Need advise on buying a 2006 118"

I am looking at buying my first sprinter
I want a short tall 2006 and older.

I found. 2006 118 low roof 150,000 km 2 owner van that was used for light carpentry work
Painted 6 years ago and the rust just starting to come back, although the hood front 2 inches is totally rusted away hidden by plastic trim. Doors have been oiled and are in great shape. Oiled underneath.
Brake line repaired,(that tells me it is some rust for a brake line to go) transmission flushed, plus other small things done, new tires etc
Paying about 7k usd, nervous as hell, as it is about 900 miles away.

I pasted on a 06 short tall with 185000 kms on it in Toronto owned by a painter, looks okay and the price 5500usd. I really want the short tall but the only work he has done is brakes and no history prior to that.

I'm I guess what you would call semi retired, plan to use it for work but the main reason is I plan a trip to the west coast from the east coast and want to make a conversion camper.
I'm I paying too much and should I be looking for the lowest mileage vehicle I can find?

what type of scan tool reader should i consider?
i would like to buy a eco green diesel tune, scan2 type reader as well, vents for the roof and some other stuff for the camper conversion

Attachments

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Given those two choices, i would avoid the one with body rust. 150k vs 185k is hardly noticeable.

Mechanical subsystems can be repaired/replaced.... overall (and hidden) rust issues will just keep eating away at you.

... but that's my personal feelings about rust buckets (having seen other friends fighting them)

If you really want the "tall", the rust-bucket will never provide that

--dick

I'd take long with no rust over tall and rusty

Oops. I guess I just showed my feminine side.

:cheers: vic

Everything is rusty here
I really want a short tall but I dont know the history.
I'll buy the short short one that comes with new tires winter tires, roof rack and hitch an full sevice history
Wish me luck

Okay
I bought the grey 2006
Glee to Montreal paid for and I'm heading home. The PO owner bought new tires to go with the used winters last week except he night 4 more winter tires! So I have 8 like new tires, winter that is.
So far so good.
Lots of power drives good. Wanders a bit. Shows 30700 with the wrench on the odometer when you scroll through.
No key with door poppers and no locks on the inside of the door.

I do need a owners manual as the one with it is all in French so I am just looking at pictures so far. Anyone with an extra manual you can part with that would be great
Okay time to hit the long and dusty still 1000kms to go.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
You push the handle in to lock the doors, just like other Mercedes. If there are no lock buttons, you don't have an electronic locking system.
15" tires, just about the only tires you can get with the correct load rating. Mud and Snow.
And don't forget Daylight Running Lights. You'll have headlights all the time. But if you want dash lights and high beams, you have to turn on your headlights.

View attachment 2006_VA_Sprinter.pdf

Last edited:
You push the handle in to lock the doors, just like other Mercedes. If there are no lock buttons, you don't have an electronic locking system.
15" tires, just about the only tires you can get with the correct load rating. Mud and Snow.
And don't forget Daylight Running Lights. You'll have headlights all the time. But if you want dash lights and high beams, you have to turn on your headlights.

View attachment 77214
I guess the mud and snow tires will wear out pretty quick running them all summer.
Will later 16" sprinter rims work? It should be easier to find 16" LT TIRES
Thank you for the manual

Top Bottom