PDA

View Full Version : Airbag recall-No dealers will do it!!

BobG
06-07-2016, 11:00 PM
I received a passenger side airbag recall last week. It said to call the my dealer to order the part and schedule. I called 2 different Dodge dealers. Both said they don't work on Sprinters anymore and can't get parts. I called the FCA recall center and got cut off twice. Finally talked to someone who put me on hold to call the dealer himself. After about 15 minutes he gave me a dealer about 80 miles away that he said would do it. I called and the service guy didn't even know what a Sprinter was. He asked me to spell it!! After 2 days I got a call back that they didn't work on large trucks. I explained that it was a van but that didn't make any difference they couldn't get Sprinter parts.
I now will call Chrysler corp. tomorrow and try again. Don't any Dodge dealers work on Sprinters anymore??? Since it's a recall don't they have to. I'm sure Mercedes won't do Dodge's recalls.
The driver side recall I received a year ago still doesn't have parts but the passenger side does?

rb3232
06-07-2016, 11:41 PM
I received a passenger side airbag recall last week. It said to call the my dealer to order the part and schedule. I called 2 different Dodge dealers. Both said they don't work on Sprinters anymore and can't get parts. I called the FCA recall center and got cut off twice. Finally talked to someone who put me on hold to call the dealer himself. After about 15 minutes he gave me a dealer about 80 miles away that he said would do it. I called and the service guy didn't even know what a Sprinter was. He asked me to spell it!! After 2 days I got a call back that they didn't work on large trucks. I explained that it was a van but that didn't make any difference they couldn't get Sprinter parts.
I now will call Chrysler corp. tomorrow and try again. Don't any Dodge dealers work on Sprinters anymore??? Since it's a recall don't they have to. I'm sure Mercedes won't do Dodge's recalls.
The driver side recall I received a year ago still doesn't have parts but the passenger side does?

Thanks, please keep us updated.

moondawg14
06-08-2016, 02:30 AM

Dodge, Freightliner or Mercedes should work on any Sprinter... as long as they have trained techs at the dealer. My guess is that Dodge dealerships no longer do, because they withdrew from the Joint Venture that sold Sprinters in the US.

I use a Freightliner dealer 40 miles away, it is the closest for me. I have an MB Sprinter. Find an MB or Freightliner dealer near you with Sprinter techs.

ETA: explained that I have an MB Sprinter.

showkey
06-08-2016, 01:10 PM
The "manufacture" ( Dodge Chrysler) in this case can not legally walk way from recalls...same applies to warranty work as well. A Dodge dealer can not even sell a Dodge vehicle new or used with an uncompleted recall.

Document your experience ........dates, times etc ( better yet get them to send you an email with the lame reasoning ) and make contact with the NHTSA.

As mentioned in other posts.......some manufacture are supplying rental cars until they get parts. There lots are full of used cars waiting for parts before they can sell them. The manufactures are playing dealers to floor plan the cars until parts are available.

Sounds like MB and Dodge need to read the rule book on recalls.

moondawg14
06-08-2016, 05:36 PM
The "manufacture" ( Dodge Chrysler) in this case can not legally walk way from recalls...same applies to warranty work as well. A Dodge dealer can not even sell a Dodge vehicle new or used with an uncompleted recall.

Document your experience ........dates, times etc ( better yet get them to send you an email with the lame reasoning ) and make contact with the NHTSA.

As mentioned in other posts.......some manufacture are supplying rental cars until they get parts. There lots are full of used cars waiting for parts before they can sell them. The manufactures are playing dealers to floor plan the cars until parts are available.

Sounds like MB and Dodge need to read the rule book on recalls.

I got the same recall notice (I think.) Parts are not available yet, according to the notice I got.

if you press the dealer, they might give you a rental until they have parts... or worse, "impound" your Sprinter until they have parts and then give you a non-Sprinter rental.

Rock Doc
06-08-2016, 07:57 PM
The recall notice I got was basically a "yeah, we know it has a problem that we need to fix. Don't call us--we'll call you" kind of a notice. (I have the same notice for my 2005 Durango.)

