PDA

View Full Version : injector cleaning ?

mickwha
06-26-2016, 08:49 AM
I have smoke issues at idel.

bought ebay injector swapped it with injector 4 (at back) made no difference. Swapped it with injector 3 - noticable difference but had real problems swapping it (snapped bolt etc)

I really cant be bothered with swapping more and getting more greif.

Now I know a fresh set of injectors will cure this but is there any reliable method or product i can use to clean the injectors in situe ?

Personal expereince please :)

Picoscope
06-26-2016, 06:50 PM
I assume you have a OM651, because you said injector number 4 at the rear. Unless you have over 100k miles, you should still be under emission warranty. 5 year/100k miles. The dealer will be able to find the smoking issue. I know there is a bulletin with tests to find the cause. Due to the particulate filter, you should not see smoke out of the exhaust pipe unless major issue with cat/DPF. Another known cause is injectors without crush seals or too many seals. Check the injectors height with straight edge. That would be MB's oops. I hope this helps in a way.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sailquik
06-26-2016, 07:30 PM
mickwha,
If you are in the USA/CAN and do indeed have the OM-651 engine with a 100k emissions warranty then take Picoscopes advice.
If you are in Europe or AUS/NZ or So. America, then you may have the OM-651 or some other small MB turbo diesel.
If you have a lot of mileage, the best thing to do is take it to an authorized MB Truck/Sprinter dealer and have it run on the
MB SDS diagnostic unit.
This diagnostics will be able to test the actual injector output at both idle and running which will quickly determine if you have
and injector issue and which injector (s) have issues.
Don't think there are any "miracle cures" that you can add to the fuel tank to clean worn out/dirty piezo electronic fuel injectors.
Best to replace them all, or better still have shop with all the correct tooling replace them all.
You need injector removal tools, injector seat cleaners/re-surfacers, possibly injector bore reamers and taps, plus calibrated
torque tools to install the hold down bolts/claws correctly.
It's even possible that your smoke at idle is NOT due to the injectors at all.
Hope this helps,
Roger

MercedesGenIn
06-26-2016, 07:40 PM
Unsure which injectors you have there. Though it matters little on the older type solenoid injectors, the later Piezo injectors would certainly be better correctly coded in the ECU if swapped round or replaced before looking elsewhere for fuelling issues. It makes a considerable difference.
All the best
Steve

Cheyenne
06-26-2016, 07:55 PM
I have smoke issues at idle.

bought ebay injector swapped it with injector 4 (at back) made no difference.

I assume you have a OM651, because you said injector number 4 at the rear

Eric

Michwha is in the UK and has a 2008 313 CDi which is most likely a 4 cylinder 2.2 litre OM 646 according to Sprinter Wiki.

Keith.

MercedesGenIn
06-26-2016, 08:35 PM
In that case injectors would need to be coded to make a decision if any further issues existed.
All the best
Steve.