Key question '08 2500

Leeb17

I'm new to the Sprinter and this forum and have read all the great info on this forum. However, I'm still unsure about replacement key for this rig.

I need another key and fob and want know if I buy a used key and fob, or one of "OE" on Ebay, can these be programed to enter and start the vehicle.

Dealer told me a used key/fob would not work since it has already been programed for another vehicle. New from my dealer is ~ $280 plus $90 for programing.

Can't seem to find a locksmith that knows these things. Gilroy/San Jose, CA based.

Love this rig !

Thanks
Lee
'08 2500, 144"

autostaretx

Erratic Member
There are three separate systems involved:
(1) the mechanical key ...
(2) the RFID chip that permits you to *start* the Sprinter (if your locksmith can "clone" the key, that covers this)
(3) the RKE (Remote Key Entry) system ... the fob that unlocks the doors

"Cloning" a key does not require reprogramming the Sprinter (since the new key is both a mechanical and RFID electrical duplicate of one of your existing keys). But that doesn't give you the RKE function.

In the older T1N Sprinters, it was easy to "introduce" a new RKE fob via a sequence of "turn the ignition, push fob buttons" (handy if a key was stolen, since it would remove the stolen key from the "allow operation" group). But it was a dealer reprogramming operation to introduce a new RFID. (the way MB wants you to do it).

Folks have posted that it's the other way around on the 2007 and newer NCV3 Sprinters...
easy to introduce a new "allow to start" RFID key, but a dealer reprogramming to allow a new RKE fob.
..but i don't have an NCV3, so i cannot say for certain.

Folks like S.O.S. diagnostics can reprogram your ECU and SKREEM to accept new keys, but that requires shipping them the modules (thus disabling your Sprinter).

There is a local key-cutter here in Seattle that claims to be able to cut and clone NCV3 keys (but not T1N's, which surprised me)
That still leaves the RKE function unimplemented.

--dick

Last edited:

Leeb17

Dick,

Thanks for the very clear explanation. I will keep looking for locksmith in the Bay Area that can at least clone me a key to start the rig.

Also, I'll be in Seattle area end of this month and will see if I can find the person you mention. Or other that can do it.

Thanks.
Lee

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Also, I'll be in Seattle area end of this month and will see if I can find the person you mention.
(it's located in Seattle's Ballard neighborhood ... on the 2nd floor of 2232 NW Market Street)
Ahhh... found their listing: Ballard Lock & Key, (206) 783-6360

Free parking in a few spaces in the lot behind the building (accessed from NW 56th Street)

--dick

Last edited:

sailquik

Dick,
T1N keys are cut with regular key cutting/key slot milling machines like you find at the local hardware store.
NCV3 keys are cut with lasers and don't have the outer profiles that are found on T1N keys,
Perhaps this key shop only has the laser cutter?
Roger

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Dick,
T1N keys are cut with regular key cutting/key slot milling machines like you find at the local hardware store.
NCV3 keys are cut with lasers and don't have the outer profiles that are found on T1N keys,
Perhaps this key shop only has the laser cutter?
Roger
When i spoke to him a couple of years ago, he was referring to a wall chart of available key blanks. I stared at the chart, too... it did look like an NCV3 profile.
(his shop is located next door to where i sometimes pick up my annual license plate tabs)

Since it's safe to assume that all key shops can carve a T1N key (if they have the blanks, and a certain VW blank works, too), i still can't answer why he didn't have it listed.

The discussion was done quickly, while he was busy on a "real" customer's job.
I didn't see any esoteric cutting equipment lying about, but it could've been elsewhere.

Although MB may use a laser, i would think that a small pattern-following end-milling machine would not have any problem cutting an NCV4 shape out of typical brass keystock... or even steel.

--dick

Last edited:

Top Bottom