I suspect what has happened is a terrible conundrum. Takata air bags are in so many vehicles that they cannot possibly get replacement fixed air bags into all the innumerable millions of affected vehicles in anything like a timely manner--let alone continue making updated and safe airbags for ongoing manufacturing. To top that off, it's not a good idea to bankrupt Takata, or NONE of the flawed airbags will be replaced, thus continuing to leave the public at risk. :idunno:

I guess the safest policy is just not to get into a crash... :thinking:

Rock Doc

showkey
06-08-2016, 09:13 PM
Part of the problem Takata is out of the new bag business. They will likely go under and the manufactures will end up baling them out so they can make old bags.......or........the manufactures will buy the tooling and make makes........or........others will step in to make the make bags.
But it's going to take for ever for all this to happen. Some manufactures are handling this way better than others...........and a dealer to say they will not work on a Sprinter is just wrong on so many levels. Dodge and MB and the dealers are still ALL married as far as recalls go.

Manufactures are still responsible.....and....they are left holding the liability BAG.

smiller
06-08-2016, 09:22 PM
Manufactures are still responsible.....and....they are left holding the liability BAG.
And as usual will do nothing until forced to.

pfflyer
06-08-2016, 10:19 PM
I hope this goes better than the GM ignition switch recall. Recall instructed the wife to call the dealer and she was forwarded to a recording asking her to leave her information to get on the list. Month later no call so she wants to just make sure she was on the list. She was forwarded to the same recording. Calls back and wants to talk to a person and gets transferred to someone's voice mail. 2 weeks later no call back or confirmation she is on the list. Calls dealer again gets another recording. Calls GM and later that day gets a call from a human to let her know she is on the list. 2-3 months later our appointment comes up and I get the honor of taking it and waiting on it. All this time the wife is scared to drive the car and when she does uses a single key per the recall notice. When I get the car back the ignition wasn't touched so I ask exactly what was done. I was told a chip was embedded in the key itself and another ring was added to the key ring so that the extra keys would hang lower. Was also told to only have min amount of keys possible on the key chain and nothing else. All that time and hassle for .01 ring and a chip. Bet the chip does nothing but keeps people from complaining about the wait and hassle for the key ring extension.

BobG
06-13-2016, 10:46 PM
I talked to Chrysler (FCA recall center) again today. I told the girl that the dealer they had sent me to said that they didn't work on Sprinters anymore. She asked if I wanted her to call the dealer. I said "why bother, they don't want to work on it and said they couldn't get parts anyway?".
Her excuse for the dealer was that most didn't have mechanics anymore who were qualified to work on Sprinters and since they, Dodge Sprinters, were so old and few that it wasn't worth the cost for dealers to train new mechanics.
I asked if I could wait until I returned to Florida in October and have the dealer there who has done work for me before do it and she said that was OK. I said that I have 2 recalls, one for the driver side and one for the passenger but the parts were only available now for the passenger. She said that was correct and offered to put me on the priority list for when the driver side parts would be available. I don't know what that means but I said OK. Maybe by then all the parts will be there. After all it's only been over a year!!!

Boxster1971
06-14-2016, 12:49 AM
Since you live in Florida you already should have been on the priority list for air bag replacements. It has been confirmed that hot humid environments aggravate the air bag problems. Is your ownership record with Dodge at a Florida address?

BobG
06-14-2016, 10:58 AM
Yes, I'm registered in Florida. We spend 6 months in the winter there and the summer in Virginia.

larrygee
06-15-2016, 12:33 AM
Not sure which recall you are referring to. I just received an airbag recall notice for my 08 - 2500 in the mail. I called the Dodge dealer nearby who ordered the parts. 3 days later, the parts are in. I take the Sprinter in at 8 am, it's done by noon.

The dealer even covered the cost of removing "aftermarket Winnebago parts" that needed to be removed to do the recall repair. Pretty Darn good dealer I'd say....

