PDA

View Full Version : Slim Jim Protection?

djsincla
05-30-2016, 06:33 AM
Friends Sprinter was opened up today by thieves. Assuming a slim jim in the front door as there are no broken windows and van was locked. Is there a hardware solution that will protect against doors being opened via slim jim or other means? The alarm did sound which attracted attention of friends.

showkey
05-30-2016, 12:01 PM
Problem is only nice conscientious thieves use slim jims........if they don't work a brick will.

Aqua Puttana
05-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Problem is only nice conscientious thieves use slim jims........if they don't work a brick will.
I agree. That, and possessing burglary tools is something most crooks want to avoid. Conviction is tougher without evidence. Unfortunately you may get your stuff back based upon a description, but without specific serial numbers or identifying marks on your stuff a conviction is unlikely. Rocks are easy to find.

vic

lindenengineering
05-30-2016, 02:05 PM
Most cars are easy to get into if you know their weak points and they are in fact build in for us Tech types to open them "legitimate like".
I have small tool (made in the Lebanon) that goes into the door lock and in two full turns will "know the lock" and unlock the car. Just like your key

The Slim Jim is last century idea. The world has moved on!

Here's something funny--Most Americans think Arabs are stupid--far from it!
When I worked in Baghdad for six or so years a friends had so many Toyota Corollas stolen his boss told him to buy the best anti theft loaded Toyota in Kuwait--He did so!!

Upon arriving back with the new ride he was showing it off outside the British Club!

Don't ask me how but with all the guys climbing into it the door auto locked with the engine running. We dropped the beers and statred looking for a coat hanger!
While we were fiddling along stroll this Iraq in a white jallabeha.
Sayartik?--- your car --eh nam-- yes--
A quick glance --maku mushkele---No problem, and his home made lock pick opened the door in about 20 seconds!

The alarm went off he lifted the hood and instantly knew which wire to disconnect to disable the alarm. After recycling the key a re-connect and all was fine!
The latest and greatest alarm defeated in about a minute!:lol:

All we had to do is give him some "backsheesh" for the trouble!
I commented that bloke is probably the villain nicking all those cars of yours!:lol:
Cheers Dennis

MercedesGenIn
05-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Ford quickly modified their Airbag deployment system of the early UK Mondeo - Twas known in the twilight circles that if you bashed the steering rack in a 'certain place' (well known by the few) with a hammer the bags would deploy and all locks would open - Voila! Who needed a key to get in, though starting and driving it would be a different story.

It would be interesting to know that if a Slim Jim hooked the bowden cable from the door lever to the latch, if a strong pull would actually open the latch, (as there is no pop-up lock button to speak of - that is usually the requirement of the Slim Jim to 'pop' the locks) I don't really know, never tried or looked at the mechanism closely enough.

djsincla
05-30-2016, 06:09 PM
Seriously, not really interested in everyones break in prowess given that I'm pretty good with a tire iron myself...

I'm asking if there are commercial products that will upgrade external door security either by adding a plate to help defeat slimjims, and/or update door handles/locks to defeat picking. I would be happy to remove the external locks if this is possible.

The two guys who got into my buddies sprinter yesterday did not break windows given the public location of the vehicle. They were both dressed as mechanics.

I am sure FBI stake out vans have better unobtrusive lock security than stock?

- D

hayduke
05-30-2016, 07:11 PM
There are various locks available that I have seen on those monster german expedition trucks headed for south america .They are similar to what you would use to lock a shed with a hasp and carriage bolts

Aqua Puttana
05-31-2016, 09:55 AM
Seriously, not really interested in everyones break in prowess given that I'm pretty good with a tire iron myself...

I'm asking if there are commercial products that will upgrade external door security either by adding a plate to help defeat slimjims, and/or update door handles/locks to defeat picking. I would be happy to remove the external locks if this is possible.

- D
:hmmm:

That explains things a bit better than your original question which I read as you being concerned about slim jim use only. There are many varieties of external locks and protection plates which have been discussed in other threads.

A search from the blue bar above should find them.

vic