problem getting intake recall

sprinter-03

Hey all,
I decided to bite the bullet and get the intake recall on my 03 t1n. My intake looks like it is corroding on the EGR pipe. Worrying the acidic gasses are eroding it from inside out. My issue is, I called the Mercedes Sprinter dealer here in town, and they said call Dodge. So I called the Dodge dealer, and they said call Mercedes... So I then called the local Freightliner shop and they cant do it either. Then I called The Chrysler recall hotline. The lady was very helpful in trying to help me, she said the only place she found to do it is FIDYA Freightliner in cleveland OH. Thats 4 hrs away from me! Anyone know for a fact if Mercedes or Dodge can do the recall? I live in Cincinnati OH

... Anyone know for a fact if Mercedes or Dodge can do the recall? I live in Cincinnati OH
I know for a fact that either can do it, but it may not be that simple. Reports are that the job isn't that complex.

Not all Mercedes dealerships are Sprinter repair facilities. Not all Dodge dealerships have retained their Sprinter techs/mechanics. Not all Freightliner shops are thrilled to work on Sprinters.

In a perfect world I would suggest that you could push your problem up the food chain with either Dodge or Mercedes for resolution. The recall has no time limit that I'm aware of. Mercedes designed/built the van that has the faulty intake manifold. Dodge sold the van. Both carry responsibility.

That said, you might better go to a shop that has someone who has done the job a few times.

Not that you asked...

My advice would be to get assurance that they have all the parts necessary and the experience to do the job. Make an appointment. Take the trip to the shop who is experienced, willing, and able to do the recall.

Not ideal, but the quality of the resulting repair may be worth the extra effort on your part.

vic

sprinter-03

Hi Vic,
Thanks for the reply. The Sprinter specific Dealer here in town( http://www.cincysprinter.com/ ) told me they cant do it.. I will have to get a bit more persistent with them. I feel good that they can do the job. I would have no problem doing the job if they just gave me the parts. But I highly doubt that!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Freightliner is still part of Daimler... beat on the MB dealer to get the part from the 4-hours-away Freightliner dealer.
(assuming that dealer actually has the part in hand...)

Of course, you could explore getting the Feds on their tail(s) for not performing the recall.

good luck
--dick

lmckenzie

Took my 02 Freightliner to a fairly new Mercedes dealer in Collierville TN in May 2015 for oil change. They did the oil change and then told me I need the manifold recall and they would be happy to do it. I said ok, and they gave me a new Mercedes C class loaner for the 7 or 8 days it took (they took my Sprinter apart and then had to order a few parts). I've had no problems in the 13 months since the repair.

surlyoldbill

When I tried to do it, the local Dodge dealer said I'd have to leave my van with them for 3 weeks. I asked if they needed to wait that long for the part, and if so, could I bring it in after the part arrived, and they said no, they needed to have the van for three weeks. Between the lines they were saying **** you, we don't want to do it, go away.

The shop billing manual says it's a 5 hour job.

I have yet to have my manifold done on my early 2002.

When I first bought the Sprinter (used) I was at the Freightliner dealer it been originally purchased at, the service manager said they could do it but they "loose money on every one" as it takes longer than they get paid for.

That did not give me a good feeling so I chose to wait as I have been using my Sprinter about 5k per year mostly for camping or trips when I need to move something large.

There is a fairly new MB dealer in Wappingers that always has dozens of Sprinters in the lot, I may ask about this recall with them.

Is there a way to inspect the manifold to check for this corrosion issue?
I do have access to a bore scope.

Thanks,
Jim

Is there a way to inspect the manifold to check for this corrosion issue?
I do have access to a bore scope.

Thanks,
Jim
I can't answer that.

A failed manifold can scorch the firewall insulation. In the worst situation the insulation can catch on fire.

In another thread, my suggestion was to glue or other wise fasten a piece of flat aluminum (roof flashing?) to the firewall at the end of the manifold.

That metal does at least two things.
1.) It protects against fire.
2.) It gives a surface where any leaking will be more easily detected during casual visual inspections.

If you want to delay the recall I would suggest installing a metal protector.

That said, given the comments in this thread it is sounding like getting the recall done sooner rather than later may be the better choice. As time passes here may be fewer shops that are eager to do the work.

vic

MikeP

How many never had the recall done?
Also, does the shop doing the recall work charge for problems they find that they feel that in their opinion is not directly related to recall?
Just curious.

surlyoldbill

Mike, a dealership shop would probably try to do a hard-sell on other issues that may or may not need attention. If you go in for the recall, make sure to get in writing that they will not perform any work that could be billed to you without your authorization. You don't want to go pick it up and have them announce they needed to change the EGR and flush the coolant system, and here's a bill for $1500.

Also, does the shop doing the recall work charge for problems they find that they feel that in their opinion is not directly related to recall?
Just curious.
Yes. Only the manifold replacement and directly associated parts are covered under the recall.

vic

sprinter-03

I am quite worried about the dealer adding other things to the otherwise "free" repair. I did manage to find another Mercedes sprinter dealer that might be willing to do it. I'm expecting a call from them on Monday. I wonder what the answer will be.

GaryJ

Here since 2006
I'd tell the dealer to scan it for any stored codes and give you a printout before they start the work. Pay for that if you have to. That way everybody knows there's nothing wrong with the van going into the shop. You'll be protected later from them possibly trying to cover their errors by saying the van has (had) other problems.

Gary

I'd tell the dealer to scan it for any stored codes and give you a printout before they start the work. Pay for that if you have to. That way everybody knows there's nothing wrong with the van going into the shop. You'll be protected later from them possibly trying to cover their errors by saying the van has (had) other problems.

Gary
That was my thought, do a D.A.D. scan prior before and after with printed results, and ask the dealer for the same. :thumbup:

video24

Hi Guys/Gals, I'm in Atlanta and I'm getting the run around from the Benz dealers about my 2002- 2500 Intake recall repair. What is the official word? seems to be a gray area here.

Greg in ATL

Top Bottom