BobG
06-16-2016, 07:30 PM
You're lucky! In SW Virginia I can't find a Dodge dealer within 100 miles who still will work on Sprinters. Luckily I have a local shop who will work on it if I need something done that I can't or don't want to do. I have one place that does my oil changes for me that allows me to bring in my own oil and filter. He charges me $20 labor. It's worth it to not mess with disposing of the used oil! I get my oil from NAPA when it's on sale so the total cost for my last change was <$100.

bobthebuilder
06-20-2016, 03:45 AM
I have a 2008 'Freightliner' Sprinter. I have had work done by both MB and Freightliner. My service tech at Freightliner has me down for 2 airbags, the passenger side was the first of two notices. He says that MB will be providing the airbags but has no clue when that might happen.

I think you should forget Dodge altogether and find the nearest MB. They will set it up for you but probably can't get airbags either.

kmessinger
07-27-2016, 09:09 PM
I just called my MB dealer who said they showed no recalls for the 2008 Sprinter because it was a Dodge Sprinter. He said Dodge would have to do the work.

moondawg14
07-28-2016, 03:50 PM
I just called my MB dealer who said they showed no recalls for the 2008 Sprinter because it was a Dodge Sprinter. He said Dodge would have to do the work.

Are the interiors in all of the sprinters the same? It's possible that the steering wheel/airbag combo used in the Dodge Sprinters does not use a Takata-supplied airbag.

Still, if the vehicle showed a recall, the MB dealer should be able to perform the work... I think that was the whole point of the combined "Sprinter" brand.

kmessinger
07-28-2016, 04:33 PM
The 2008 Dodge Sprinter and MB Sprinter are exactly the same except for the grill and the logo on the steering wheel. Parts are interchangeable and are labeled MB not Dodge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pfflyer
07-28-2016, 05:50 PM

I would send a message to MB corporate and tell them your problem. I bet they will find an MB dealer to do it if they cant get any Dodge dealers in your area to. I thought the Vin #'s would show up in any MB, Dodge or FL system. Freightliner recognizes my MB vin # at least for parts.

autostaretx
07-28-2016, 10:44 PM
Freightliner recognizes my MB vin # at least for parts.
Freightliner is still wholly-owned by Daimler.

Dodge/Chrysler ain't.

--dick

kmessinger
08-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Update: I had the passenger side airbag done Tuesday at my local Dodge dealer. I went in the week before and was told the driver side didn't even have a part number. The passenger side did but it was on back-order. Parts told me to schedule a service as they couldn't try order it unless I had an appointment. Went to service and they said parts was wrong so we (service and me) went back to parts. Talked to a different guy. "We have that part (passenger side). I just got 19 in last week. Back to service.

So, as always, it really matters whom you speak to.

showkey
08-12-2016, 02:25 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Funny and sad......largest recall in history and the parts guy is clueless ???? There is likely 1000's of vehicles that are going to go through that dealer needing the same part. Some dealers ( other manufactures) are running 24 hours shifts and replacing 100's per day 6 days a week.

Mrdi
09-20-2016, 02:01 PM
Kieth
Where do you stand on the drivers side bag? No part # no change?
My Dodge 2008 has the steering wheel badge changed and was wondering if that badge will be effected in an air bag change?

kmessinger
09-21-2016, 03:34 PM
My local Dodge dealer says there is no part number yet for the driver side. They told me to keep checking back with them. Also the recall notice said the FTC would send me a notice when the parts were in. However, they never sent me a notice about the side that had a good part number.

I don't see how the logo swap would interfere with the airbag change. Did you just pry it out and glue in a new one? That is what I did but I didn't like the way it looked so I ordered a Mercedes part and replaced the "horn cover" or what ever it is.

Mrdi
09-21-2016, 04:17 PM
Thanks Kieth,
Yes I pried the old badge out and put the new MB badge in w/ 2 sided foam tape. It was black aluminum , fit perfectly.
I received both notices , port and starboard, but no follow up.

kmessinger
09-21-2016, 05:04 PM
The passenger side air bag part number is CBXZR262AB.

Ben Carufel
11-10-2016, 08:14 PM
That is what I did but I didn't like the way it looked so I ordered a Mercedes part and replaced the "horn cover" or what ever it is.

