PDA

View Full Version : Best replacement struts and shocks for 2008 144

Barrelsaver
06-09-2016, 02:11 AM
81000 miles is enough punishment from these original factory equipment struts ant shocks.
I'm looking for some better riding units. Anyone with experience on these?
Thanks in advance!

Aqua Puttana
06-09-2016, 11:58 AM
This has been discussed at length a few times. Search from the blue bar above using Koni.

I'm not implying that Koni is the best or worth the money, but eventually that brand surfaces in most all discussions.

vic

Tuck5000
06-09-2016, 12:13 PM
I would stay away from the Konis...My new koni struts were done with just under 20k..I read about all the hype, and how great they were. Wrong! I just installed new bilstein struts, i do not have many miles on them yet, but i think the ride is better then the new konis were. Bilsteins are a little cheaper aswell...

edfrompa
06-09-2016, 07:02 PM
In the process of installing Bilsteins front and rear....gotta package deal from Europarts SD. Later, decided to replace top mounts. Local Sprinter dealer wanted $105 (plus tax) ea and could get them in a week. Europarts SD shipped pair them 2 day mail for $133. Could get to like that place.
I'm not sure what all the tire, shocks, struts, tire pressure stuff is all about. I hear tire pressure recommendations that go from dangerous to absurd. Same with aftermarket "fixes"
Here's my $0.02:
1. In 2008, I test drove a 2008 Roadtrek RS Adventurous and it was immeasurably more stabable and easy to handle than our old class C on an E-350 chassis (Ford).
2. In 2010, bought same vehicle - used with 29K mi - and was still impressed.
3. Replaced tires with recommended Michelin steel sidewall radials...WOW!! Improvement was amazing.
4. Now, 94K mi, time for new tires, shocks, struts and alignment. Last trip to FL I could really feel the loss of the stability I had grown to trust.

Recommendation: buy a vehicle that handles well for YOUR intended purpose; run the tire pressures posted on the door post or manual; buy the best tire you can get; rotate tires and align regularly (depending on use and miles); replace shock and struts at......ummmm, 60k, or so.

As I said, just my $0.02.