PDA

View Full Version : Oil and a little bird!

lindenengineering
06-04-2016, 02:52 AM
For those of you skeptical of 229,52 for your Oilen Motoren OM 642, may I just state that a fairly well known large operator in Colorado who puts MILES on their fleet has been testing a Valvoline product .

So far they have wrecked 25 engines!
Really confirms you really will have a short lived "wun tyme wunder" on your hands if you don't use the recommended oil! Yes 229.52.

A bit like some arrogant lube tech I spoke to on the phone one past Saturday in Chicago who said --All diesel engines get Delo FFS !:rolleyes:
Every diesel engine gets effing Delo --I don't give crap about stupid arsed MB engines and their owners they get Delo too!
They all get Delo!--- OK :bounce:Klick!:lol:
Dennis
Mechanic

sunnyside
06-04-2016, 02:57 AM
Pray Tell. VV966?

Tooth Fairy
06-04-2016, 07:00 AM
Pray Tell. VV966?

Its like feeding seagulls, Dennis will tell all in good time, patience Grasshopper, patience. :bounce:

showkey
06-04-2016, 01:28 PM
DELO is a Chevron product ?

http://www.deloperformance.com/products/engine-oils.aspx

06-04-2016, 01:54 PM
I've recently switched to Valvoline SynPower 5W30 which does carry the MB 229.31/229.51 approval. In my manual the 4cyl calls for the 229.51 Best of all its 1/2 cost of the Mobil 1.

The_Grizz
06-04-2016, 10:55 PM
I can't get Mobil around me for less than $12 a quart, and have to order. Advance stocks Valvoline MST 5-40 with the MB 229.51 approval for $9.19 a quart. Dodge dealership carries a Penzoil or Quaker State product that also has the 229.51 approval. Not sure of the quart cost on it off hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Düsseldorfer
06-05-2016, 01:55 AM
Dennis, great info as always, thanks!

This thread made me realize I hadn't checked to see if 229.51 oil was on sale anywhere this month... and sure enough, it is (http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?p=463249)!

Happy Sprintering!

D

sleeper bird
06-05-2016, 10:58 AM
I've recently switched to Valvoline SynPower 5W30 which does carry the MB 229.31/229.51 approval. In my manual the 4cyl calls for the 229.51 Best of all its 1/2 cost of the Mobil 1.

thats what i used on my last oil change,an 08

Eric Experience
06-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Dennis.
Your story is very common. The nice man at the service desk will tell you what you want to hear but the monkey out the back puts in whatever he has in bulk. That is the reason I keep telling people to do there own servicing. In Australia this problem is so common that Toyota supply a product called Toyota oil. It gets put in every hole you pour oil in. The oil is OK for all applications but not ideal for any. Many European cars have died as a result of the use of this oil and the stupid mechanics just say "You should drive a Toyota" Eric.

lindenengineering
06-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Eric
Yes, yes, and yes!:lol:
Had one similar the other week!

A 2012 Sprinter in the shop with DEF issues.
I asked the owner (out of curiosity) what was this odd looking litre bottle of oil in the map pocket for?
He replied Oh that was a spare from the oil when it got changed up in Aspen at a tyre store!
They changed the tyres and serviced the van while we were skiing.

On the gold label in red was Synthetic Oil for Diesel Engines!
Presumably there is one for Petrol engines too! :thinking:

Out of curiosity I called the tyre shop --that's all they use--Comes from a parts store in town.
I call the parts store--Oh the boss buys it in bulk from some place --Dunno where it comes from!---- I just work here--I don't ask questions!
Crikey

We pulled the oil filter out!
Wrong one all crushed up!:laughing:
I explained to the owner what was the concern about the oil and filter!

The bloke just didn't seem to get the concern but approved a change out!
At least he liked the ASSYST re-set and no spanner indications!
Life is good. so is universal oil!!:lol:
Cheers Mate
Dennis

Aqua Puttana
06-06-2016, 02:47 PM

So far they have wrecked 25 engines!
Dennis
Mechanic
Let me get this straight...

1st engine failure.

Well, boss I told ya' we needed Ford diesels.

2nd engine failure.

A Duramax would last longer.

3rd engine failure.

Boss. F'n Bill just beats the **** out of his trucks. We all know that.

4th engine failure.

Boss. Bill did it again.

25th failure.

I've been thinkin'... maybe we should send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. :hmmm:

At what point do they start looking for a common link to the failures? I would expect at least somewhere after failure #10. :rolleyes:

What were the failure modes? Plugged DPF. Spun bearings? Seized?

:cheers: vic

lindenengineering
06-07-2016, 02:22 AM
Well maybe the test oil they have been using isn't up to scratch; basically not MB Appelacion controlee!:laughing:

Actually this morning I has a mirthful tongue in cheek smile on my face when I posted a note to Eric Down Under!

Referring to our pretentious Sprinter owner who only ski Aspen! Staying at the Little Nell!
They didn't seem too fussed about a house label synthetic oil that was of dubious appelacion controlle!

Kinds of reminds me of a past wife who was the hotel lodging and banqueting executive for a very famous hotel chain. Always the lady to turn good profits in excess of 40% for her employers, Grad from Denver U.
Doing a function for a group of NY attorneys all seemed to arrive in E Class MB cars!

The wine list was past around and bottles ordered of the very best Napa and Sonoma Valley vintages at $25/bottle minimum. Except the content wasn't of Californian source! More like the liquid bit was Yellow Tail from Australia at $2,30 a litre!:lol: Definitely not appelacion controlee!:hmmm:
Ah well perception is everything and the hotel and restaurant business makes us in the MV repair business to be virtual saints.
Remedy?
Join a dining club.:thumbup:
Dennis
Mechanic (and sometimes apprentice gourmet cook!)