Any chance you've got a part number for the "horn cover"?

kmessinger
11-10-2016, 08:45 PM
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/sprinter-airbag is most likely where I got it.

MeRob
11-10-2016, 08:59 PM
At least you're seeing some recall action in the U.S. MB Canada doesn't know when the replacements will be available in Canada. Understandably, there is a 'Hot & Humid' First Priority List. And BC is obviously neither hot nor humid enough to qualify.
The Good News is.. by the time we do qualify for replacements, we'll know if the new replacements work any better than the original defective ones.

I am surprised that they didn't try blaming this defect on 'improper use of DEF' ....Hmmm

Ho-Hum
11-10-2016, 10:13 PM
Got an appointment to get my passenger side done at Freightliner of Tampa - Tampa Truck Center. I, too, question the reliability of the replacement. Oh, well, at least there is some activity.

lockrob
11-10-2016, 10:57 PM
I had same issue here in Miami.
Local Benz Dealer will not work on it at all since its a dodge.
Checked with 2 of the Dodge dealers they wont work on it .Keep saying they don't have any sprinter techs.

showkey
11-11-2016, 12:07 AM
I just a got a letter from Dodge.....saying parts are now available. Please call your local dealer for an appointment.
Have not called my RV is in storage.

Ben Carufel
11-11-2016, 07:23 PM
I just a got a letter from Dodge.....saying parts are now available. Please call your local dealer for an appointment.
Have not called my RV is in storage.

For driver, or passenger side?

smiller
11-11-2016, 07:49 PM
For driver, or passenger side?
For passenger side (on my notice), which confused me. Does the driver's side not need replacing (i.e. original airbag module was from a different manufacturer and is OK), or do they just not have a driver's side replacement available yet???

eeazye
11-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Got my passenger bag replaced at my local Mercedes dealer yesterday. It's a Freightliner, but apparently made no difference. I wasn't very impressed with the service experience, but I guess I must be too old and picky for today's standards. The parts guys there are awesome however!

eeazye
11-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Oh, and they showed me that there is a pending recall for driver's side, but it isn't an official notice yet. Most likely parts are not available

kmessinger
12-01-2016, 04:50 PM
Today I got the second recall for the passenger side airbag done. Yes, there are two. R49 and R26. R49 is the passenger airbag module and R26 is the passenger airbag inflator.

Still no part number for the driver side airbag recall.

bcislander
12-02-2016, 02:23 AM
The local Dodge dealer (not a former Sprinter dealer) performed the passenger air bag recall on my van today.

sajohnson
12-05-2016, 06:32 AM
I just had the passenger side airbag replaced a a local Dodge dealer on Friday (12/2).

I had previously received two recall letters -- neither is dated, but the first one arrived maybe 18 months ago. It said (essentially) that there is a recall on the passenger side air bag, but the parts are not available. Don't call us, we'll call you.

The second letter arrived a couple months ago. It says, (underlined) "Parts to provide a final remedy for your vehicle are now available."

Fool that I am, I assumed that meant that the airbag was actually, you know, available. It tuned out that it depends on what your definition of "available" is...

I called the MB Sprinter dealer first, but they refused to do the recall because our cab-chassis is technically a "Dodge" -- a Dodge that is made entirely in Germany by Daimler-Benz, one that Dodge will no longer service...

Next I called the FCA Recall Info Center (800) 853-1403. Initially they said the airbag was not available, but promised to call me back (they never did).

I called back a few weeks later and was told that our local dealer should be able to order the airbag. They called the dealer and confirmed they could do the job, and then I called the dealer and set up an appointment. That was November 3.

The big day arrived and we got the RV out of the garage and ready to go -- not a huge deal, but not like pulling a car out. There is about 2" clearance on each side of the door.

* I got there right on time.

* It's a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealer, and they also have a Chevy dealership next door. I followed the signs for "Dodge" and ended up behind a building (showroom?), where I was trapped because there were two new Dodge pickups parked side-by-side in the road between there and the shop.

