PDA

View Full Version : External DEF Tank Heater?

tubbies
06-10-2016, 02:45 PM
My DEF pump and heater have died in my 2010 sprinter (big shock, i know) found a good deal on the pump on ebay, but still cant find the heater for a reasonable price. i was wondering if i could install an external heater (like those on the oil pans for winter months) on to the DEF tank. i could fabricate a thermostatic control to cycle it while driving as needed. would this work?

lindenengineering
06-11-2016, 01:35 AM
In short NO!
The heater is integrated with the DEF control module.
The heater module depending upon your year of Sprinter is about $850 and a complete tank is around $1775.

Price of Sprinter admission I am afraid!
And
MB have a trick up their sleeve with clumsy tank removal! That will bust off the DEF liquid outlet stub.
Then its another $1330!!!!
And JB Weld no workee on 5000 Snr Hector Pascals all trying to get out and make a white mess everywhere!
No free rides I am afraid.
Dennis

Aqua Puttana
06-11-2016, 10:39 AM
... i was wondering if i could install an external heater (like those on the oil pans for winter months) on to the DEF tank. i could fabricate a thermostatic control to cycle it while driving as needed. would this work?
My guess is that your idea combined with a bit of insulation might actually work to get/keep the DEF in liquid phase, but it probably wouldn't keep the emissions monitor computer(s) happy.

So what Dennis said.

Good thinking though. :thumbup:

:cheers: vic

Added.
What if the pad heater were 12 volts and tied into the original heater circuit... :hmmm:

tubbies
06-15-2016, 01:26 PM
my def heater is already toast and the CEL has been on for over a year now. that doesnt bother me at all. i just dont want the crap to freeze in the winter. id really like to do away with the PITA system all together, but apparently our glorious EPA says different...