Random cable in rear upper channel?

Arnie_Oli

So I am busy refitting our van and found this wire near the top right corner of the rear door in the upper channel in the sidewall. It looks like a factory wire and it is an earth and two positive wires. Does anyone know where it goes to or what it is fused from?

Photos are attached

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
That is the cabin light connector. The mounting location for the light is the oval-ish cuttout in the background of your picture.

Arnie_Oli

Oh so is for the rear cabin? Mine is an ex service vehicle so didn't have the factory rear lighting.

Is this switched off the rear door and side door?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The lights have an integral switch which can be set to on/off/door. As far as I know only the slider door has a switch.

psychoboy

05&06 Dodge Longs & Talls
my 05 and 06 will turn on all the cargo area lights when any of the cargo doors are open.

Arnie_Oli

Thanks that makes sense now. Couldn't figure why it had two apparently live wires and the ground

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk whilst I am probably working and covered in dust or dirt

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You didn't tell us the colors of the wires.
If one is Brown with a White stripe, then it's not really a "+12v" wire.. it's the wire which will be pulled to ground when a door is opened by the door jamb switches.

It only tests "+12v" due to current leakage through the light bulbs to the true +12v line: Red with a Yellow stripe (visible in the photos).

--dick

Arnie_Oli

When I was working with the doors opened I just stuck the Fluke probes in when gave live connections on two cables and ground on another. Of course the door was open as ones working :)

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk whilst I am probably working and covered in dust or dirt

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The wiring diagrams for the interior lighting is section 8w-47 of the service manual.
You can download the 2003 and 2006 manual for free from http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

The 2006 version also shows the optional "lights dim gradually" circuitry, which your plug doesn't have.

--dick

Arnie_Oli

Yeah, I know a bit late, but I found this page: http://www.mercedes.gen.in/cargo-ar...-from-sprinter-cab-dome-light-models-to-2006/ I'm just adding it as reference for anyone else who stumbles on the thread.

I've panelled the rear of the van now, but want to put in cabinet lights that switch on and off with the door latches for night time. I already have roof lights in but they are switched differently and off the leisure/house battery.

Would you guys happen to know which style lamp unit connects to this connector? Will A9738200201 work?

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Would you guys happen to know which style lamp unit connects to this connector? Will A9738200201 work?
My catalogs list that as the front (over the driver) dome light (Dodge # 05133561AA)

My catalogs show dodge: 05104459AA mb: A9018200101 as the cargo area ceiling lights.

(on my 2005 Passenger van, the ceiling lights are apparently Dodge: ZF50 RC3AA, MB: A6388200310.
The passenger lights clip through the fabric ceiling to a hidden bracket)

--dick
parts catalogs, service manual and MB/Dodge number conversions available from http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

Arnie_Oli

thank you! Sorry would have replied sooner but I didn't get the notification that you'd relied.

Tapatalk is useless as a forum application and it seems the odd email from the board doesn't get to me sometimes.

Top Bottom