Installing a GPS Tracker... anything I should know about?

altlyzr evreda

I'm planning on going with Rhino Fleet Tracking out of Texas. They send me the GPS Tracker and I install it. I have a 2016 MB 2500 and my main concern is that I'm going to be required to pull half the dash to get the receiver/transmitter high enough away from the body to get a signal.

Any suggestions, concerns, or tips would be appreciated.

I've also looked into Verizon Fleet Tracking but I hear their tracker is visible or easily found. Any opinions?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I don't know the NCV3 dashboard at all, but the older T1N's plastic "hump" behind the instrument panel was trivial to open. (2 screws from the top).
If they carried that design philosophy into the NCV3, your job would be simple.

--dick

altlyzr evreda

Thanks Gulfbreeze but I'm trying to hide the transmitter in case of possible theft.

autostaretx thanks for the heads-up, I'm not crazy about it but if I have to open it up it's nice to know.

altlyzr evreda

I'm sorry Gulfbreeze, I did want to thank you for the splitter idea. I looked into it and if someone goes looking for a transmitter hooked into the obdii like the one offered by Verizon they'd find it. If they go looking for wires running from under the drivers seat, around the drivers pit under the fairing and neatly bundled up the dash they wouldn't recognize it.

I will tell you that after your suggestion I looked it up and it would simplify this whole process about 1000%. Thanks for the idea.

Another possibility would be to get a long obd2 extension cable something like this one 15 feet http://www.obd2cables.com/products/...2m-to-j1962f-obd-ii-extension-cable-15ft.html Plug the GPS tracker in one end, cut the connector off the other end, mount the tracker where you want it and then run the cable to a + 12 volts power source that is hot all the time, cut off excess cable length, and tapped into the 12 volts. It would require tapping into a ground somewhere.

I have heard of trackers to work mounted inside/behind front bumper or rear bumper. Just a thought.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The NCV3's OBD socket can be dislodged from its normal position (under the fuse box cover) and pushed behind the metal that usually holds it.
That would let you route the wires sight-unseen.

--dick

Top Bottom