Am I missing my 4-Low button?

Designer99

We finally got our 4x4 out on some steep jeep trails and I'm pretty impressed with the capability of this big boxy van. On the descent I thought about trying the hill descent control... only to find that I don't seem to have the prerequisite 4-low button.

Am I missing the button? Or is 4-low engaged with the hill descent automatically? :idunno:

Attachments

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
The 4 low button looks like a wedge or a triangle with the vertical part missing, so yes you are missing it.

Email sailquik (Roger) your VIN number he will send you the build card from MB for free, very helpful is Roger. :thumbup:

Designer99

I checked our purchase order, and we did at least order the low range:

X30 Low & High Range 4x4 Package $6,800
ZH4 Downhill Speed Regulation for 4x4 $50

Thanks for the suggestion about the build card. I emailed Roger.

sailquik

Craig/All,
According to the OEM Build Data Card, your Sprinter was built with the
ZG3 Option
"ZG3 ENGAGEABLE ALL-WHEEL DRIVE WITH GEAR REDUCTION"
Might want to check with the dealer who sold you the Sprinter and have them contact
Daimler Vans LLC engineering or the factory in Germany to determine why you do not have the button to
shift from high to low range.
This is the first time I've come across the ZH4 Downhill Speed Regulation for 4x4 Option code so perhaps
the lack of the high low shift button is somehow involved in the downhill speed regulation package?
Actually the "ZH4" package is listed on the data card as "OFF-ROAD OPERATION".
Whatever that means.
Hope this helps,
Roger

sailquik

Guys,
I think the answer here might be in the label on the button DSR (Downhill Speed Regulation).
It's basically a semantics/labeling issue.
The Data Card suggests that the "ZH4" package is actually "OFF-ROAD OPERATION".
Perhaps the button should read ORO (Off Road Operation) where you would normally
want/need the low range features, both the gear reduction and the Downhill Speed Regulation.
I suspect that when you shift to DSR, it drops you into low range, locks up the center differential
at the transfer case and does some wheel speed sensor/traction control magic to limit all 4 wheels
to the same speed to the degree possible without locking front and rear differentials.
Tooth Fairy, No, they are probably both the same....You are not wrong.....MB just calls anything with a high/low range
the ZG3, but the functions and mechanisms may be different between the USA and AUS.
Hope this helps,
Roger

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
The hill decent button is the low range button, shift to 4wd then place gearbox in neutral and press the hill decent button. the cluster will illuminate the 4lo light.

Carl

Top Bottom