228.51 vs 229.51

sunnyside

Anyone technical enough to explain the difference between these two Sprinter ok oils.

In my 2012 owners manual MB says use only very high a very high quality grade oil like 228.51 for extended drains of 10000 miles No mention of 229.51

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
MB 228.51 was the 2012 approved oils list, at time of printing, and later Sprinters were approved for 229.51, which dropped the 10W grades for 0W40 and 5W40

You can use either 228.51 or 229.51 in your 2012 , 229.51 wasn't approved at time of your manual's printing, it is now.
228.51 came in 0W30, 10W30, 10W40, 5W30
229.51 came in 0W30, 0W40, 5W30 or 5W40 grades

Not using 10W30 or 10W40 may give you better fuel economy and faster starts.

the lists of approved oils can be found here https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/228.51_en.html

sunnyside

Ok, sounds good, but the manual does list 229.51, it also specifically states 228.51 as a superior grade oil.

I guess the real question I have is Mobile 1's "uber" diesel oil is branded as Delvac and UBER expensive. The Delvac LE 5w 30 is the ONLY (well at least remotely available in the US) oil I have seen with the 228.51 approval.

Is 229.51 direct replacement for 228.51, and if so why doesn't 229.51 oils list the 228.51 have the 228.51 approval on the lable?

Ok, sounds good, but the manual does list 229.51, it also specifically states 228.51 as a superior grade oil.

I guess the real question I have is Mobile 1's "uber" diesel oil is branded as Delvac and UBER expensive. The Delvac LE 5w 30 is the ONLY (well at least remotely available in the US) oil I have seen with the 228.51 approval.

Is 229.51 direct replacement for 228.51, and if so why doesn't 229.51 oils list the 228.51 have the 228.51 approval on the lable?
You bring up what I've been pointing out for some time now.

As to MB specs, there is what I think is a rather large misconception in that the higher, or newer, number MB spec lubricants are better in all ways than their lower number predecessors. E.G. - MB228.XX oil as compared to MB229.XX oil for T1N’s and assuming that MB229.XX is always better. In the MB BEVO system just because it is a different formulation and a lower number does not automatically mean that it is a totally inferior product. It means that it is a different product. If it were not up to the task then they would not list it on BEVO for use in your vehicle.

For example.

MB228.3 engine oil is fine for OM612 and OM647 5 cylinder engines used in a given climate. MB228.31 is indicated as not appropriate if you look at the proper sub notes. So not all products of a similar number range are backward compatible or "better". They are different.
I recall a discussion over in the Aussie section where a member claimed that in his mind the MB228.XX series of oils were designed specifically for diesels and might be the better choice over some MB229.XX choices.

What you quote from your manual appears to support that.

:cheers: vic

Here's the more complete quote which includes the snip above.

As always, clicking on the blue arrow icon within any quote box takes you to the original post/thread.

Zerex G05 is HOAT technology and meets the MB spec.

More information and opinion than you probably want is here:

This is a Fluids canned response

Revised 2015/06/06

(Young people who have only ever purchased oil in plastic won’t appreciate the bold print title above.)

My goal is to refrain from Sprinter fluid discussion. (For me it’s a goal which is not easily attained.) This has what I think is some practical information.

All brands of fluids within a MB specification are compatible. They need to be, or they wouldn’t meet the MB specification. So for top off, what OEM factory brand was used is not critical within a MB specification.

Of course the easiest answer as to proper fluids is to direct people to the Mercedes Benz BEVO site which is the official information for MB vehicle fluids. Personally I find that the site is often not easy to extract the information you seek. Another issue for NAFTA owners is that many of the products they list are just not readily available, or available at all, in North America.

Here is the English language official MB BEVO link.
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/index.php?language_id=1

The MB and Sprinter market in North America is fairly small. Because of that there may be many readily available products in North America which would pass the MB spec tests, but just are not submitted to MB. The return on investment for the approval process just may not be there for them. Just my thoughts, I have no data.

As to MB specs, there is what I think is a rather large misconception in that the higher, or newer, number MB spec lubricants are better in all ways than their lower number predecessors. E.G. - MB228.XX oil as compared to MB229.XX oil for T1N’s and assuming that MB229.XX is always better. In the MB BEVO system just because it is a different formulation and a lower number does not automatically mean that it is a totally inferior product. It means that it is a different product. If it were not up to the task then they would not list it on BEVO for use in your vehicle.

For example.

MB228.3 engine oil is fine for OM612 and OM647 5 cylinder engines used in a given climate. MB228.31 is indicated as not appropriate if you look at the proper sub notes. So not all products of a similar number range are backward compatible or "better". They are different.

Picoscope

Dealers now use MB 229.52, no longer mobile 1. MB is manufacturing their own product. XXX.X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
MB just re-bottles/re-brands whatever approved fluid they can get a good deal on.