* Luckily, there was a parking space large enough for the View -- otherwise I would have had to back all the way out. I backed into the space and walked to the building. It was locked, nobody home. Strange for 3 pm on a Friday.

* I walked over to the shop and told the lady at the counter my name and why I was there. She looked at me like I had 2 heads. Then she said I needed to talk to the guy beside her, who was busy with an elderly couple.

* After a few minutes, she got his attention and told him what I was there for. I waited while the customer explained something about his dash lights -- over and over again.

* When I got to talk with the guy I mentioned the recall, and he acted like I was speaking Russian. First it seemed like he couldn't find the appointment. Then he said that they couldn't complete the job before they close! The time then was 3:10-3:15 pm.

* He claimed it was going to take every bit of 2 hours, that they should not have scheduled it for 3 pm, that they've never replaced an air bag in a Sprinter before, and airbags are scary, etc. I didn't say anything, but I was thinking that all sounded like internal dealership issues that I have no control over.

* He said again that he wasn't sure if the tech could get it done before 5 pm, and asked if I wanted to come back another day! At that point I was getting aggravated and I told him that no, I did not want to come back, the job had been scheduled for a month, and they had better get it done that day because I had to drive it home. I did say I didn't mind waiting for as long as the job took -- they didn't have to rush on my account.

* He said he'd write it up, but he didn't know what was going to happen.

* We walked out to where I had parked the View and he said, "Oh, I don't think we can fit that in the shop!". He asked how tall it was and I told him (about 11'). I also told him that I had mentioned to the person who scheduled the appointment that it was an RV and they said it was fine -- that they had some extra-large bays for bucket trucks, etc.

* He got the VIN and the mileage and walked back to the shop and I drove the View back around the way I came in, the opposite direction that the "Dodge" arrow was pointed in.

* I went to the waiting room and he drove the View back to the shop.

* The TV in the waiting room was tuned to a channel that was discussing news stories in a way that was designed to get people riled up -- make them angry so they'll watch more. There was some story about a road rage incident in which one guy shot the other. The woman next to me kept talking to herself very loudly, making comments about the story -- like she wanted to start a conversation with someone there in the waiting room. I ignored her. Then there was an interview with a female rapper on who looked a bit masculine. The woman beside me said, "That's a woman?!", loud enough for everyone in the room to hear. The she looked her up on Google and announced, "Yep, she's a woman!" Then Judge Judy was on and she commented loudly on that... That went on for a while -- until her car was ready.

* At 4:50 pm the service writer came in and said the View was ready. It didn't take as long as he thought, so that was cool, but what a messed up experience.

* It was obvious from the beginning that they did not want to do the job. He even told me that Dodge was only going to pay them 1.8 hours, which he said meant that it would probably take longer, because Dodge (and just about all auto mfrs) usually screws the dealers on recalls and warranty repairs. So he showed his hand there. The interesting thing is that the people I spoke with when I scheduled the appointment were fine -- they didn't try to talk me out of it in any way.

I'm just glad it's done. My wife and I weren't worried about it too much, but better safe than sorry. It's a very small percentage of the Takata airbags that have failed (and zero in MB vehicles), but when they do explode it can be very ugly.

Oh, when I was leaving the tech and the service writer were discussing how stupid and pointless the recall is. The tech said, "How do they know the shrapnel is metal from the airbag? It could be other parts of the dash." I bit my tongue. If it was "other parts of the dash" it would happen just about every time an airbag deployed! The mfr, Takata, admits that when the propellant gets damp it tends to explode rather than have a controlled, fast burn. No one is claiming that the metal fragments come from anywhere other than the airbag canister! Airbags are always mounted behind something soft that will give way when the bag expands. They don't mount them behind steel parts that might become shrapnel! Unfortunately, I think he was the tech who replaced our airbag.

Suffice it to say that I was less than impressed.

Now, because of how reluctant they were to do the recall, and their attitude about whether it's necessary, I'm wondering if they actually replaced the airbag. As far as I know, there's no way to tell -- other than opening up the dash.

avanti
12-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Now, because of how reluctant they were to do the recall, and their attitude about whether it's necessary, I'm wondering if they actually replaced the airbag. As far as I know, there's no way to tell -- other than opening up the dash.

