PDA

View Full Version : Dead on roadside. p2610 And U0101 on scangauge

Bigscore
05-27-2016, 11:57 PM
I'm looking for some help. I'm DOA on the road side. We were pulling or travel trailer and had to brake hard (also have electric trailer brakes hardwired to the battery) when on acceleration after the stop it went into some kind of limp mode and would shift from first gear. I got several dash lights, manual says the combo means the EBV has malfunctioned and it's due to undervoltage.

Could it be the batter is dead?

smiller
05-28-2016, 12:26 AM
I would disconnect the brake controller from the electrical system and also carefully inspect the brake controller wiring for any shorts.

Bigscore
05-28-2016, 02:11 AM
Disconnected the controller completely and still dead. Pulled battery connections and waited long enough for a reset. Still dead. Just sent it to a Frieghtliner repair shop on a roll back. I'm at a complete loss.

smiller
05-28-2016, 02:22 AM
Well that sucks. :frown: But at least you have a shop on it now, please post back when you find the cause.

Aqua Puttana
05-28-2016, 02:44 AM
After some research using the code with Mercedes...

Generic DTC

DTC P2610: ECM/PCM Internal Power Off Timer Performance Problem

Possible Causes
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) SOFTWARE UPDATE
EXCESSIVE RESISTANCE IN THE PCM POWER OR GROUND CIRCUITS
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

That code didn't cause engine shutdown or lack of start. The MIL aka CEL cleared by itself eventually.

"U" codes are related to communication between modules. The U0101 is a generic OBDII code. Most likely a communication issue is your biggest problem.

That said, codes revealed for Sprinters by a generic OBDII tool (ScangaugeII is generic) are sometimes incomplete, and can even be misleading.

Good luck.

vic

showkey
05-28-2016, 02:54 AM
Just a wild guess.........or first things to look at :idunno:

Y cable problem...................
Battery taking a crap............
Ground cable problem...........
Alternator taking a crap.........

Scan gauge monitoring voltage might have given a warning of a start of a problem ????????

Bigscore
05-28-2016, 02:56 AM
I am hoping that the shop is able to diagnose the issue over the weekend. I have to assume this issue has to be somehow related to the hard braking just before the issue, I had reached down and grabbed the button to make the trailer brake harder and then we lost power both in the sense that the van went into some kind of limp mode and we lost power to all the accessories in the back of the van.

Thank you for the words of advice. I'll keep the forum posted with updates as I have them.

Bigscore
05-28-2016, 03:02 AM
Just a wild guess.........or first things to look at :idunno:

Y cable problem...................
Battery taking a crap............
Ground cable problem...........
Alternator taking a crap.........

Scan gauge monitoring voltage might have given a warning of a start of a problem ????????

I checked the grounds and all looked solid. Batteries are both new(10 months) replaced by the local Sprinter dealer and switching from the main battery to the auxiliary didn't resolve the issue.

Maybe the alternator but both batteries tested out in the 12+ volts after the issue started.

I'm starting to thing that there was a major voltage drop caused by the brake controller/trailer brakes and the computer freaked out(technical term I know) and went into a safety mode. Kind of kicking myself for turning the van off before being sure the travel trailer was close enough to the power outlet at the church we are now boondocking at right now.

Bigscore
05-28-2016, 03:04 AM
I had the Scan Gauge monitoring LOD, engine temp, GPH and mph at the time. So I didn't see any jumps or drops in voltage...sadly because I wasn't watching it.

Bigscore
05-29-2016, 07:41 PM
I should add that upon further scanning the forum it looks like my issue is not a new one. Well at least partly. I am finding multiple post about the same combination of warming lights I have, my dash is lit up with the yellow ESP, ABS, ASR/BAS warning lights indicating a EBV malfunction. Does that ring any bells for anyone?

Bigscore
05-29-2016, 07:55 PM
I'm updating from an earlier thread, I was towing a travel trailer and have electric brakes on trailer with a controller (hard wired as this van didn't have the factory harness). After a hard stop it went into a limp mode and wouldn't come out of first gear. When I shut it down thinking it would reset on restart I don't even get a crank or a click.

