PDA

View Full Version : Attention all 2014+ I4 Owners Cracked DEF

dnshaf
06-10-2016, 10:59 PM
Hey all, I wanted to share my experience with my I4 DPF. I currently have 338,000 mi but early on my dealer pointed out that my DPF was cracked under the mesh screen (in the flex part). I do believe that it was still under warranty but they gave me no documentation, so at 300,000 I started getting codes regarding pressures in the DPF and I found that my DPF was actually cracked in 3 places!:bash: Also both brackets were broke too!:bash: I'm posting this so all you I4 owners can take a look at your DPF very closely before you have 100K so you can have it replaced under warranty! See photos
Hope this helps!
Dan

JJolls
06-11-2016, 12:11 AM
Dnshaf: I'm curious... did the sound of the exhaust system change over time?. I'm experiencing a more pronounced "deeper" sound that I now hear upon acceleration in my '14 I-4. This sound was not existent when the van was new, and I'm beginning to wonder if I should crawl under and have a look at the DPF for cracks, etc. I have nowhere near the mileage that you have...I've got about 16,000 on the van.

At any rate, thanks for your report and excellent pictures!

JJ

sunnyside
06-11-2016, 02:36 AM
338,000 miles on a I4 20014, wow! Please tell your maintenance experiences, and cost. It would be greatly appreciated.

sailquik
06-11-2016, 02:55 AM
Guys,
Dan gave me the warning, so I had mine inspected just before the emissions warranty ran out @ 100k miles.
My Sprinter had the cracked upper flex joint plus the broken bracket was replaced @ ~ 60 k miles.
I did not notice any difference in the sound, and it sounds pretty much the same now that the entire DPF has been
replaced under warranty @ 99,500 miles.
My guess would be that the broken DPF Support bracket is causative or at least a contributor to the flex pipe cracking, and
that the dealers just replace the defective DPF Support bracket without even inspecting the flex pipes at the top and bottom of the
DPF.
Had Dan not warned me, I would have just let it go and I would be buying a new DPF on my nickel very soon.
Hope this helps,
Roger

sprinterPaul
06-11-2016, 03:27 AM
338,000 miles on a I4 20014, wow! Please tell your maintenance experiences, and cost. It would be greatly appreciated.

holy crap, you do some driving!

Doctor Handyman
06-11-2016, 06:05 AM
Isn't that like 500/ day.
I don't have 33,000 on my 2014

dnshaf
06-12-2016, 03:10 AM
Dnshaf: I'm curious... did the sound of the exhaust system change over time?. I'm experiencing a more pronounced "deeper" sound that I now hear upon acceleration in my '14 I-4. This sound was not existent when the van was new, and I'm beginning to wonder if I should crawl under and have a look at the DPF for cracks, etc. I have nowhere near the mileage that you have...I've got about 16,000 on the van.

At any rate, thanks for your report and excellent pictures!

JJ

The only changes I could hear is the exhaust note gets a little lower when it is in its regeneration phase. Other than that I had a rattle that went away when I replaced the DPF. I believe it was from the crack in the lower bellows.

dnshaf
06-12-2016, 03:24 AM

Hey Sunnyside, Basically I change my oil about once a month, (Amsoil AEL 5-30) I purchase a 30 gal drum and pump it into 3 gallon containers and buy filters from Europarts (Mann) take them to my local Big Brand Tire which has a tech that always works on my van. $20 for oil change (12,000mi average). Buy Tranny kit from Europarts with MBZ Fluid and my "guy" does it for $45, $100 if we do the torque converter, (75,000 mi intervals). I've done the diff twice and front brakes at 175,000 rear at 220,000mi, I do the fuel filter myself (5-10min) at 25,000 to 35,000 intervals and air and cabin filters as needed. Engine and tranny are doing great but I've had some other issues that are detailed in my other posts, I would encourage you to check them out if you have an I4!
Hope this helps!
Dan

dnshaf
06-12-2016, 03:29 AM
Isn't that like 500/ day.
I don't have 33,000 on my 2014

LOL,,, Hey Doc wanna trade??:rad:

BobFur
08-31-2016, 12:35 PM
re: DPF bracket cracking
Thanks to dnshaf and others for sharing info about this problem !
Over the last few months I have noticed a very light squeaking sound at idle and low speeds coming from under my 2015 I4 which is exactly one year old today.
Mentioned this noise when van went in for its 30,000km / 20,000mi service yesterday. Dealer found small crack in DPF bracket which is being replaced under warranty.

Seems very low mileage for such a failure.
Urging all I4 OM-651 owners to have this bracket checked to prevent future $$$$$ DPF problems

pfflyer
08-31-2016, 01:42 PM
Guys,
Dan gave me the warning, so I had mine inspected just before the emissions warranty ran out @ 100k miles.
My Sprinter had the cracked upper flex joint plus the broken bracket was replaced @ ~ 60 k miles.
I did not notice any difference in the sound, and it sounds pretty much the same now that the entire DPF has been
replaced under warranty @ 99,500 miles.
My guess would be that the broken DPF Support bracket is causative or at least a contributor to the flex pipe cracking, and
that the dealers just replace the defective DPF Support bracket without even inspecting the flex pipes at the top and bottom of the
DPF.
Had Dan not warned me, I would have just let it go and I would be buying a new DPF on my nickel very soon.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Interesting that your bracket was replaced under warranty. My 2013 6cylinder DPF bracket was discovered cracked when being serviced at 80k but I was charged for it. I protested and was told only major components of emmisions are covered and brackets are not a major component. MB USA said it was the service managers decision and the service manager answer was not to cover it even though the bracket was replaced with a redesigned bracket.

sheral
08-31-2016, 03:19 PM
Any idea when MB may have ‘upgraded’ the parts on the newer model I4 (2016, mid 2015, etc)? Obviously still an important item to check but would be nice to know if and when MB did any upgrades.

starfighter
08-31-2016, 04:37 PM
I have a 2014 with 4 cyl. engine.
Where is this support bracket ? How do I see it ? ( Idon't know what a DPF is)
and how do I tell the new improved from the old one that cracks ?
Thanx for any help.

starfighter
08-31-2016, 05:32 PM
I have a 2014 with 4 cyl. engine.
Where is this support bracket ? How do I see it ? ( Idon't know what a DPF is)
and how do I tell the new improved from the old one that cracks ?
Thanx for any help.

