Help me Sprinter Wan Kenobe!

Yes, another 2008 NCV3 key thread. But mine is urgentish. Intermittant key lock problems this month, usually with wheels turned and pressure on steering. Today, flat, straightahead park and lock-no turn. Checked forum and did the level 1 voodoo; (wiggle and turn, tap key, check lights, check another key, try unlocking doors.) She started. Got her home and did level 2 voodoo; (check all fuses, replace keyfob batteries, voltmeter to both batteries, run autel scanner on Chrysler US and Mercedes EU), 14+volts on engine battery(2 years old), 13.8 on aux(8 years old).(y cable exam, and starter disconnect to come), pulled aux batt- off to parts store for testing-ok. solid starts with both keys.

Chrysler codes; B1003 DTC9003 ELV timeoutduring unlocking, B1005 DTC 9005 ELV loss of communication, B1002 DTC 9002 high voltage, B1001 DTC 9001 low voltage.

The EU Mercedes codes were similar; 9003 N26/5 no feedback during unlocking ESL/ELV unit. 9005ESL/ELV communication fault, 9002 EIS/ECS overvoltage, 9001 EIS/ECS undervoltage.

Specifically;

Is there more level one or two voodoo I can do to restore my confidence before crossing British Columbia? Prince Rupert to Bellingham, WA.

Is Sprintereei correct in post 6885 (Help, Stranded in Lowe's)? Do I have ILP(Ignition Lockout Problem), or gulp, SILP? My locks are not responding to either keyfob.

I have 24 hours to rewrite my ticket and Ferry all the way to Bellingham, vs Prince Rupert and a scenic but lonely drive.

Vivesection of the streering column (level 3 voodoo, would be a stretch for my skills, but I do have a dremel with a cutoff tool and I am not afraid to use it.)

I came to Dennis' advice late in the search...but won't follow unless I can find a "how to":

"Make sure your shifter cable hasn't dropped off the transmission bracket and its stuck in a gear.
Neutral safety won't allow a crank remember.
If misplaced and the delrin C clip is missing use zip ties to hold it in place."

Please, can you alter time, speed up the harvest or telport me off this rock?

I suppose that the "undervoltage and overvoltage" codes make the Wye cable a possibility. :idunno:

The remote Fob features not working may be providing a clue, but that should be unrelated to the ignition key system not working.

Those other codes point to the lock system though.

A video showing the ESL/ELV unit dis-assembly. A subsequent video showed a container of grease. Maybe lubing the parts shown in the first video will help? (No audio in the first.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmfppfD3ajI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYsBxxOXoA4

Do you get a click? If yes, there may be some help here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40279

Sorry I can't offer more.

vic

Last edited:
Sprinter Van Kenobi De-brief: I am endorsing Srinterrei's advice in 'Help, Standed in Lowe's'. Once the intermittent ignition lockup problems begin, proceed to rule out other bad actors and keep an eye to EIS and likely ELV replacement. Read further for tedious details that may not apply to your situation. Harmony Motors Bellingham, balked at the install of the new EIS which had to be ordered through the dealer (Wilson!) along with proof of ownership and my id. Mark Bender at Harmony said that the authorization code was generated and lasted for only an hour and didn't want the headache if the first install failed. This was the last time the key in the old EIS would turn and a week later we skidded it on to a flatbed for transport to Wilson Mercedes. The mech at Wilson managed to get the old ELV unit off without damaging it by 'driving the pin out'. Um, I know! A happy marriage with the two new units and now instead of a happy loud whirring noise in the dash that used to signal a successful handshake, there is a quiet hum and the key turns every time. It wasn't cheap. Part number 906-440-16-41 (ELV, the 'tamperproof' steering lock) $318. 906-900-37-03 (EIS, the new ignition switch) $402. Labor $1320, (I know!). Just to be thorough, Harmony replaced the
'Wye' cable at my request. I dissected the old cable and found no evidence of damage. Time to update my scan tool though, it doesn't recognize the new EIS. Now to find Leia and Han and get off this rock.

Top Bottom