I've checked al the batteries and I'm at 12.8(ish) volts and have good connections everywhere I can find. No blown fuses.

I disconnected the trailer, no effect.

I cut the brake controller wires disconnecting it from the van, no effect.

I reading several threads about a rear wheel speed sensor. Does anyone know if that would cause my issues?

I've had the sprinter towed to the Meecedes Dealer/Authorized Sprinter service center in Mobile Alamaba and am waiting for them to check it Monday or Tuesday.

Anyone else had this problem???

sailquik
05-29-2016, 07:59 PM
Bigscore,
Are you driving an RV or a Cargo/Passenger Sprinter?
Was your trailer wiring/cross member towing package the OEM factory install or something from the aftermarket?
Was your trailer brake controller installed using the "green connector" in the driver's seat box or some other way.
It may be that when you hit the manual brake override, you blew some fuses or fried some wiring associated with
the Sprinter's braking system.
Which electronic trailer brake controller are you using?
Does it have a auto reset circuit breaker, or are you using the Sprinters electrical overload circuitry?
Have you re-adjusted the brake light switch?
Hope this helps,
Roger

NelsonSprinter
05-29-2016, 08:49 PM
A stuck brake switch above brake pedal might .
Sometimes just disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and reconnecting can reset electrical problems .
A blown fuse or relay could as well . best of luck

Bigscore
05-30-2016, 12:06 AM
Bigscore,
Are you driving an RV or a Cargo/Passenger Sprinter?
Was your trailer wiring/cross member towing package the OEM factory install or something from the aftermarket?
Was your trailer brake controller installed using the "green connector" in the driver's seat box or some other way.
It may be that when you hit the manual brake override, you blew some fuses or fried some wiring associated with
the Sprinter's braking system.
Which electronic trailer brake controller are you using?
Does it have a auto reset circuit breaker, or are you using the Sprinters electrical overload circuitry?
Have you re-adjusted the brake light switch?
Hope this helps,
Roger

Go Roger,

It's a passenger van conversion. This one didn't have the factory wiring harness for the brake controller, as well it didn't come with the factory tow package. So there wasn't a green wire, assuming you are referring to the factory connection for a brake controller. The trailer dealer used a husky brake controller and hardwired it to the battery and used another wired and converter to run 12v to the trailer. When they initially wired the controller I was loosing the rear turn signal lamps due to the computer seeing a voltage spike so that's why they ran 12v directly to the trailer connection and used a special box to pick up the signals for turn signals, lights and so at the trailer. I didn't see a reset button on it anywhere. And I checked every fuse I could find related to brakes, trailer, antiskid, antilock brake, and so on. The strange thing was we also lost power to the accessories in the rear of the van, no lights or TV or power inverter.
I'm guessing I fried something on the chassis side verses the aftermarket side of the van. I assume that because it wouldn't allow the transmission to shift from first gear and something internal is blocking the van from starting(won't click or begin to crank). We still have power to the power sliding door and the wheelchair lift thankfully.

smiller
05-30-2016, 12:33 AM
I think you might find that some aftermarket wiring of one thing or another was ran in a poor way or was insufficiently protected and has shorted.

Bigscore
05-30-2016, 12:54 AM
I think you might find that some aftermarket wiring of one thing or another was ran in a poor way or was insufficiently protected and has shorted.