Anyone have a part number for the new "improved" bracket ?

Bobnoxious
08-31-2016, 09:15 PM
Interesting that your bracket was replaced under warranty. My 2013 6 cylinder DPF bracket was discovered cracked when being serviced at 80k but I was charged for it.

Apparently, this could be a failure common to the bracket. On aircraft, as they accumulate hours, component failures crop up and can be anticipated on assembly line models with less hours. Depending if the component is flight critical, it is either redesigned or replaced the upon failure

Therefor, I am curious if the tech was aware to examine at this particular bracket or serendipitously discovered it?

I protested and was told only major components of emmisions are covered and brackets are not a major component.

As a life long scholar of law. I would argue the bracket is covered under warranty because it is component related to and critical to the function of a major component.

MB USA said it was the service managers decision and the service manager answer was not to cover it even though the bracket was replaced with a redesigned bracket.

The is excellent example of when I would employ the threat of standing-out in front of the Stealership with sign advertising my dissatisfaction. Perfectly legal if you remain on public right-of-way. But that's me. Most consumers lack the testicular fortitude to follow through with such tactics.

I played this threat only once (and would not hesitate to it again) when a VW Stealership goobered up the rubber ball joint dust boots on a VW type 1. They promptly replaced the damaged boots. Like the old adage says, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil!"

I am 100% confident if you would have played this threat the service manager would've capitulated post haste! Especially, if you could present supporting evidence of forum members such as, Sailqik and dnshaf who suffered similar bracket failure and made whole, I assume without charge?

Additionally, I am curious if MB has issued any appropriate bulletins related to this component failure? If not, why?

Now, please excuse me while don my coveralls, grab a drop light and throughly scrutinize my DPF. Sounds of obscene.

pfflyer
08-31-2016, 10:25 PM
Apparently, this could be a failure common to the bracket. On aircraft, as they accumulate hours, component failures crop up and can be anticipated on assembly line models with less hours. Depending if the component is flight critical, it is either redesigned or replaced the upon failure

Therefor, I am curious if the tech was aware to examine at this particular bracket or serendipitously discovered it?

As a life long scholar of law. I would argue the bracket is covered under warranty because it is component related to and critical to the function of a major component.

The is excellent example of when I would employ the threat of standing-out in front of the Stealership with sign advertising my dissatisfaction. Perfectly legal if you remain on public right-of-way. But that's me. Most consumers lack the testicular fortitude to follow through with such tactics.

I played this threat only once (and would not hesitate to it again) when a VW Stealership goobered up the rubber ball joint dust boots on a VW type 1. They promptly replaced the damaged boots. Like the old adage says, "The squeaky wheel gets the oil!"

I am 100% confident if you would have played this threat the service manager would've capitulated post haste! Especially, if you could present supporting evidence of forum members such as, Sailqik and dnshaf who suffered similar bracket failure and made whole, I assume without charge?

Additionally, I am curious if MB has issued any appropriate bulletins related to this component failure? If not, why?

Now, please excuse me while don my coveralls, grab a drop light and throughly scrutinize my DPF. Sounds of obscene.

It was $100 and I don't have the time to do any other protests other than find another place for service. Here lies the rub and I mentioned this to the service manager and MB USA. I could just let the bracket fail and let MB replace the whole thing under warranty. MB said it was the service managers discretion and the SM more or less said by not replacing it after it was pointed out, could void the warranty. I think but am not sure the tech was looking for this issue maybe because of a tech bulletin so they could avoid a major warranty claims. It was in their best interest to replace the bracket. The bracket was redesigned so to me it was a known issue that should be replaced no charge. I gave it the old college try and it is time for me to move on. This will help me decide whether or not to replace this van with another Sprinter and if I do it wont be at this dealer.

Cvollmar
08-31-2016, 10:42 PM
We got a TSB on the bracket and I found mine broken at 30k I filed warranty on it not sure if it got paid or not but I assume it did.

Bobnoxious
08-31-2016, 11:23 PM
It was $100 and I don't have the time to do any other protests other than find another place for service.

A logical course of action. Time vs money, always a conundrum. Many consumers just don't have the luxury of time. Please don't take offense about my testicular fortitude wisecrack. It was general not specifically directed at you.

...[t]his will help me decide whether or not to replace this van with another Sprinter and if I do it wont be at this dealer.

If I were confronted with similar circumstances, and decided to buy another Sprinter at a different stealership, I would be inclined to drive to the dealer I had issue with and let them know why. But that's my obnoxious proclivities.

Bob

Bobnoxious
09-01-2016, 12:36 AM
We got a TSB on the bracket and I found mine broken at 30k I filed warranty on it not sure if it got paid or not but I assume it did.

So, a question remains, does an owner wait for the bracket to fail, or seek a replacement prior to failure? Also, Cvollmar, would you be willing to share TSB number?

Bob

Cvollmar
09-01-2016, 01:19 AM
I just looked it was actually a tip from another tech to the group to check them. Sorry my mistake.