I once owned a very exotic, low-production Audi. There was a recall involving replacing the entire front brake/rotor assembly. My sad story would be at least as long as yours (and even more outrageous) -- I will spare the group the details. However, after a very long time I was eventually told that the recall was completed. A year and a half later, I discovered that (a) they did NOT do the recall, but simply replaced the brakes and rotors with the same defective setup and (b) the recall kit was no longer available from Audi. Other than a short extension of warranty on the brake pads, Audi wouldn't do a damn thing about it. So much for my patronage of VW/Porsche/Audi. I wouldn't let them get away with such an outrage these days, but back then I was young and stupid.

Moral of the story: Open up your dash. At the very least, request a report showing the serial number of the old and new airbags.

showkey
12-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Many terms are being thrown around:

Recalls for safety issues is one thing.......they go on for ever ( no end). Manufactures are not allowed to end, stop or discontinue recalls and parts must be available or the manufacture must have a repurchase program. Repurchase was a common solution to severe safety related rust issues back in the early 80's for several manufactures.

Product updates, service parts campaign, warranty extensions, goodwill programs have start and end dates and they can expire.

avanti
12-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Many terms are being thrown around:

Recalls for safety issues is one thing.......they go on for ever ( no end). Manufactures are not allowed to end, stop or discontinue recalls and parts must be available or the manufacture must have a repurchase program. Repurchase was a common solution to severe safety related rust issues back in the early 80's for several manufactures.

Nonetheless, the story I reported involved a RECALL, and Audi did choose to blow it off. This was in the 1990s and on a low-production (some would almost say "experimental") vehicle. The situation was basically a train wreck (involving, among other things, actual dealer fraud). I believe they made a cynical business decision. I fully realize that had I pursued it aggressively enough, I would have prevailed. But, as I said, I was young and inexperienced and very busy at the time. And, I didn't yet appreciate the value of spec lawyers.

sajohnson
12-05-2016, 09:44 PM
I once owned a very exotic, low-production Audi. There was a recall involving replacing the entire front brake/rotor assembly. My sad story would be at least as long as yours (and even more outrageous) -- I will spare the group the details. However, after a very long time I was eventually told that the recall was completed. A year and a half later, I discovered that (a) they did NOT do the recall, but simply replaced the brakes and rotors with the same defective setup and (b) the recall kit was no longer available from Audi. Other than a short extension of warranty on the brake pads, Audi wouldn't do a damn thing about it. So much for my patronage of VW/Porsche/Audi. I wouldn't let them get away with such an outrage these days, but back then I was young and stupid.

Moral of the story: Open up your dash. At the very least, request a report showing the serial number of the old and new airbags.

Good suggestion Avanti, thank you.

PS: This may not be the place for it, but I'd be happy to hear more about what happened with your car and the crooked Audi dealer. It is important for people to be made aware of experiences like that. Too many folks seem to think that if you want a job done right, you go to the dealer. While that is often true, it's far from being a hard and fast rule -- especially when it comes to recalls and warranty repairs. The dealers are almost always paid less than their usual rate (and/or the time is reduced) by the mfr, which means they often have a poor attitude and the customer gets stuck in the middle. It's worse with RVs.

sprinternewbie
02-03-2017, 05:05 PM
We are getting our Sprinter-based motor home ready for this year's travel and one of the items on our list was to deal with the passenger side airbag recall we received on our 2008 Dodge Sprinter. Our local Dodge dealer (40 miles away) said they were no longer "certified" to work on Sprinters. Our local Mercedes dealer (also 40 miles away) said they were not "authorized" to work on our "Dodge" Sprinter. In fact the recall didn't even show up in their MB system. I found a Dodge dealer 100 miles away that was able to order the part and perform the work. Got that work done this week. I have not received a recall for the driver's side airbag.

vnvet
02-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Dodge, Freightliner or Mercedes should work on any Sprinter... as long as they have trained techs at the dealer. My guess is that Dodge dealerships no longer do, because they withdrew from the Joint Venture that sold Sprinters in the US.