That is very possible. What ever it is its got me stumped. I even cut the wires to the brake controller and had no change in the status of the van. Guess I'll find out over the next few days when the service center gets to it.

sailquik
05-30-2016, 01:36 AM
Bigscore,
If It's a T1N, have you checked the fuse able links that connect everything at the positive battery terminal?
The short in the trailer brake or trailer system may have take one or more of them out.
Your wheelchair lift and power door are probably powered from somewhere without the fusible link.
Good luck!
Having been stuck out on the road a few times (not in Sprinters) I know how badly being stuck can be!
Roger
Roger

Bigscore
05-31-2016, 10:13 PM
Bigscore,
If It's a T1N, have you checked the fuse able links that connect everything at the positive battery terminal?
The short in the trailer brake or trailer system may have take one or more of them out.
Your wheelchair lift and power door are probably powered from somewhere without the fusible link.
Good luck!
Having been stuck out on the road a few times (not in Sprinters) I know how badly being stuck can be!
Roger
Roger

Thanks Roger,

It's a 2010 model. But I did check the fuse block by the battery and didn't find any faults there. And traced what inline fuses I could find. I'm sure I missed something unless it's a more complicated problem than I thing it is.

Oh and insult to injury, service rep called me to let me know that the roll back tow truck lost control of the van and let it roll back in to an employees vehicle. My damage is minimal but the van rolled about 20 feet into a jeep Cherokee that took a pretty major side impact.

sleeper bird
06-01-2016, 12:18 AM
Oh man,now thats a freakin bad day for everyone involved

Bigscore
06-01-2016, 02:54 AM
Oh man,now thats a freakin bad day for everyone involved

Indeed you are correct. My body shop is estimating based on the pictures of the damage between both vehicles that it will total close to $8,000-$10,000, not to mention that this is our wheel chair accessible van and the rental to replace it while the Sprinter is in the body shop is roughly $200 a day.

Looks like I'll need a new rear factory step with sensors, tail light and minor body and paint to the rear door and quarter panel. The jeep cherokee has a crush passenger door and trim and glass. You guessed it. The sprinter packed a big punch with all its rolling mass.

Bigscore
06-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Just got an update from the MB dealer/Sprinter Service. So far they have tracked down the beginning of the issue. There is no power coming into the transmission control module relay and they don't know why. Currently they are tracking down the wiring diagram to find where to go next to find the short or tripped relay that supplies power to the TCM.

Any ideas are appreciated...

Oh, when the "jumped" the TCM relay power returned to the rear of the van powering up the lights in the rear cabin.

Aqua Puttana
06-01-2016, 06:13 PM
Have them double check that some trailer related component, or any misc. aftermarket device hasn't been tagged on to the TCM power or communication feed(s). It wouldn't be the first time that something tagged on worked ok forever until the right (wrong?) circumstances aligned the moon and stars to surface the problem. I recall one as being related to an aftermarket speaker system.

Good luck.

vic

sprintguy
06-01-2016, 06:24 PM
What other codes are in there ??? If no power to the TCM the vehicle will not start. What the MB/Sprinter dealer needs to know is that the TCM supplies power and ground to the relay to power it up. Now with that said , they might want to check the DPF flex pipe for it being torn and the wiring on the frame rail being melted internal to the taped up harness. There is a circuit 87 in there that controls not only the CDI but the NOX sensors and multiple other circuits. good luck

Carl

Bigscore
06-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Back up and running now. Well actually it was on Friday. Mercedes Mobile Alabama was a pleasure to deal with, they have several very good Sprinter Techs and the Service manager was very knowledgeable himself(Phil). They traced the issue to a burnt power relay up stream from the Transmission control module. Replaced it, cleared the codes and we were all good. The source of the issue was that the trailer brake 12v supply that was "wired directly to the battery" wasn't wired to the battery, the camper dealer tied into the power supply just below the burnt relay...so when I cranked on the auxiliary trailer brake button it fried the relay.

Long talk coming with the camper dealer who did the wiring. $550 tow, crashed van(not all that much visual damage), the van rolled uncontrolled off the rollback tow truck and rolled backwards 70' into the broadside of a jeep Cherokee. The jeep sustained $4,900 in damages to both passenger side doors and a bent B pillar. Looks like the 2004 jeep is a total loss. My damage will not be cheap either between the rear step bumper, sensors, dents in both rear doors, tail light damage and rear passenger side quarter scratches, and front bumper damage from it hitting the rollback bed on the violent offloading. Well, if you are ever broke down in Evergreen Alabama, maybe think twice about using the local tow company.