PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake light

Dougs
06-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Hello,
I have a 2016 Sprinter, ordered with the towing package and I wired in a Tekonsha controller under the drivers seat right into the green plug. When I hook up to my trailer everything works great, but my parking/emergency brake light comes on, on the dash board. Does anyone know what could be crossed to cause this?
Thanks,
Doug

Aqua Puttana
06-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Hello,
I have a 2016 Sprinter, ordered with the towing package and I wired in a Tekonsha controller under the drivers seat right into the green plug. When I hook up to my trailer everything works great, but my parking/emergency brake light comes on, on the dash board. Does anyone know what could be crossed to cause this?
Thanks,
Doug
Does the dash light come on immediately, or only when the brake is activated?

If immediately you may have one of the wires crossed.

Did you supply the main 12 volts directly from the battery using a circuit breaker as suggested in most brake controller installation instructions?

vic

Dougs
06-09-2016, 03:26 AM
Hmmm. I replied but I don't see it yet. Anyway, I'll answer again. I am using a Tekonsha P3 controller. I actually used an installation video that was from eTrailers site. It did not call for the separate 12v supply, rather they used was was at the green plug under the seat because the Sprinter came with trailer prep and package. My Sprinter is the same. I also bought the male side of the green connector and wired that in according to the eTrailer video.
I am not sure if it comes on as soon as I plug in. or once I hit the brakes. I will have to hook up tomorrow and figure that out. I know that as soon as I got in my van and hit the brakes to take it out of park, I noticed the light.
The controller does work just fine, do you still think a wire could be crossed?
Thanks,
Doug

Aqua Puttana
06-09-2016, 04:00 AM
The controller does work just fine, do you still think a wire could be crossed?
Thanks,
Doug
:idunno:

Check that your parking brake handle is securely down/released. Check your brake fluid reservoir is up as it should be.

Other than that, go to the last thing done/changed.

Unplug the green connector, connect the trailer, and see what the brake warning light does?

vic

sailquik
06-09-2016, 04:00 AM
Dougs,
My take on this is that using the eTrailer videos as a source of information may have mislead you.
Unplug the green connector ASAP.
Use the MB Sprinter USA/ Daimler Vans USA LLC trailer wiring diagram to wire up your mating green
connector.....NOT ETRAILER .
Here is a link to the latest bulletin.
https://www.upfitterportal.com/en-ca/resources/news
If you need further send me an email and I will dig out the older bulletin with all the wire color codes.
Since your Sprinter was ordered with the trailer wiring and cross member, your warranty should cover having your
nearest authorized MB Sprinter dealer sort out if there is anything wrong with the way the trailer wiring was installed,
UNDER WARRANTY!
Big question here......you put your Tekonsha brake controller in your seat box or under your drivers seat.
How can you manually apply the trailer brakes with the brake controller located where you cannot manually operate
or even see it?
It sounds like something in the brake controller or in the OEM brake controller interface is getting into the E Brake circuit.
Might be good to have that checked out under warranty!
Roger
P.S. Vic, the NCV3's with the factory E40 option code (trailer wiring installed at the factory) and the Q24 or QA2 towing cross members (also installed
at the factory) one only needs to buy the mating connector and pins and build a pigtail harness to connect the aftermarket trailer braked controller
(hopefully one with inertial activation) to the pre wired harness and the trailer brake controller module in the driver's seat box.
The green 4 pin connector is already installed/wired/activated.

downunder
06-09-2016, 04:18 AM
Dougs,
I have the same issue with a 2010 factory towbar set up. No Tekonsha P3 on the Sprinter however.
As soon as I plug in my trailer (which has led lights) an orange light comes up on the dash immediately after pressing the brake pedal.
The light stays on continuously thereafter until the trailer is disconnected.
I put additional resistors into the trailer plug to create a dummy load and it made no difference.
It made a difference with another older 4wd however.
Maybe try a trailer with the older incandescent globes to see if it has the same effect on your dash warning light.

I don't worry about it now (the dash light) as it doesn't seem to affect any towing or trailer lighting aspect.

Dougs
06-09-2016, 10:38 PM
Roger,
Thanks for the information. The link to the UpFitter page worked, but the link for more info wishing the trailer prep info did not work. Do you have a way of getting me that info?
I installed my brake controller in the dashboard mounted center storage bin, it is horizontal as required and out of the way and clean looking as I require, ha.
I am off camping tomorrow, so hopefully I can look at this tonight, other wise I will just run with it this way this time. I am towing a 2016 R-Pod camper with LED lighting, I saw another post regarding LEDs. I can't go changing them on the entire trailer.
Thanks again,
Doug

sailquik
06-10-2016, 08:13 PM
Hi Dougs,
The issue is probably (but not certainly) not the LEDs on the trailer.
My cargo trailer has only LEDs and other than some "afterglow" that dies off in a few minutes, I have no problems with the
LED lights. (Clearance/brake/turn/tail).
I have the original MB Sprinter USA bulletin on installing trailer brake controllers, but it's a .pdf file (with pictures) so I
cannot send it via the Sprinter-source.
Click on sailquik at the top left of this post, then
click on Send email to sailquik
Include a valid return email address and I will send a copy of the .PDF file to your email address.
Include the VIN # for your Sprinter and I'll send you a .PDF of the OEM Build Data Card for your Sprinter.
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. I sent you a PM as well on how to give me the info needed to send you .pdf files.