I use a Freightliner dealer 40 miles away, it is the closest for me. I have an MB Sprinter. Find an MB or Freightliner dealer near you with Sprinter techs.

ETA: explained that I have an MB Sprinter.

"SHOULD" is the operative word. I was looking forward to the local dealer here after I bought my MB but they said they are no longer authorized Sprinter folks so now I either go north 40 miles or south 60 miles. And Dodge no longer making them either. Not sure if that's typical with all other Freightliner folks.

sajohnson
02-04-2017, 09:06 PM
We are getting our Sprinter-based motor home ready for this year's travel and one of the items on our list was to deal with the passenger side airbag recall we received on our 2008 Dodge Sprinter. Our local Dodge dealer (40 miles away) said they were no longer "certified" to work on Sprinters. Our local Mercedes dealer (also 40 miles away) said they were not "authorized" to work on our "Dodge" Sprinter. In fact the recall didn't even show up in their MB system. I found a Dodge dealer 100 miles away that was able to order the part and perform the work. Got that work done this week. I have not received a recall for the driver's side airbag.

See my post (#39) above.

It seems obvious that very few dealers want to perform this recall.

From what I can tell, "Dodge" Sprinters do have to go to a Dodge dealer to have the work done. The two (2) recall letters we received were from FCA (not MB). Any Dodge dealer should be able to do the work -- they just make up excuses as to why they can't.

It did seem as though calling FCA's "Recall Info Center" (800)853-1403 greased the skids a bit. Before I got them involved, the dealer closest to us kept saying the air bags were back ordered, but it looked like [some other dealer] might have one.

IOW, "Go away kid, ya bother me!"

After I contacted FCA, the dealer was suddenly able to locate an air bag.

What you were told by the MB dealer is lame, but apparently true. When I called them about something unrelated they said our cab-chassis had an outstanding recall for the EGR. Actually, the previous owner had the recall done years earlier, but those crazy kids (MB and Chrysler) weren't/aren't talking, so MB was unaware the recall had been completed. There is a sticker under the hood saying it was done in 2009 IIRC, and FCA has a record of it.

showkey
02-04-2017, 11:45 PM
^^^^^^^^^^The above post nails it...........Dodge ( FCA) is responsible and if you get the ....run a round.....call Dodge and make a complaint to the NHTSA. Refusing to do a recall is a BIG problem for both the dealer and the manufacturer. If you asked for an Oil change and they did not complete a recall will your there ...........they are in deep dodo. Other manufactures are offering specials and customer incentives to get these car and trucks in for the air bag recall.

sajohnson
02-05-2017, 01:24 AM
^^^^^^^^^^The above post nails it...........Dodge ( FCA) is responsible and if you get the ....run a round.....call Dodge and make a complaint to the NHTSA. Refusing to do a recall is a BIG problem for both the dealer and the manufacturer. If you asked for an Oil change and they did not complete a recall will your there ...........they are in deep dodo. Other manufactures are offering specials and customer incentives to get these car and trucks in for the air bag recall.

Isn't strange that some dealers are blowing off customers and all but refusing to do the recall work, and others are offering incentives to get Sprinter owners to come in and get the work done??

My only guess is that maybe the dealers with a better attitude a) don't have much business, or b) they figure they can make extra money by spotting other work that needs to be done.

BRANCALEONE
02-05-2017, 06:01 AM
For those who leaving in Seattle Tacoma, RAINIER DODGE in OLYMPIA will take care the Air bag recall .:smilewink:
Good luck guys

sprinternewbie
02-06-2017, 03:25 PM
For those of you in the Albuquerque, NM area, Larry H. Miller Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram will do the air bag recall on "Dodge" Sprinters. They did the passenger side airbag recall on mine.

JohnY
05-26-2017, 02:31 AM
In Washington, DC area Safford Dodge will do the recall. They have replaced the driver and passenger side airbags in my 2008 2500 Dodge Sprinter.