228.xx are HDEO oils - heavy duty diesel oil. They have a bigger tbn which is more capacity to absorb acids than the equivalent non-diesel 229.xx oils. In practice it makes no difference which one you use in a sprinter, because the drain interval occurs well before the acid absorption limit is reached in either case.

MB just re-bottles/re-brands whatever approved fluid they can get a good deal on.
Yep. Business is business so whoever gives them the best overall deal will get to bottle the MB branded oil. That can include things other than price.

For a long time MB race cars sported Mobil 1 logos. Now Petronas is front and center.

MBMobil1.jpg

Recent

MBPetronas.jpg

I wonder who supplies the MB branded oil now? :hmmm:
http://www.petronas.com.my/about-us/Pages/default.aspx

I have no data.

Notice that all products in BeVo are listed alphabetically except the Mercedes brands. Marketing 101. Who wouldn't do the same?

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

kcmtb

FYI,

According to MB's spec sheet (dated April 2017 at the time of this reply), the OM 642 engine in the context of the Sprinter van (regardless of model year) is approved for the following specs:

Also, Shell has a new Rotella that's finally available which meets 228.51: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60863
First post for me here on the fourms. I wanted to start with a thank you to all the great contributors within the community!!

I also wanted to add chevron delo 400 xsp 5w40 is a great option available at your local Walmart that meets 228.51. For my case with a OM 651 van engine w/dpf (reference MB 223.2)

For a fun read down a deep and dark rabbit hole see: 540ratblog.wordpress.com that contains a very opinionated and defensive yet helpful look into the complicated world of modern tribology

Enjoy!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Maybe worth mentioning here that classification numbers going up don't necessary indicate better quality oil.
Modern engines are also miniature chemp plants and they need proper chemistry, like several seized OM642 engines show.
So when 229.52 is oil for more advanced DEF system than 229.51, I would wonder where the 228.xx oil should go.
Maybe it is design for gasoline engines, maybe for 2-cycles?
Meaning don't substitute the numbers.
Since average driver doesn't spend on oil more than $150, I advise to buy the best and 229.52 Motul is available almost everywhere.
Amazon, walmart, They deliver it to your home for no shipping charge.

travelator

I recall a discussion over in the Aussie section where a member claimed that in his mind the MB228.XX series of oils were designed specifically for diesels and might be the better choice over some MB229.XX choices.

What you quote from your manual appears to support that.

vic
Hi, I know I'm a bit late for the party but I reckoned I'd add my own 5 cents for anyone else who, like me, stumbles upon this thread.

Looking for the best-suited oil for my brand-new 2020 NCV3 Sprinter (907, 4cyl OM651), what I’ve found seems to back up the notion that MB-228.5x oils are more specifically designed (and suited) for diesel engines. While 229.5x oils may be quality synthetic, low-SAPS oils, they all seem to be geared more than anything else towards reducing fuel consumption and extending DPF life—regardless of whether the engine is gasoline or diesel, since they’re suited for both (mostly ACEA C3 and C4 certified). In my book, one-size-fits-all is never the best option, especially for something as important as engine oil.

Looking at diesel-specific oils (specifically designed for the operating temperatures and conditions of diesel engines), I can’t find any MB-approved 229.5x oils, only 228.5x: Castrol Vecton Fuel Saver 5W-30, Motul Tekma Mega XLA 10W-40, Liqui Moly Top Tec Truck 5350 5w-30, Champion 5W30 UHPD Extra, Ravenol Super Synthetic Truck SAE 5W-30, etc., are all diesel-specific oils that are both MB-228.51 approved and ACEA E6 certified for heavy-duty diesel engines.

These are all diesel-specific low-SAPS oils compatible with DPFs and AdBlue. As stated by ACEA E6:

Stable, stay-in-grade oil providing excellent control of piston cleanliness, wear, soot handling and lubricant stability. It is recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro I, Euro II, Euro III, Euro IV, Euro V and Euro VI emission requirements and running under very severe conditions, e.g. significantly extended oil drain intervals according to the manufacturer's recommendations. It is suitable for EGR engines, with or without particulate filters, and for engines fitted with SCR NOx reduction systems. E6 quality is strongly recommended for engines fitted with particulate filters and is designed for use in combination with low sulphur diesel fuel.
They do have to comply with the latest fuel reduction legislation and are designed with exhaust after-treatment in mind, but they’re mainly focused on the working conditions of diesel engines.

From where I stand it seems like you can either prioritize engine longevity (228.51 would seem more appropriate for that), or DPF longevity (for which 229.52 is probably the way to go). I guess you just can’t have both. If I had to choose, I reckon I prefer 228.51. Or for a more balanced approach, maybe alternating between 228.51 and 229.51?

Top Bottom