I had look at it told me that the device was new, if I understood correctly, but now I am starting to wonder if I did understand. There's no mention of that in the Carfax report. He said overall it looked in excellent shape except for the emissions, which he suggested need a new cat. He is a diesel mechanic that does a lot of work for FedEx, but not a MB dealer. Reading more on the P20EE code, it sounds like it's pretty generic and could be a lot of different problems, not necessarily just the catalytic converter. I've asked the dealer if they will give a 30 day guarantee for the catalytic converter. Thanks to pfflyer for the suggestion.