Catalytic Converter Theft Protection

Hk Dave

Howdy folks!

Just purchased a 2016 Sprinter 144" High Top with 4 cylinder turbo. :)

I hear catalytic converter theft is rampant.

I was thinking of installing a catclamp, and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of which part in the exhaust system is the catalytic converter.

Almost seems like it's the part in the engine bay which has got me wondering if I even need to secure it?

Thank you folks!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The older model (T1N) had their CAT underneath the van, just in front of the muffler (it looked like two small pre-mufflers).
Very easy to cut off and steal.

I was surprised that my 2007/2008 parts catalog lists but does not show the CAT.
It does show the primary exhaust pipe in the engine area as having a thick portion or two (the first with the Oxygen sensor attached), but that's it.

Here are the three germane diagrams.
The 2nd diagram's parts list calls out item (28) as the CAT... and also says that they don't show it on the diagram.
Item (4) in the second diagram is the DPF. (29) is the pressure sensor to tell when it's full/clogged.

2008cats.jpg

(the above are from a 2008 parts catalog)

Conversely, the T1N parts catalog does not offer the CAT as a separate item, it's included with the part that is called "muffler".

--dick

Last edited:

If you don't need the ground clearance install a nice set of low running boards.

It is not guaranteed to stop the theft, but it makes access more difficult so they will move on to other high ground clearance easier to crawl under vehicles.

A secondary benefit is that it makes getting into your Sprinter easier for your passengers.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

showkey

CAT theft is a bigger problem in some areas or regions.

There are many CATs that have sensors, wires and fittings used to monitor their performance, then there is DEF plumbing attached to the " SRC CAT"..........might be tough to find a clamp to fit ?"'

General pic of the exhaust is slide 89 in the link below ( it's a V6 but gives you a the general idea)

http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/NV3-Sprinter_Overview_Part_2.pdf

Last edited:

sleeper bird

there should only be one catalytic converter,the others are diesel particulate filter and muffler.im pretty sure

showkey

Newer models have a CAT and DPF in the same can and multiple CATs............but...........think it matters little to the crack head thief with a saws all or battery cutoff tool.

If theft is a concern.......they will likely take the whole $5000 exhaust system and sort it out back at the hide out.

Top Bottom